Old 09-01-2008, 05:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default recommendations for lawn alternative

"Jonno" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
Otherwise concrete with artificial grass would kick ass

Have you turned into a Yank? Or do you really want to mention kicking a
donkey?

It rhymes...

No it doesn't. 'Arse' rhymes with 'Grass'. 'Ass' rhymes with 'Lass' in this
country.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

"George W. Frost" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message

Do not know of anything that will handle shade and kids unless you select
a mulch you like like pea(nut) straw which s generally finer cut and
softer.

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have
some noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

:-)) I've heard of peanut hulls for mulch. Peanut straw is a one I've yet
to hear of, but would give it if it's the right price.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
Otherwise concrete with artificial grass would kick ass
Have you turned into a Yank? Or do you really want to mention kicking a
donkey?

It rhymes...

No it doesn't. 'Arse' rhymes with 'Grass'. 'Ass' rhymes with 'Lass' in this
country.

Ass as in Donkey Ass as in pass and grass and what you sit on, and some
of us think with.....and frankly this is a incredulous argument.

Try here http://theargumentclinic.blogspot.com/

Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for those who replied with helpful suggestions. Another idea I've
just had is to check out what the actual weeds growing there are. After all
a weed is just a plant where it's not wanted. I thought maybe if I chose
the most attractive, lowest one, and if it's not bad to have around maybe
that would do the job, and encourage just that one. I know it would like
the conditions.

Old 15-01-2008, 10:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "Linda" wrote:

Hi, we have a small backyard with a beautiful big tree and lots of shade
during the summer which is great for the kids - not having to worry about
sunscreen when they play outside. It does mean of course that lawn won't
grow - thats fine, we're not big gardeners, and what with regular mowing and
water restrictions it's not an option. But currently there is a mix of dirt
areas, weeds and so forth so it would be nice to have something semi
attractive.
So I'm looking for suggestions - I've been looking at various gardening
sites, and seen ideas such as Vinca Minor, chamomile, moss and of course
mondo grass but I'm sure there must be lots of possibilites I don't know
about.

I'd put down pine bark, if it's that shady.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/