Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default instant post supports

I saw a gardening program on tv some months ago showing someone screwing a
metal tube into the ground with a U-shape stirrup attached for a wood post.
It was an instant board-walk support. No digging of holes and filling with
concrete. Can anyone tell me the name of the gadget.

I have tried searching the internet with words like screw-in piles, earth
piles, and several other combinations to no avail. There are big versions
of these things on building sites. This gadget was for gardens.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:19:17 GMT, "Stan Pierce" wrote:

I saw a gardening program on tv some months ago showing someone screwing a
metal tube into the ground with a U-shape stirrup attached for a wood post.
It was an instant board-walk support. No digging of holes and filling with
concrete. Can anyone tell me the name of the gadget.

I have tried searching the internet with words like screw-in piles, earth
piles, and several other combinations to no avail. There are big versions
of these things on building sites. This gadget was for gardens.

They don't work. Nothing beats good foundations.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

I saw a gardening program on tv some months ago showing someone screwing
metal tube into the ground with a U-shape stirrup attached for a wood
post.
It was an instant board-walk support. No digging of holes and filling
with
concrete. Can anyone tell me the name of the gadget.

I have tried searching the internet with words like screw-in piles, earth
piles, and several other combinations to no avail. There are big
versions
of these things on building sites. This gadget was for gardens.

They don't work. Nothing beats good foundations.

I found them today...called Mailbox Post Ground Screw. Anything to avoid
the digging of holes and filling with concrete would do for a boardwalk
round the garden surely. It only needs to be a foot off the ground.
http://www.exterior-accents.com/mapo...yword=mapogrsc

Old 13-12-2007, 12:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

Stan Pierce wrote:

I found them today...called Mailbox Post Ground Screw. Anything to avoid
the digging of holes and filling with concrete would do for a boardwalk
round the garden surely. It only needs to be a foot off the ground.
http://www.exterior-accents.com/mapo...yword=mapogrsc

Stability?

What is the comparative price of cinder/concrete blocks?

Actually, I'd even do it in railway sleepers, since I have a chain saw.

Old 13-12-2007, 02:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Stan Pierce wrote:

I found them today...called Mailbox Post Ground Screw. Anything to avoid
the digging of holes and filling with concrete would do for a boardwalk
round the garden surely. It only needs to be a foot off the ground.

http://www.exterior-accents.com/mapo...yword=mapogrsc

Stability?

What is the comparative price of cinder/concrete blocks?

Actually, I'd even do it in railway sleepers, since I have a chain saw.

Maybe if I explain why I want to use them. The garden is on a slope. I
have come to the conclusion, because of water shortage, that if I make a
board walk from the deck and extend a metre wide boardwalk around the
garden, I can then plant more trees or bushes either side of the boardwalk.
This does away with lawn, which has become a pain seeing it die. The
boardwalk also makes for a level stroll.
The number of piers to dig and fill with concrete would amount to at least
twenty holes, probably more. It's a no-deal. That's why those screw-in
supports look such a good idea.

Old 13-12-2007, 04:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Stan Pierce wrote:

Maybe if I explain why I want to use them. The garden is on a slope.

How are you going to go down slope?

The number of piers to dig and fill with concrete would amount to at least
twenty holes, probably more.

I wasn't advocating filling these with concrete. Just setting them on a
level spot to provde elevation.

It's a no-deal. That's why those screw-in
supports look such a good idea.

My only concern would be stability over time. If they do not go in a
good depth, which you have to screw in, sideways forces can cause a
bigger and bigger wobble over time. It may not be a problem

But, as you say, you have to do the work and I can appreciate physical
limitations. Give them a try.

BTW, you can dig holes with post hole diggers, which can be easier than
a shovel, especially with the right soil. clay is bad and hard, loam
works well. Worst is sandy soil where you are on knees with tin in hand
to scoop out lossened soil. 2 rock do not help either.

I support 2m wide mesh trellis with 6" hole from post hole digger, brace
2" pipe in position, fill with bag of concrete mix about 600mm depth.

If I had access to a supply of 100mm or bigger plastic pipe, I might try
post hole digger, fill hole with concrete mix, insert plastic pipe to
level needed, then fill rest of pipe with concrete. I've used this to
support multiple teirs of a water feature, but it was a back filled
site, so they actually were just a concrete filled pipe on a cap slab.

Anyway, if you get them, please let us know how they go.
Old 13-12-2007, 06:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
(snipped)
My only concern would be stability over time. If they do not go in a
good depth, which you have to screw in, sideways forces can cause a bigger
and bigger wobble over time. It may not be a problem

I do see a need to adapt them to stop sideways lean. Cut 300mm squares of
5mm plate steel and a 50mm hole punched in the centre. Place on the ground
and screw the post holder through the hole. A tent peg driven against two
edges will fix it.

Sideways lean is the only fault I can see in them at the moment. There is
no upward lift to worry about.
I want no more of that concreting business. Plus the fact you can unscrew
these and place the walk elswhere if you want to. And no mess. I'd make
them myself if I could work out how they put that spiral on the shaft.
Looks like a lot of welding to me.
I also think the gadget could be improved in design....especially a collar
to stop the sideways lean...but also the spiral only needs to be near the
tip and about half way up with a wider cutting edge at that point ...to act
as an anti-lean collar...more metal spiral surface to press on the
soil....if you see what I mean. I see a big future in the idea.

Instant Hedge! Simon C United Kingdom 2 25-07-2004 12:05 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mchiper Lawns 0 01-09-2003 11:22 PM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mone [email protected] Lawns 0 24-08-2003 11:43 AM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 2 16-07-2003 06:25 PM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 09:17 PM