GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Herb garden help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/168191-herb-garden-help.html)

gaap 24-12-2007 05:14 AM

Herb garden help

I am trying to establish a small herb garden. Can anyone tell me what I
should plant in an area about 1 meter square? I would prefer perennials.

Thanks

David Hare-Scott 24-12-2007 10:19 AM

Herb garden help

"gaap" wrote in message
I am trying to establish a small herb garden. Can anyone tell me what I
should plant in an area about 1 meter square? I would prefer perennials.

Thanks

Types of herbs are quite variable in the conditions that they like. What is
your climate like? What is your soil like? Is this 1 metre plot sunny or
shady, well drained or not? What do you want to do with the herbs?

David

FarmI 24-12-2007 12:30 PM

Herb garden help

"gaap" wrote in message
I am trying to establish a small herb garden. Can anyone tell me what I
should plant in an area about 1 meter square? I would prefer perennials.

A rosemary bush would fill up that size spot and then spill over the edges.

loosecanon 24-12-2007 03:36 PM

Herb garden help

"gaap" wrote in message
I am trying to establish a small herb garden. Can anyone tell me what I
should plant in an area about 1 meter square? I would prefer perennials.

Thanks

1 sq mtr = 1 tyhme, 1 oregano, 1 sage, one parsley and one sweet marjoram

or

1 rosemary

or

a pot of mint

They are mostly perennials too or self seed.

Chookie 26-12-2007 11:09 AM

Herb garden help

In article ,
"gaap" wrote:

I am trying to establish a small herb garden. Can anyone tell me what I
should plant in an area about 1 meter square? I would prefer perennials.

I'd suggest leaving it until March. Whatever you plant now will fry in
February. For now, just get it ready.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/

Jonno[_15_] 26-12-2007 11:59 AM

Herb garden help

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"gaap" wrote:

I am trying to establish a small herb garden. Can anyone tell me what I
should plant in an area about 1 meter square? I would prefer perennials.

I'd suggest leaving it until March. Whatever you plant now will fry in
February. For now, just get it ready.

Not if you keep it watered and shaded, depends on where you live...And
if you have enough water...

Chookie 28-12-2007 01:36 PM

Herb garden help

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

I'd suggest leaving it until March. Whatever you plant now will fry in
February. For now, just get it ready.

Not if you keep it watered and shaded, depends on where you live...And
if you have enough water...

.... and time to organise its application...

Less hassle to wait till March. The summer can be spent at the beach instead.

Jonno[_16_] 29-12-2007 02:45 AM

Herb garden help

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

I'd suggest leaving it until March. Whatever you plant now will fry in
February. For now, just get it ready.

Not if you keep it watered and shaded, depends on where you live...And
if you have enough water...

... and time to organise its application...

Less hassle to wait till March. The summer can be spent at the beach instead.

Try here for tough herbs not the chookie wimpy type herbs (grin!)

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2111258.htm
Who wants to cook and get cancer at the beach? We love our garden!
Laughs aside, it took my wife some time to realise how to use these
herbs in cooking, and now she does, she's always suggesting new ones to
grow...No peace for the wicked... Summertime or anytime, herbs are no
bother!

0tterbot 31-12-2007 12:49 AM

Herb garden help

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

I'd suggest leaving it until March. Whatever you plant now will fry in
February. For now, just get it ready.

Not if you keep it watered and shaded, depends on where you live...And
if you have enough water...

... and time to organise its application...

Less hassle to wait till March. The summer can be spent at the beach
instead.

Try here for tough herbs not the chookie wimpy type herbs (grin!)

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2111258.htm
Who wants to cook and get cancer at the beach? We love our garden!
Laughs aside, it took my wife some time to realise how to use these herbs
in cooking, and now she does, she's always suggesting new ones to
grow...No peace for the wicked... Summertime or anytime, herbs are no
bother!

i agree - whilst admitting i'm notorious for planting out at the "wrong"
time (but almost everything lives, so i don't really find it's "wrong" ;-).
.... anyway, we lived at bondi for years & years & i almost never went to the
beach - i'm an inland person g. seed grown in spring is usually ready to
plant out when the weather's already warm, so there you are. i was planting
out last night & will keep on with it again tonight.

ime little plants need a bit of coddling if you're planting out when the
weather is warm - lots of watering for about a week, good mulching & perhaps
shading if practical (it would be practical & simple to shade only 1 sq
metre). they should be fine.

1 each of curly parsley and italian parsley (both of which will end up
everywhere once they seed)
1 thyme or lemon thyme
1 small patch each of chives and garlic chives
if possible, a hanging rosemary which could be planted in one corner & grow
over the edge? (otherwise it won't fit)
.... which would hopefully leave room for a couple of basils, dills,
corianders or such each summer which would die in winter.
you might have room for a small mint in a bottomless pot, if you like mint.
otherwise, maybe a spinach or silverbeet. (not a herb of course, but works
for me).

things like oregano & sage would be excellent & very nice-looking, but ime
they just get too big & might have to go in seperate garden spots or perhaps
in pots. herbs are more-ish though. i'm growing more & more of them & can't
seem to stop! one big point in their favour is nothing seems to kill them.
:-)
kylie

Jonno[_16_] 31-12-2007 02:25 AM

Herb garden help

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

I am afraid I tend to be antisocial to plants, as to when I plant them,
ignoring seasons and get through by understanding their needs and having
plenty of time on my hands, though in the last four weeks this wasnt so,
and I had to neglect the garden, leaving it all in the hands of my
flower loving wife, who didnt realise that vegetables rebel when they
run out of water and run to seed. Now we have peas and beans that shot
through, silverbeet gone to seed and the pumpkins have taken over the
whole vegie garden due her her "composting" the seeds. ARGHH! Some of
the tomatoes are also history...
I am showing her this post. If I survive its because she understands my
needs at least....

0tterbot 01-01-2008 03:31 AM

Herb garden help

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

I am afraid I tend to be antisocial to plants, as to when I plant them,
ignoring seasons and get through by understanding their needs and having
plenty of time on my hands,

i find it helps me work out what's really truly wrong to do & will result in
total failure (& therefore not bother with again), & what is just good
advice that you can tweak a bit because you hadn't the time at the "right"
time ;-)

i feel a lot of gardening advice is a bit like medical advice - it's all
theory & might not apply in real life. for example, almost every vegetable
(say, 90%) is to be planted in spring - but at the same time one is
counselled to avoid a glut by successive plantings over several months - so,
which is it? you won't find out unless you try!

though in the last four weeks this wasnt so,
and I had to neglect the garden, leaving it all in the hands of my flower
loving wife, who didnt realise that vegetables rebel when they run out of
water and run to seed.

is your wife my husband in drag?! he knows no middle path - he either
ignores things outright or gives them so much love they die of it ;-) (i
prefer it when he ignores things - safer that way).

Now we have peas and beans that shot
through, silverbeet gone to seed and the pumpkins have taken over the
whole vegie garden due her her "composting" the seeds. ARGHH! Some of the
tomatoes are also history...
I am showing her this post. If I survive its because she understands my
needs at least....

does that mean you won't bolt in hot weather cos she is looking after you
better?
kylie

Jonno[_16_] 01-01-2008 06:08 AM

Herb garden help

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

[...]

Good One!!!
Crikey, that would never occur. Its the garden! You must understand that
education is only for those willing to learn, and put some effort in it.
The Vege garden gave her great feed back. The rest will make the same
mistakes again and again. At least she's learn t that I do a great job
in the garden, and I reckon she's a bit slow sometimes (grin!)