GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What insects are these? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/168073-what-insects-these.html)

Richard Wright 18-12-2007 09:58 PM

What insects are these?

Found these insects lurking under a citrus leaf this morning, in
Sydney.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rx8jh0okoh.JPG

There are 13 spheres and 13 insects, so I assume they have recently
hatched from eggs.

What in the name of fortune are they?

Staycalm[_2_] 19-12-2007 03:46 AM

What insects are these?

Interesting.
Do they have wings?
External conspicuous mouthparts?
I find this useful sometimes.
http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/key/couplet_01.html
Cheers
Liz

Trish Brown 19-12-2007 08:35 AM

What insects are these?

Richard Wright wrote:
Found these insects lurking under a citrus leaf this morning, in
Sydney.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rx8jh0okoh.JPG

There are 13 spheres and 13 insects, so I assume they have recently
hatched from eggs.

What in the name of fortune are they?

They look like Bronze Citrus bugs to me. These are hatchlings, so
they'll go through several moults and metamorphoses until they reach
adulthood. Now would be the best time to get rid of them: don't wait for
them to grow up!

The adults are very large true bugs (sucking mouthparts), dark bronze in
colour, which congregate at the growing tips of citrus trees and suck
the life out of your precious lemon or orange tree. A bad infestation
will prevent proper flowering or cause all fruit to drop. so it's worth
getting rid of these pests quick-smart. If you disturb them, they will
spray a noxious caustic liquid at you and it STINKS!!! The liquid is
supposed to be pretty dangerous if it gets in your eyes, so be careful.

You can spray the creatures, but this will prompt them to point their
rear ends at you and give you a blast in return (AVOID THIS AT ALL
COSTS!) I think the best way of getting rid of them is to pick them off
by hand or knock them off with a stick. Do a little tap-dance on their
heads when they're on the ground or drop them into hot water. Be very
careful not to let an animal near them, as the caustic spray will get
into its eyes. Oh, and use gloves.

HTH,

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Richard Wright 19-12-2007 06:45 PM

What insects are these?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:35:37 +1100, Trish Brown
wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but the bugs in my photo do not resemble the flat and pale
green instars of Bronze Citrus bugs that I know and which are
illustrated at:

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisb...OrangeBugs.htm

wtf 19-12-2007 08:35 PM

What insects are these?

They look like the young of the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.

if not that particular one then still definately a stink bug of sorts
.....squash em and see :-)