Old 27-12-2007, 09:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default immature citrus fruit dropping off

I have patiently and excitedly waited for my lime tree (in a terracotta pot)
and my lemon tree (young and planted in the ground) to bud and produce
fruit. All was going well, lots of flowers, lots of tiny little limes and
lemons only to see them drop off and disappear! I am very disheartened. Any
tips on why this is happening? I notice the kaffir lime I have nearby is
thriving and producing lots of useless kaffir limes!! :-( I have noticed
some cobwebs on my lime..... any ideas?

Old 28-12-2007, 12:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Claude" wrote:

I have patiently and excitedly waited for my lime tree (in a terracotta pot)
and my lemon tree (young and planted in the ground) to bud and produce
fruit. All was going well, lots of flowers, lots of tiny little limes and
lemons only to see them drop off and disappear! I am very disheartened. Any
tips on why this is happening? I notice the kaffir lime I have nearby is
thriving and producing lots of useless kaffir limes!! :-( I have noticed
some cobwebs on my lime..... any ideas?

I'm afraid it's a natural process -- they set a lot of fruit, then most of
them drop off. They are practicing for next year, when I trust you will get
some fruit, though not a huge number. Remember that young plants are still
establishing themselves and getting the hang of reproduction. They're
actually a pair of sullen, spotty teenagers slouching in your back yard, not
yet responsible members of society.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 28-12-2007, 01:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Claude" wrote:

[...]

Depends on the age of the trees
The same thing will happen with a lack of water ... or perhaps
Too much water
Or even with a lack of bees for fertilisation
The latter is a problem I am facing at the moment
Not only with fruit trees, but also melons, pumpkins and marrows
Forced to artificially cross fertilise manually using male
flowers for the pumpkins

Old 30-12-2007, 12:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

"giovani" wrote in message

"Chookie" wrote in message

Thanks Chooke and Giovani for the advice (and thanks Chookie for a good
laugh! Spotty teenagers indeed!)

Old 30-12-2007, 01:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Claude wrote:
"giovani" wrote in message
"Chookie" wrote in message

Thanks Chooke and Giovani for the advice (and thanks Chookie for a good
laugh! Spotty teenagers indeed!)

While the root system is developing, they do act like spotty teenagers,
but if the tree is kept well fertilised, the acne disappears in some,
letting the fruit hand around to develop properly...
It all spends on the jeans.

Old 30-12-2007, 11:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Claude wrote:

Claude wrote:
"giovani" wrote in message

"Chookie" wrote in message

Thanks Chooke and Giovani for the advice (and thanks Chookie for a

good laugh! Spotty teenagers indeed!)

While the root system is developing, they do act like spotty teenagers,
but if the tree is kept well fertilised, the acne disappears in some,
letting the fruit hang around to develop properly...
It all depends on the jeans.