Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default recommendations for lawn alternative

Hi, we have a small backyard with a beautiful big tree and lots of shade
during the summer which is great for the kids - not having to worry about
sunscreen when they play outside. It does mean of course that lawn won't
grow - thats fine, we're not big gardeners, and what with regular mowing and
water restrictions it's not an option. But currently there is a mix of dirt
areas, weeds and so forth so it would be nice to have something semi
attractive.
So I'm looking for suggestions - I've been looking at various gardening
sites, and seen ideas such as Vinca Minor, chamomile, moss and of course
mondo grass but I'm sure there must be lots of possibilites I don't know
about.

So prerequisites - low maintenance, suitable for kids to play on, grows in
very shady area during summer, (but tree loses leaves in winter so has to
still survive), ok for humid conditions, drought tolerant (or happy with
grey water every now and then), doesn't cost too much to establish (very
limited budget), and if it was a mozzie deterant that would absolutely
wonderful as we have a problem with them as well when we're outside.

It doesn't matter if it takes a while to spread, I'm not in a hurry, but I
would like to do something - and if it can be grown from seed that would be
nice and cheap too.

Thanks for any suggestions

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

I'd move house and put in some real grass,and make those kids live in a
real environment where the sun shines, mosquito's bite and dogs bark.
Otherwise concrete with artificial grass would kick ass and really
wouldnt allow your kids to experience real vegetation. this would be for
the best perhaps... Otherwise it seems you have the answers. Go to the
local nursery and ask qeustions get those...
You cant win em all though. I'd move... or become bit of a gardener.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno hits the nerve !!

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

u...

Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

..

So prerequisites - low maintenance,

Lots of things depending on what you mean by maintenance.

suitable for kids to play on,

No can do. Grass is the most durable and even that will not survive the
attentions of energetic kids unless you help it along. Other ground covers
are less durable and will result in big maintenance or having to exclude kids
or both.

grows in
very shady area during summer, (but tree loses leaves in winter so has to
still survive), ok for humid conditions, drought tolerant (or happy with
grey water every now and then), doesn't cost too much to establish (very
limited budget), and if it was a mozzie deterant that would absolutely
wonderful as we have a problem with them as well when we're outside.

You are asking a lot here. As well as mozzie deterent why not ask for ant and
spider repellent? :-)

It doesn't matter if it takes a while to spread, I'm not in a hurry, but I
would like to do something - and if it can be grown from seed that would be
nice and cheap too.

Taking a while to spread is inconsistent with durability. One way that grass
survives wear is to quickly spread back into areas where damage has happened.

Thanks for any suggestions

Hard mulch (eg pinebark) or astroturf. No living thing will do all you want.
I am no fan of lawns (when my kids grew up the lawn went) but my experience is
that it's the only living playing surface that has a chance and that will take
some work.

David

Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Jan 8, 8:52 am, "0tterbot" wrote:
"Linda" wrote in message

[...]

I've had a lot of trouble getting dichondra to work as a lawn
substitute. It just wouldn't spread (until I gave up, now it's growing
in my garden bed and I can't seem to get rid of it). Might need a
warmer area than Melbourne, SE suburbs.
I've also tried thyme - there are a few ground cover versions that
smell fantastic when you walk on them. Again, hard to get going and
not great if the kids are playing on it.
Otherwise, check the various forms of buffalo grass or couch. They'll
go a little yellow in winter but other than that you should be fine.
My buffalo grass is still thick and green, while my remaining small
patch of lawn is already dead.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Otherwise concrete with artificial grass would kick ass

Have you turned into a Yank? Or do you really want to mention kicking a
donkey?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
So I'm looking for suggestions - I've been looking at various gardening
sites, and seen ideas such as Vinca Minor,

Bloody Vinca! My advice from 15 yeras trying to get rid of the mongrel
stuff is not to go there. It looks great for a small while then it takes
over and is almost as bad as ivy.

chamomile, moss and of course
mondo grass but I'm sure there must be lots of possibilites I don't know
about.

A chamomile lawn is high maintenance (needs weeding) moss needs too much
watering and mondo grass costs a bomb to do a lawn sized area.

So prerequisites - low maintenance, suitable for kids to play on, grows in
very shady area during summer, (but tree loses leaves in winter so has to
still survive), ok for humid conditions, drought tolerant (or happy with
grey water every now and then), doesn't cost too much to establish (very
limited budget), and if it was a mozzie deterant that would absolutely
wonderful as we have a problem with them as well when we're outside.

I know that I would forget the idea of a lawn entirely but go for tidy if it
was a small yard.

Have you thought about putting gravel in a circle under the tree or with
curved edges and treating the tree as just an umbrella where you could have
a table or for bike riding? Tough plants could go round the edges beyond
the gravel to soften the fences where there may be some sun and if you want
tough and low maintenace then I'd suggest stachys lanata (Lamb's ears), Red
Hot pokers, Euphorbia Wulfenii (if you have a hot dry spot), Shasta dairies,
Hellebores in shade, violets which are a spreader and can be ripped out
easily, forget me not which is the same. Lots more plants would suit this
idea and all of them are the sort of stuff that other gardeners would gladly
give you.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
Otherwise concrete with artificial grass would kick ass

Have you turned into a Yank? Or do you really want to mention kicking a
donkey?

It rhymes...

Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
[...]

not sure how it goes in Aus but here in NZ white clover is doing perfectly
in my garden at present under the shade of trees, with hot days & lack of
rain. The clover is greener than the lawn and growing ok. It does get bees
in in summer which is a little hard on the bare feet but good for the vege
garden. Clover also reduces the need for a high nitrogen fertiliser for the
grass.

rob

Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

Linda wrote:
Hi, we have a small backyard with a beautiful big tree and lots of shade
during the summer which is great for the kids - not having to worry about
sunscreen when they play outside. It does mean of course that lawn won't
grow -

Do not know of anything that will handle shade and kids unless you
select a mulch you like like pea(nut) straw which s generally finer cut
and softer.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Linda wrote:
Hi, we have a small backyard with a beautiful big tree and lots of shade
during the summer which is great for the kids - not having to worry about
sunscreen when they play outside. It does mean of course that lawn won't
grow -

Do not know of anything that will handle shade and kids unless you select
a mulch you like like pea(nut) straw which s generally finer cut and
softer.

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have some
noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

George W. Frost wrote:

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have some
noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

Well, the pea straw we have been buying at Mitre10 is actually peanut
straw, complete with a few shells.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have
some noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

Well, the pea straw we have been buying at Mitre10 is actually peanut
straw, complete with a few shells.

Point taken, but as I said, depends on where the straw came from and of
coarse, where you are

Star burr or goat's head

Acanthospermum hispidum, a noxious weed in the Northern Territory and

prohibited from entry to Western Australia, has been found in the

Maffra area of Gippsland. It was accidentally brought into Victoria

in a load of peanut straw from Queensland in March 2004. A small

number of plants have appeared during summer and autumn this

year on one property where the straw was used. More of this fodder was

purchased by other landholders and it is feared that the plant might gain a

foothold in Victoria for the first time.