GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The Romans Tried Aquaducts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/170229-romans-tried-aquaducts.html)

[email protected] 10-01-2008 11:47 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

And they are all dead now...

George W. Frost 10-01-2008 10:58 PM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

wrote in message
And they are all dead now...

But, some of their aqueducts are still standing and being used

0tterbot 11-01-2008 12:27 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

wrote in message
And they are all dead now...

i'm pretty sure most individuals who were walking around 2000 years ago are
dead now ;-)

however, if the point you're making is that empires or civilisations end
because they expand too far beyond their own capacity, ability, or political
acceptability to run the things they've brought into being, then you're
right. all empires fail, & that is always why.

i don't think australians want to **** themselves up forever making an
outrageous & unsustainable aquaduct system. but also, i think it has zero
chance of ever getting up. it's absurd. why are we discussing this?
kylie

Trish Brown 11-01-2008 04:36 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

George W. Frost wrote:
wrote in message
And they are all dead now...

But, some of their aqueducts are still standing and being used

'Aqueducts'! Yes! Aqu*e*ducts! Thank you!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

George W. Frost 11-01-2008 08:37 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:
wrote in message
And they are all dead now...

But, some of their aqueducts are still standing and being used

'Aqueducts'! Yes! Aqu*e*ducts! Thank you!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Sorry Trish, wasn't trying to be facetious, I just typed it as I thought and
wasn't concerned with how others spelled it

Trish Brown 11-01-2008 09:57 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

George W. Frost wrote:
wrote in message
And they are all dead now...

But, some of their aqueducts are still standing and being used

'Aqueducts'! Yes! Aqu*e*ducts! Thank you!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Sorry Trish, wasn't trying to be facetious, I just typed it as I thought and
wasn't concerned with how others spelled it

;-D

Sorry... I'm a retired school teacher and spelling is a hotspot for me.
Gives me the nervous hives when I see an error. They don't let you type
in red ink on the Internet, sadly. ;-D

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

George.com 11-01-2008 10:24 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"George W. Frost" wrote in message

wrote in message
And they are all dead now...

But, some of their aqueducts are still standing and being used

The teachers told us, the Romans built this place
They built a wall and a temple, an edge of the empire Garrison town,
They lived and they died, they prayed to their gods
But the stone gods did not make a sound
And their empire crumbled, 'til all that was left
Were the stones the workmen found

rob

Blackadder XXIV 12-01-2008 06:11 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

No, the Romans didn't "try" aquaducts - they built and used them for
centuries.

http://www.inforoma.it/feature.php?lookup=aqueduct

It has been calculated that in imperial times, when the city's population
was well over a million, the distribution system was able to provide over
one cubic meter of water per day for each inhabitant: more than we are
accustomed to use nowadays.

Now you realize why the Roman Empire fell didn't you? A host of barbarians,
Goths, Vandals, Huns etc.. from the North and East invaded Rome and
destroyed the aquaduct system - causing Rome to fall.

Looking at our situation today, Indonesia's population is increasing
rapidly. 200 million + at the last count. I'd suspect that in about 30 or 50
years time or so, their population will be about 500 million - and they'll
come over and take this land.

FarmI 12-01-2008 10:38 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

Sorry... I'm a retired school teacher and spelling is a hotspot for me.
Gives me the nervous hives when I see an error. They don't let you type in
red ink on the Internet, sadly. ;-D

I'm not a retired teacher but I too get the collywobbles at some of the more
blatant abuses we see. "To" for "too" drives me crackers and sometimes one
even sees "two" for one of the others. The American habit of writing/saying
"tell someone who could care less" simply astounds me.

Trish Brown 12-01-2008 01:18 PM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

FarmI wrote:
"Trish Brown" wrote in message

Sorry... I'm a retired school teacher and spelling is a hotspot for me.
Gives me the nervous hives when I see an error. They don't let you type in
red ink on the Internet, sadly. ;-D

I'm not a retired teacher but I too get the collywobbles at some of the more
blatant abuses we see. "To" for "too" drives me crackers and sometimes one
even sees "two" for one of the others. The American habit of writing/saying
"tell someone who could care less" simply astounds me.

What about 'I'm going out. Do you want to come with?'

Additionally, what about 'prolly' for 'probably' and 'congradulations'
for 'congratulations' and 'walla' for 'voilą'?

My absolute favourite (NOT) is when people add an apostrophe *every*
time a plural is required. Hence, we get piano's, dog's, mice' and
womens's!!! Oh, and 1990's instead of 1990s.

I can feel my soapbox rising up beneath me...

This is why spelling, grammar and punctuation matter. If done correctly,
there can be no ambiguity or misunderstanding of what one is trying to
say. Look at the poster from earlier in the week (forget his name - the
bloke who was using a lot of phone-text forms - you know the one?) His
writing was barely understandable. Of course, *he* knew perfectly well
what he was trying to say, but few others did: we could only give
educated guesses at his exact meaning.

