Old 30-12-2007, 03:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
Don Don is offline

Default cherry tree pruning

Folks

I have two stellar cherries and have cropped these for the year but am now
suffering an infestation of cherry slug that has skeletonised about on third
of the leaves. I was wondering whether I should spray with Caboryl or just
let nature take its course. If I leave the leaves alone and they get mainly
skeletonised will that effect next years growth? Could I simply prune the
trees now back say by a third or greater? Any information will be
appreciated

Don

Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Don" wrote in message
Folks

I have two stellar cherries and have cropped these for the year but am now
suffering an infestation of cherry slug that has skeletonised about on
third of the leaves. I was wondering whether I should spray with Caboryl
or just let nature take its course. If I leave the leaves alone and they
get mainly skeletonised will that effect next years growth? Could I
simply prune the trees now back say by a third or greater? Any
information will be appreciated

Don

well, if you don't do anything you will have the same situation next year, i
can tell you that! :-)

afaik, it's a situation which is essentially harmless unless it's really out
of control - then the tree could suffer as it can't photosynthesise
properly.

have been looking in my books concerning what to do about p&c slugs on some
of my trees - one i just flipped through recommended arsenate of
lead(!!!!!!!!!!!!) (i somehow doubt one can even still buy such things). i
know you can spray with carbaryl. you might not want to (i don't). pruning
will reduce numbers, if you wanted to prune anyway, but i'd expect you'll
still have the problem next near.

i'm going to keep looking concerning my own trees & will update when/if i
work out what to do (as an organic solution). otherwise, don't panic, as the
tree won't drop dead from it in the short term. it looks worse than it is.
kylie

Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Don Don is offline

Kylie

Thanks

Don from Down Under

Old 03-01-2008, 10:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

Don wrote:
Folks

I have two stellar cherries and have cropped these for the year but am
now suffering an infestation of cherry slug that has skeletonised about
on third of the leaves. I was wondering whether I should spray with
Caboryl or just let nature take its course. If I leave the leaves alone
and they get mainly skeletonised will that effect next years growth?
Could I simply prune the trees now back say by a third or greater? Any
information will be appreciated

Don

yyu might like to look at this site

http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/l...382324234.html

cheers,
Pete

Old 25-07-2008, 01:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Recently read about an organic method for Pear & Cherry slug.

Keep your firebox ashes. Sift out charcoal. Dig in to the soil around
the affected tree or tree's. Pear & Cherry slug is the larvae of the
Sawfly.
Do this from anytime now on. Add after rain. Cheers,
Ann.

--
Posted at www.Usenet.com.au
Old 26-07-2008, 05:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message ...
Recently read about an organic method for Pear & Cherry slug.

Keep your firebox ashes. Sift out charcoal. Dig in to the soil around
the affected tree or tree's. Pear & Cherry slug is the larvae of the
Sawfly.
Do this from anytime now on. Add after rain. Cheers,
Ann.

how interesting! (and a little odd). not long after i wrote that post i read
to try throwing wood ashes onto the slugs; it dries them out & they die.
(being a sensible person, i got dh to do it instead of me. i think he got
most of the ash on himself & about none on the slugs!)

what is digging in the ashes designed to do? will it stop the babies in the
ground from ever hatching & climbing the tree?
thanks.
kylie