Old 27-11-2007, 12:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default More about my lemon tree

G'day everyone. Thanks for all the responces to my lemon tree not
flowering and sorry for taking so long to respond. Anyway, the tree
is very healthy, plenty of folage even after a heavy pruning a few
months ago. One thing I never mentioned is that there is no sign of
grafting on the tree, so I am presuming it has grown from seed.
Does anyone know if a lemon tree grown from seed takes longer to
become productive than a grafted tree one would find at a nursery?
Also, if i want to grow other citrus trees from seed, what do i do?
Any links to web sites about this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Kind regards Warren.
Old 27-11-2007, 09:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Warren" wrote in message
G'day everyone. Thanks for all the responces to my lemon tree not
flowering and sorry for taking so long to respond. Anyway, the tree
is very healthy, plenty of folage even after a heavy pruning a few
months ago. One thing I never mentioned is that there is no sign of
grafting on the tree, so I am presuming it has grown from seed.
Does anyone know if a lemon tree grown from seed takes longer to
become productive than a grafted tree one would find at a nursery?
Also, if i want to grow other citrus trees from seed, what do i do?
Any links to web sites about this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Kind regards Warren.

Mine just flowered for the first time (7yrs) grown from seed. I had 7 at one
stage, have 3 left. One flowered after 2 years but it was the first casualty
when the local builder fed it saw dust.
Jim

Old 27-11-2007, 11:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article
,
Warren wrote:

Does anyone know if a lemon tree grown from seed takes longer to
become productive than a grafted tree one would find at a nursery?

Yes. See, the stock is older than the graft, so it gives the tree maturity.
Not sure how long the variation is. The other thing is that some seed-grown
citrus simply won't bear well. Our cultivars have been selected from highly
productive plants. A seed-grown plant could have wonderful or lousy
characteristics but you won't know until it fruits.

Also, if i want to grow other citrus trees from seed, what do i do?
Any links to web sites about this would be appreciated.

Try Global Garden or the Gardeninng Australia website.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/