Old 11-01-2008, 01:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default companion planting - let's have it out!

is anyone up for some information exchange about companion planting?

because i generally 1: can't be bothered 2: am both ill-informed and
disorganised, i don't companion-plant (also, wouldn't it mess with rotation
systems? that might be a different issue though) it's not something i
pursue. however, for 3 years i have put basil with the tomatoes in good
faith because EVERYONE says this is a good thing.

however, over the 3 years i've noticed that the basil doesn't come on if
it's with the tomatoes - the plants are always small (although the tomatoes
are happy). last year i thought the basils were probably too shaded, so i
gave more space this year, but the basils are still small & flowering early.
my other (seperate) basils are as big as i would expect, though (so it's not
dud seed or anything like that).

while i don't normally have any tomato diseases (so far - i am quite a
newbie gardener though) i can't be sure if this is because of the basil, or
if they'd have been healthy anyway (as, after all, tomatoes really aren't
that difficult, are they?)

so in a nutshell, i'm going to give up on this particular arrangement.

i have one tomato plant, though, that was planted quite close to spring
onions, & it's a tiny plant. i'm taking out the spring onions as we need
them, & the plant's finally getting a bit bigger now. i wonder if the onions
are bothering the tomato plant. the other, self-sown toms which are various
places are just dandy, despite considerable neglect AND no basil nearby (and
no staking, and little watering, etc).

does anyone have any comments about good or bad companions? have any of you
investigated this seriously? is it even worth pursuing? if anyone's found
any really excellent companions, i'd be quite interested, because i'm
starting to think it's just one of those things people say because everyone
else does, but has rarely been investigated thoroughly & scientifically.
thanks!!
kylie

Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
is anyone up for some information exchange about companion planting?

Yes. Generally there is very little useful information. The few books we
have tend to not mention many of the veges we grow,

We are currently trying the corn, beans and squash trilogy. Well, we
will if I can get the beans to actually come up.

It started with the corn. I ended up putting in about four lots of
planting before half the 12x12 block took and grew.

I've tried planting beans, but only 5 out of 60 shot and black birds ate
3 of them.

Meanwhile, the whole patch is being invaded by a self sown pumpkin(jap?)
from another patch. sigh. I woundn't feel so bad, but the only flowers
are male, Unless they are different to zucchini, which has been a total
waste of space so far as it all need hand pollination.

Ok well, hope the water tank is full as everything is going to need
watering this evening afterthe scorcher that today has been.

In summary, we just tend to try everything with everything and see what
happens. In reality swmbo always produces too many seedlings that get
shoe horned in everywhere.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

I read very recently, on a newsgroup i think, about planting garlic with
roses to supress rust pathogens that live in the soil. Garlic also seems to
be a good crop to follow on from tomatos with various research indicating it
fumigates the soil.

rob

rob

Old 11-01-2008, 09:14 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
[...]

Don't complain my SWMBO does the digging and weeding in MY plot. Agh the
joys of a heart condition. The weeding is under supervision as all look like
weeds to younger eyes. But I get the credit for success & failure alike.
We have had a wet & cool summer so far, how I love a positive SOI.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

Don't complain my SWMBO does the digging and weeding in MY plot.

Hey, you're talking to the garden labourer here. I was lucky to get the
corn plot.

Agh the joys of a heart condition.

Oh, I've got one of those, but not so bad that I can not enjoy the
gardening.

Old 13-01-2008, 09:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
is anyone up for some information exchange about companion planting?

Yes. Generally there is very little useful information. The few books we
have tend to not mention many of the veges we grow,

We are currently trying the corn, beans and squash trilogy.

you can also do corn, squash and baby chickens!! (the idea being that when
the chicks are tall enough to pop out from the leaves, they are too big to
tempt eagles. or something like that. but clearly you have your hands full
as it is.)

Well, we
will if I can get the beans to actually come up.

It started with the corn. I ended up putting in about four lots of
planting before half the 12x12 block took and grew.

I've tried planting beans, but only 5 out of 60 shot and black birds ate 3
of them.