I think it's *grand* that grammar and punctuation are slowly being
reintroduced in schools! Both my parents left school at age fifteen, yet
both were excellent spellers and writers. Today's kids are every bit as
smart as that older generation and they *can* learn to spell well.

I think it's interesting to note that Latin names for plants are easily
understood by most of us and leave no doubt as to a plant's identity
when various common names might be in use...

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

SG1 12-01-2008 09:13 PM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

Sorry... I'm a retired school teacher and spelling is a hotspot for me.
Gives me the nervous hives when I see an error. They don't let you type
in red ink on the Internet, sadly. ;-D

I'm not a retired teacher but I too get the collywobbles at some of the
more blatant abuses we see. "To" for "too" drives me crackers and
sometimes one even sees "two" for one of the others. The American habit
of writing/saying "tell someone who could care less" simply astounds me.

I use "Call lifeline they care"

0tterbot 13-01-2008 09:26 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"Blackadder XXIV" wrote in message
u...
No, the Romans didn't "try" aquaducts - they built and used them for
centuries.

http://www.inforoma.it/feature.php?lookup=aqueduct

It has been calculated that in imperial times, when the city's population
was well over a million, the distribution system was able to provide over
one cubic meter of water per day for each inhabitant: more than we are
accustomed to use nowadays.

Now you realize why the Roman Empire fell didn't you? A host of
barbarians, Goths, Vandals, Huns etc.. from the North and East invaded
Rome and destroyed the aquaduct system - causing Rome to fall.

Looking at our situation today, Indonesia's population is increasing
rapidly. 200 million + at the last count. I'd suspect that in about 30 or
50 years time or so, their population will be about 500 million - and
they'll come over and take this land.

everyone else got over the "yellow peril" idea decades ago.
kylie

0tterbot 13-01-2008 09:35 AM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

FarmI wrote:
"Trish Brown" wrote in message

(snip)

I can feel my soapbox rising up beneath me...

Writing properly out of respect for Trish's incipient conniption & the
subject matter involved ;-)

This is why spelling, grammar and punctuation matter. If done correctly,
there can be no ambiguity or misunderstanding of what one is trying to
say.

This is what I tell my kids (particularly when double negatives are
involved!!!!) - that good grammar simply means _everyone ELSE knows what
you've said_. It makes sense & works for us.

Look at the poster from earlier in the week (forget his name - the
bloke who was using a lot of phone-text forms - you know the one?) His
writing was barely understandable. Of course, *he* knew perfectly well
what he was trying to say, but few others did: we could only give educated
guesses at his exact meaning.

I think it's *grand* that grammar and punctuation are slowly being
reintroduced in schools! Both my parents left school at age fifteen, yet
both were excellent spellers and writers. Today's kids are every bit as
smart as that older generation and they *can* learn to spell well.

I was of the generation who wasn't formally taught grammar - but mine's fine
(as with most of the generation, in fact, luckily). Which doesn't mean I'm
not pleased particular attention is being paid these days! Really, people
who have good grammar & spelling against all odds are most likely those who
read a lot - it's really the only way it happens. Well, being surrounded by
people with good grammar also helps, I must say. But, it can be learned,
too. DH's grammar was appalling until I insisted he work harder because the
way he used to speak just made him sound like a moron, & he's not. He still
can't spell to save his life, but that's not really my concern (his
customers don't deal with anything he's written; that's mostly my privilege
;-)

I think it's interesting to note that Latin names for plants are easily
understood by most of us and leave no doubt as to a plant's identity when
various common names might be in use...

That's exactly right. Everyone agrees there has to be a common denominator
(as it were) in language.
Kylie
P.S. There you go, Farmie!! I told you I know capitals bg!

Blackadder XXIV 13-01-2008 12:28 PM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"0tterbot" wrote in message
everyone else got over the "yellow peril" idea decades ago.
kylie

No Kylie, its not paranoia. Its just a rational suggestion. I mean, whose
going to stop them? The Indonesians walked into East Timor in the 1970s. And
no one stopped them. The only reason they got pushed out - was because of
their economic and political problems

But give them enough time, and they will have the numbers to not just walk
in, but stay and create a nation of their own. Its just demographics.

Sure you could put a few thousand in detention. But you can' stop 1% of
Indonesia from coming over. Right now, they're population is at 200 million.
In 30 years time, apparently it will reach 278 million. If you were an
Indonesian, it would make sense to come over to Australia by hook or by
crook. It'd be a much better life for them.

http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/...gkh1/chap1.htm

Blackadder XXIV 13-01-2008 12:30 PM

The Romans Tried Aquaducts

wrote in message
And they are all dead now...

No, the Romans didn't "try" aquaducts - they built and used them for
centuries.

http://www.inforoma.it/feature.php?lookup=aqueduct

It has been calculated that in imperial times, when the city's population
was well over a million, the distribution system was able to provide over
one cubic meter of water per day for each inhabitant: more than we are
accustomed to use nowadays.

The aquaduct system was physically destroyed by barbarians who invaded the
country.