GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID requested on pink flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/167416-id-requested-pink-flower.html)

Richard Wright 22-11-2007 07:19 PM

ID requested on pink flower

This plant is coming up in a Sydney flower garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

[email protected] 22-11-2007 07:59 PM

ID requested on pink flower

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 06:19:51 +1100, Richard Wright wrote:

This plant is coming up in a Sydney flower garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

Impatians, sometimes called Balsam.

Richard Wright 23-11-2007 10:06 PM

ID requested on pink flower

wrote:

This plant is coming up in a Sydney flower garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

Thanks to posters on sci.bio.botany I got the lead to Clarkia
unguiculata.

http://www.birdmom.net/WildflowersOr...gant,DblCU.jpg

HC 23-11-2007 10:17 PM

ID requested on pink flower

It looks like Impatiens (Balsam) to me!! The leaves in the second photo
are different.

Bronwyn ;-)

David Hare-Scott 24-11-2007 04:39 AM

ID requested on pink flower

"HC" wrote in message ...
It looks like Impatiens (Balsam) to me!! The leaves in the second photo
are different.

Bronwyn ;-)

That's what I thought it was.

David

0tterbot 25-11-2007 07:46 AM

ID requested on pink flower

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"HC" wrote in message
It looks like Impatiens (Balsam) to me!! The leaves in the second photo
are different.

Bronwyn ;-)

That's what I thought it was.

the first one looks very like impatiens, the second one doesn't at all (to
me, anyway).

there are a lot of things that share flower-forms; it's not always wise to
go by what the flowers look like. impatiens has that particular looking stem
& growth though, which was not easy to see in either pic.(?)
kylie