Old 05-12-2007, 11:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What to do with the dark strip between the house and the fence?

On the western side of our house is a strip between the house and the fence.
About a meter wide it is currently bare dirt after new plumbing and fence
works. I was thinking of putting weedmat and some sort of rock mulch down
but wondered if there was any other alternative. We are getting a little dog
after Christmas and wondered what I could do down there to make it more dog
friendly. It gets no direct sun and the neighbor's house is directly over
the other side of the fence.
Do dogs like astroturf? Would that do as a weedstopper? Or is there a
drought resistant, shade loving real grass alternative?
Liz

Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
On the western side of our house is a strip between the house and the fence.
About a meter wide it is currently bare dirt after new plumbing and fence
works.

Many suburban houses have just such a problem area.

I was thinking of putting weedmat and some sort of rock mulch down
but wondered if there was any other alternative.

None that are really easy, cheap, look good, low maintenance, green, lean etc
etc. Aside from being dark many such places are also dry because the eves,
fence etc stop the rain from getting in. And due to the fence works often
subsoil has been brought to the surface. And of course whatever noxious thing
your neighbour has will come through the fence. Wandering jew is very tough
and tolerates low light. Do you like it?

We are getting a little dog
after Christmas and wondered what I could do down there to make it more dog
friendly.

Dogs love cool darkish spots to lay about during hot weather. As long as
there is some sun elsewhere for the cold days of winter your dog may love this
summer retreat.

It gets no direct sun and the neighbor's house is directly over
the other side of the fence.
Do dogs like astroturf?

Do you like picking up doggydoo off astroturf?

Would that do as a weedstopper? Or is there a
drought resistant, shade loving real grass alternative?

Grass? No. You will have weeds because they will outcompete the grass. And
how do you feel like mowing in such a tight space and doing all those edges?

I would go with weedmat and your favourite long-lasting mulch. I would choose
bark chips that will last for some years (I know stones last longer) but
that's a personal preference.

David

Old 07-12-2007, 01:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Dec 5, 10:06 pm, "Staycalm" wrote:
On the western side of our house is a strip between the house and the fence.
About a meter wide it is currently bare dirt after new plumbing and fence
works. I was thinking of putting weedmat and some sort of rock mulch down
but wondered if there was any other alternative. We are getting a little dog
after Christmas and wondered what I could do down there to make it more dog
friendly. It gets no direct sun and the neighbor's house is directly over
the other side of the fence.
Do dogs like astroturf? Would that do as a weedstopper? Or is there a
drought resistant, shade loving real grass alternative?
Liz

I'm thinking about using lilydale topping (or something similar) down
the side of my house. Should be fine with weeds, needs very little
maintenance and I can put a dog kennel down there so the dog can stay
comfortable and cool.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

Is the little dog going to be confined to this small strip between the house
and the fence? Dogs are pack animals, and if a little dog is left alone for
long periods of time in this kind of location, it will go mad with
loneliness and boredom. It will probably start barking out of sheer
desperation and drive your neighbours mad as well!

Unless you are prepared to spend time with a dog, exercising it every day,
learning about a dog's' basic needs and become a responsible dog owner,
please, please do not even consider getting a dog.

~Roberta~

u...