Old 28-12-2007, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Hawaiian Passionfruit

"HC" wrote in message
G'day

Does anyone here grow Hawaiian Passionfruit and have a spare fruit that I
could use for seed please? I've just tasted this variety and it's a 'must
have'. Of course, I'll pay for postage costs etc.

Thanks heaps
Bronwyn ;-)

Not sure what you mean by Hawaiian passion fruit as the passion fruit was
introduced to Hawaii from Australia around 1920
so you would have been eating the Australian passion fruit
but it originally from Brazil

but if you insist, I will try to get some from a friend in Hawaii

Old 28-12-2007, 08:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"George W. Frost" wrote in message

but if you insist, I will try to get some from a friend in Hawaii

Perhaps a check first with AQIS to see if such can be brought in?

David

Old 28-12-2007, 09:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"George W. Frost" wrote in message

but if you insist, I will try to get some from a friend in Hawaii

Perhaps a check first with AQIS to see if such can be brought in?

David

Easy done, he can stuff them into his shoes, then the seeds will be able to
get a foothold in the ground when he gets here

Old 28-12-2007, 11:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

"George W. Frost" wrote in message

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"George W. Frost" wrote in message

but if you insist, I will try to get some from a friend in Hawaii

Perhaps a check first with AQIS to see if such can be brought in?

David

Easy done, he can stuff them into his shoes, then the seeds will be able to
get a foothold in the ground when he gets here

Perhaps if he plants his feet.

The point is that foreign plant diseases etc can be introduced if proper care
is not taken with seeds and plant material.

David

Old 29-12-2007, 02:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"George W. Frost" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"George W. Frost" wrote in message
but if you insist, I will try to get some from a friend in Hawaii

Perhaps a check first with AQIS to see if such can be brought in?

David

Easy done, he can stuff them into his shoes, then the seeds will be able to
get a foothold in the ground when he gets here

Perhaps if he plants his feet.

The point is that foreign plant diseases etc can be introduced if proper care
is not taken with seeds and plant material.

David

Why bother messing when you can buy them locally?
See here...
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%...ssionfruit.htm
Passion fruit actually grow in the wild in australia these days, and in
the back of my mind there is a story which tells me some varieties might
be local varieties, not originated from Brazil.. But I'm not sure....
Will check some more, and get back to you later.

Old 29-12-2007, 03:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

The original variety the purple one was imported from Brazil, the yellow
variety is thought to be a hybrid misteak which just happened so they
capitalised on it

Old 29-12-2007, 03:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day George

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass due to quarantine reasons. If I
wanted to go that route I could have put a fruit in my own shoe last week.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 29-12-2007, 04:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

The fruit I ate was a yellow skinned variety and the pulp was quite
pale, not at all bright yellow like the black skinned fruit I normally
buy. It wasn't acidic either, in fact quite sweet and when I enquired
was told it was a 'Hawaiian'. Unfortunately they didn't know the
botanical name for the variety, which of course, I realise would have
made things much easier.

Skin-colour is not important, I really liked the flavour of the pulp.

Bronwyn ;-)

George W. Frost wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Old 29-12-2007, 08:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message
G'day George

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass due to quarantine reasons. If I wanted
to go that route I could have put a fruit in my own shoe last week.

Bronwyn ;-)

Not a problem, I have purchased the yellow variety here in OZ at different
times and I thought they were a bit bland, I am sure you could pick tthem up
at Safeways

Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message
The fruit I ate was a yellow skinned variety and the pulp was quite pale,
not at all bright yellow like the black skinned fruit I normally buy. It
wasn't acidic either, in fact quite sweet and when I enquired was told it
was a 'Hawaiian'. Unfortunately they didn't know the botanical name for
the variety, which of course, I realise would have made things much
easier.

Skin-colour is not important, I really liked the flavour of the pulp.

Bronwyn ;-)

is it the kind known as "banana passionfruit"?
kylie

Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

No, Kylie....Banana Passionfruit are elongated and Hawaiian's are round.
They looked like Panama Red (which I've discovered they are related
to) but the skin is a yellow/green. Pulp is quite pale, very very sweet
and not at all acidic. Really lovely tasting and that's why I want
one!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 01-01-2008, 05:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Bronwyn,

I was in a Flower Power store yesterday and saw packets of Hawaiian
passionfruit seeds, so they are readily available in Aus. Of course,
I can't remember which seed company it was that was selling them, but
if Flower Power is selling them then they must be fairly easy to get.
If you are anywhere near Sydney you could try the Mt Annan (Narellan)
FP store.

Tish

Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Thanks so much Tish. Have never heard of FP. I'm on the MidNorthCoast
of NSW.

Thanks heaps
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message
No, Kylie....Banana Passionfruit are elongated and Hawaiian's are round.
They looked like Panama Red (which I've discovered they are related to)
but the skin is a yellow/green. Pulp is quite pale, very very sweet and
not at all acidic. Really lovely tasting and that's why I want one!! LOL

I looked in my Aussie Plant finder and it says that there are 2 nurseries
which have this variety (or at least they describe it as being 'Hawaian
Gold'). these nuseries a
Tropiculture Australia in the NT ph no; 08 8988 1119 - they don't do mail
order but if you are in the NT it may help, and
Pembroke Gardens Pembrooke NSW, ph no 02 6585 9329 and they will do mail
order.

Bear in mind that this publication is now a few years old.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Thanks!! Uh oh, the Pembroke one is only about 30 mins away and I
didn't even know about it! (crawling under the desk) LOL I'll phone
them and post the results, that way it might help other people too.

Thanks again for all the help.
Bronwyn ;-)

FarmI wrote:
"HC" wrote in message

No, Kylie....Banana Passionfruit are elongated and Hawaiian's are round.
They looked like Panama Red (which I've discovered they are related to)
but the skin is a yellow/green. Pulp is quite pale, very very sweet and
not at all acidic. Really lovely tasting and that's why I want one!! LOL

I looked in my Aussie Plant finder and it says that there are 2 nurseries
which have this variety (or at least they describe it as being 'Hawaian
Gold'). these nuseries a
Tropiculture Australia in the NT ph no; 08 8988 1119 - they don't do mail
order but if you are in the NT it may help, and
Pembroke Gardens Pembrooke NSW, ph no 02 6585 9329 and they will do mail
order.

Bear in mind that this publication is now a few years old.

Hawaiian plant name Sacha United Kingdom 6 17-04-2009 01:12 PM
C. Hawaiian Wedding Song x BLC. Elizabeth Hearn - GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 14-12-2003 09:37 PM
Hawaiian gardening Terry Horton Texas 0 26-06-2003 05:53 PM
Hawaiian gardening Terry Horton Texas 0 26-06-2003 05:52 PM
Hawaiian Baby Wood Rose MMMavocado Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 02:30 PM