Meanwhile, the whole patch is being invaded by a self sown pumpkin(jap?)
from another patch. sigh. I woundn't feel so bad, but the only flowers are
male, Unless they are different to zucchini, which has been a total waste
of space so far as it all need hand pollination.

your zucchini aren't getting fertilised without you?! that IS odd.

apparently pumpkin will produce more female flowers if you nip the tips off
& force it to make a decision. males always come first & you should get
females by tipping it.

Ok well, hope the water tank is full as everything is going to need
watering this evening afterthe scorcher that today has been.

In summary, we just tend to try everything with everything and see what
happens. In reality swmbo always produces too many seedlings that get shoe
horned in everywhere.

that is a problem of mine although i'm much better now at ditching the
strugglers (hence less problem).

getting back to my question - have you made any concrete discoveries yet?
:-)
kylie

Old 13-01-2008, 09:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message

"0tterbot" wrote in message

(snip)
does anyone have any comments about good or bad companions? have any of
you investigated this seriously? is it even worth pursuing? if anyone's
found any really excellent companions, i'd be quite interested, because
i'm starting to think it's just one of those things people say because
everyone else does, but has rarely been investigated thoroughly &
scientifically.
thanks!!
kylie

I read very recently, on a newsgroup i think, about planting garlic with
roses to supress rust pathogens that live in the soil. Garlic also seems
to be a good crop to follow on from tomatos with various research
indicating it fumigates the soil.

ah yes, heard both of those. garlic is a goodie i think (i've also heard it
helps with fruit tree pests when planted under fruit trees - ? i'm inclined
to think the smell might keep _all_ bugs away, not just the baddies) (but
again, might just be info being repeated that nobody's really checked).
kyile

Old 13-01-2008, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

getting back to my question - have you made any concrete discoveries yet?

Jackie French doesn't seem to be convinced by most of the companion planting
info around IIRC. She has writtent hat most of it doesn't work or is
untested. Will try to dig out some of her writings ont his and do a report
back to you but don't holdyour breath on that as I've got a bit on my plate
ATM (perhaps by the time we do lunch?)

Old 14-01-2008, 06:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

0tterbot wrote:

is anyone up for some information exchange about companion planting?

Yes. Generally there is very little useful information. The few books we
have tend to not mention many of the veges we grow,

We are currently trying the corn, beans and squash trilogy.

you can also do corn, squash and baby chickens!! (the idea being that when
the chicks are tall enough to pop out from the leaves, they are too big to
tempt eagles. or something like that. but clearly you have your hands full
as it is.)

Well, we discuss that regularly, but the $700 to build a decent cage to
prevent them becoming cat food is rather off putting. I also weant to be
sure that I do not have to them start buying expensive food.

your zucchini aren't getting fertilised without you?! that IS odd.

Shrug, the last lot of cucumbers are the only curcurbit that has ever
managed to self fertilise.

Found out yesterday that you need two plants and must cross pollinate.
sigh, if that doesn't work, then they are definitely coming out.

apparently pumpkin will produce more female flowers if you nip the tips off
& force it to make a decision. males always come first & you should get
females by tipping it.

Hmm, might try that, I've found only one female flower, yet to open at
the end of 30' of runner.

getting back to my question - have you made any concrete discoveries yet?

Oh, there are a few bits that pop up from time to time. We mainly score
river pebbles from the previous owners fetish for pebble gardens.

{:-). Nope, nothing companion planting wise so far.
Old 14-01-2008, 07:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
is anyone up for some information exchange about companion planting?

Yes. Generally there is very little useful information. The few books we
have tend to not mention many of the veges we grow,

We are currently trying the corn, beans and squash trilogy.

you can also do corn, squash and baby chickens!! (the idea being that when
the chicks are tall enough to pop out from the leaves, they are too big to
tempt eagles. or something like that. but clearly you have your hands full
as it is.)

I was visiting a neighbour a few weeks ago who has two tiny fluffy white dogs,
put on a handle and they would make a toilet brush. We went out to the
verandah and the dogs scampered into the garden. She was really paranoid and
then she scooped up the dogs and put them inside. She believes that the local
wedgetails have designs on little Poopsie and Fluffina and she had sighted one
cruising around.

To get on topic I am unsure about companion planting. I think that it *might*
work but the evidence is scanty. The local organic growers society members
will tell you all the combinations that are supposed to be beneficial but when
you ask them how they know they cannot tell you. I believe there has been at
least one study showing it didn't do anything but I cannot find the reference
right now. I would like to see that study and how it was done at least before
making up my mind.

One of the problems with such things is determining cause and effect. There
are so many factors which affect how plants grow and if pests are a problem at
any given time. Unless a factor is really strong and has a very obvious result
under all circumstances you are left to wonder or to plant large numbers in
latin squares and all that.

To take an example of this problem some members of the society believe in moon
planting. We were told by one that she had planted one lot of seedlings by
the moon and another not. The ones by the moon did somewhat better therefore
it's great. I didn't ask how she controlled for differences in soil, sun,
water, etc, etc nor how many plants did better and how she determined this.
Such things can become a religion and you don't want to go there.

David

Old 14-01-2008, 11:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

To take an example of this problem some members of the society believe in
moon
planting. We were told by one that she had planted one lot of seedlings
by
the moon and another not. The ones by the moon did somewhat better
therefore
it's great. I didn't ask how she controlled for differences in soil, sun,
water, etc, etc nor how many plants did better and how she determined
this.
Such things can become a religion and you don't want to go there.

That reminds me of Esther Deans :-)) She used to plant by the moon but in
addition used to use a pedulum to check each seed to see if it was viable.
I haven't seen her book for ages - must have a hunt in the library after I
log off.

Old 14-01-2008, 11:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message

Shrug, the last lot of cucumbers are the only curcurbit that has ever
managed to self fertilise.

Found out yesterday that you need two plants and must cross pollinate.
sigh, if that doesn't work, then they are definitely coming out.

If you can find someone else who has some of the same plants then use a
camel ahir paintbrush to shove in all their flowers then bring it home in a
plastic bag and go round having sex with your own plants. I did this last
year when I was trying to get my rockmelons to set fruit and I thought we
had too few bees. Dunno if my sex with the rockmelons or the bees
eventually did the job but I did end up with a few rockies.

Old 15-01-2008, 11:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Terryc wrote:

Yes. Generally there is very little useful information. The few books we
have tend to not mention many of the veges we grow,

Yep, or they are for different soils and climates.

We are currently trying the corn, beans and squash trilogy. Well, we
will if I can get the beans to actually come up.

It started with the corn. I ended up putting in about four lots of
planting before half the 12x12 block took and grew.

I've tried planting beans, but only 5 out of 60 shot and black birds ate
3 of them.

I've never seen that work. The squash is too rampant here. However, both Dad
and I have had good results by combining corn and cucumber plants (Sydney clay
belt).

Meanwhile, the whole patch is being invaded by a self sown pumpkin(jap?)
from another patch. sigh. I woundn't feel so bad, but the only flowers
are male, Unless they are different to zucchini, which has been a total
waste of space so far as it all need hand pollination.

Don't worry, the makle flowers always seem to arrive first on pumpkin vines.
You should see the female flowers shortly.

Ok well, hope the water tank is full as everything is going to need
watering this evening afterthe scorcher that today has been.

In summary, we just tend to try everything with everything and see what
happens. In reality swmbo always produces too many seedlings that get
shoe horned in everywhere.

That's the way I garden, too. I try to be a bit more organised, but Things
Happen!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 15-01-2008, 11:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Terryc wrote:

you can also do corn, squash and baby chickens!! (the idea being that when
the chicks are tall enough to pop out from the leaves, they are too big to
tempt eagles. or something like that. but clearly you have your hands full
as it is.)

Well, we discuss that regularly, but the $700 to build a decent cage to
prevent them becoming cat food is rather off putting. I also weant to be
sure that I do not have to them start buying expensive food.

But the better solution is to deliver the cats to the RSPCA for the cost of
petrol...

Old 15-01-2008, 01:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:

But the better solution is to deliver the cats to the RSPCA for the cost of
petrol...

pfut, it would work out more expensive in the long run.
The idiots around here let them breed and run wild so there is a
continuous supply.

The only thingthat would work is to frebomb the "owners"