Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Ginger Family

I have a decorative plant which is a member of the ginger family,
Can you use the plant in the same fashion as ginger?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Bob Larkin" wrote in message
I have a decorative plant which is a member of the ginger family,
Can you use the plant in the same fashion as ginger?

If you are a bit camp :-)

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Like make up your mind, how hard is it to find real ginger?

Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day bob,

as far as i know the answer is no!

if yo go to an organic food shop and buy some raw ginger corms then
plant them you will have a never ending supply of it.

i would suggest you look for gal-n-gal, it is the indonesian version
of ginger for me the same taste, but then taste might depend on
growing conditions?

at least with gal-n-gal it doesn't die off for winter as ginger does
and it is fairly frost hardy and drought resistant.

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:36:32 +1100, Bob Larkin
wrote:

I have a decorative plant which is a member of the ginger family,
Can you use the plant in the same fashion as ginger?

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

"len garden" wrote in message
news
g'day bob,

as far as i know the answer is no!

if yo go to an organic food shop and buy some raw ginger corms then
plant them you will have a never ending supply of it.

If you live in a subtropical area.

i would suggest you look for gal-n-gal, it is the indonesian version
of ginger for me the same taste, but then taste might depend on
growing conditions?

Galangal is related to ginger but the taste is fairly different. They are not
interchangeable in cooking.

David

Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day david,

we might have to beg to differ on that aspect, ginger is ginger, and
as one hears from tv cooks some say it is stronger flavour some say
not as for me it serves the same purpose.

snipped

Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 PM posted to aus.gardens

len garden wrote:
g'day david,

we might have to beg to differ on that aspect, ginger is ginger, and
as one hears from tv cooks some say it is stronger flavour some say
not as for me it serves the same purpose.

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:56:39 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

I'll buy in here, both ginger and galangal are members of the family
Zingiberaceae however ginger is a member of the genus Zingiber
(Z.officinale) whilst galanangal is a member of the genus Alpinia
(A.galanga). Though they may taste similar they are quite different.

Horses (Equus caballus) and donkeys (Equus asinus) are more closely related
to each other tan ginger and galangal.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

"len garden" wrote in message
g'day david,

we might have to beg to differ on that aspect, ginger is ginger, and
as one hears from tv cooks some say it is stronger flavour some say
not as for me it serves the same purpose.

Have you tried both ginger and galangal in cooking? If not don't believe the
commentators. To my taste you cannot use them interchangeably, the flavour is
so different unless you knew they were related you wouldn't guess from the
flavour. But as you say, we must agree to disagree. De gustibus non est
disputandum.

David

Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

Bob Larkin writes:
I have a decorative plant which is a member of the ginger family,
Can you use the plant in the same fashion as ginger?

You mean, is it likely to be edible? I believe the answer is no.
I've wished the same as you, but every time I see an impressive
ornamental ginger on a tv gardening show, they hasten to add that
it is not edible.

Does the cut root even have a ginger odour?