Old 28-12-2007, 10:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Palm Problems

Hi,

We have a some large Kentias and Alexander palms located in different areas
of the garden.

Over the last 6 months ,the palm leaves are turning brown and looking very
shabby ,almost like they are getting burnt. The palms are still growing and
are getting new leaves but they soon turn brown.

We have not had a lot of hot weather so I know it not burning .

Any help would be appreciated

Old 29-12-2007, 07:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

Greg William wrote:
I am in Sydney

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Greg William wrote:
Hi,

We have a some large Kentias and Alexander palms located in different
areas of the garden.

Over the last 6 months ,the palm leaves are turning brown and looking
very shabby ,almost like they are getting burnt. The palms are still
growing and are getting new leaves but they soon turn brown.

We have not had a lot of hot weather so I know it not burning .

Any help would be appreciated

Where do you live?

Watering Kentias can be tricky. If your tap water is on the hard side,
switch to filtered, distilled or rainwater.(A bit of overkill I would
say) This shouldn't be a problem in Sydney. Allow the soil to dry out in
between thorough waterings.
Over watering is the most common problem with these palms. Allow the
soil to dry out Over watered Kentias will get brown tips and then yellow
spots on the fronds. Under watering will cause brown tips and the fronds
will droop somewhat.

Humidity and plant pests are rarely a problem for Kentias.

Yellow tips on a Kentia palm are a generic symptom with several possible
causes, not just a single cause.

Kentias need bright, but indirect light.

Kentias do not like their roots disturbed.

Let us know how you do with these. We would all like to know...

For the Alexander palms, see this link, which may relate in some way to
both problems regarding nutrient deficiencies
...http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP119
Old 29-12-2007, 08:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Greg William wrote:
I am in Sydney

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Greg William wrote:
Hi,

We have a some large Kentias and Alexander palms located in different
areas of the garden.

Over the last 6 months ,the palm leaves are turning brown and looking
very shabby ,almost like they are getting burnt. The palms are still
growing and are getting new leaves but they soon turn brown.

We have not had a lot of hot weather so I know it not burning .

Any help would be appreciated

Where do you live?

Watering Kentias can be tricky. If your tap water is on the hard side,
switch to filtered, distilled or rainwater.(A bit of overkill I would
say) This shouldn't be a problem in Sydney. Allow the soil to dry out in
between thorough waterings.
Over watering is the most common problem with these palms. Over watered

Old 29-12-2007, 07:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day greg,

we ahd similar problem occur soon after we planted a largish majestic
palm, it started this die back sort of growth ie.,. grew new fronds
but they didn't last as long as they should.

soil tests revealed that in this case we ahdn't used enough lime as in
this one patch of agrden the sub soil was acid. we where able to
remove the palm and redo the dolomite ammendment and the palm grew
great after that.

so wonder if the ph has changed around the plams? dig down around 6"s
inside the drip lines to get a soil sample and get the ph tested most
good nurseries do that for free.

if it is the case then we hope the soil is soft so you can use a
crowbar to creat holes to drop dolomite down as well as spread it
around the surface and mulch over the top of it.

have you also done a google for palm problems whatever? and it also
may not heurt to talk to a palm nursery expert i fone will listen?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:33:03 +1100, "Greg William"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev