Old 21-04-2003, 06:09 PM
J. Morrow

Default Destroying dug up weeds+ seeds

Hello,

I used to throw my weeds into my black pvc compost bin. But my gardener told
me off saying that the compost bin process wouldn't kill all of the weeds
and thus result in their seeds/roots germinating later.

So to be so the safe side, I throw all the weeds, even the ones which don't
seem to have seeds, into the council bio-trash bin.

But how about if I placed the weeds into a tight plastic bag (one of those
new biodegradable ones) and put them in the sun to rot? Then put them into
the compost bin. Wouldn't that way ensure their utter destruction?

Cheers!

Old 22-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Jeremy Lunn

In article , J. Morrow wrote:
I used to throw my weeds into my black pvc compost bin. But my gardener told
me off saying that the compost bin process wouldn't kill all of the weeds
and thus result in their seeds/roots germinating later.

I thought that if you reach the required temperatures then seeds would
be killed off? Composting does produce a bit of heat, but I'm not sure
if it's enough. I was going to ask about this because we just had a
huge pile of weeds removed and it cost hundreds. In future I'd like to
compost them though like yourself, I would like to ensure that all
seeds/roots are completely destroyed!

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia
Old 22-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Andrew G

"J. Morrow" wrote in message
Hello,

I used to throw my weeds into my black pvc compost bin. But my gardener

told
me off saying that the compost bin process wouldn't kill all of the weeds
and thus result in their seeds/roots germinating later.

The black PVC will help get the temperatures up, as will the compost itself.
If your compost doesn't get hot then it will not kill the seeds.
The only problem with this method is ensuring the seed/weed gets into the
centre of the compost where all the heat is.
You need a temperature of about 60degs Celsius to kill most common weed
seeds.

Weeds themselves should not be a problem. Weeded properly by getting most of
the soil (not leaving a big clump of soil attached) off the roots by giving
it a quick shake and those weeds should die. I have never seen a weed start
growing again after being pulled out, unless the roots are partially buried
in the soil. Even then there is little chance. If you are worried, leave
them layed out in an area for a day in the sun, before bagging or composting
them. Then there is absoulutely no chance of a re-shoot. These options don't
kill seeds.

So to be so the safe side, I throw all the weeds, even the ones which

don't
seem to have seeds, into the council bio-trash bin.

Don't worry about the ones without seed. They should be ok if you are
throwing them into the compost.

But how about if I placed the weeds into a tight plastic bag (one of those
new biodegradable ones) and put them in the sun to rot? Then put them into
the compost bin. Wouldn't that way ensure their utter destruction?

The plastic bag may not get hot enough. It will certainly kill the weeds,
but maybe not the seeds. Tazmans idea in the other post (simplest
composting) would be good. A black garbage bag in the hot sun. Black
builders plastic, lay the weeds on it, then fold the top over to cover in
the sun will also work. That stuff gets real hot in the sun.
Other options would be boiling water poured over them before throwing them
in the compost.
Even if you found a way of using steam. It will kill the seeds. When I was
at tafe the propagation mix for the glasshouse was in a big tralier, that
had an adaptor to which a pipe would be connected. Steam would get pumped
through the soil to kill seeds and disease.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Cheers!

Old 22-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Jeremy Lunn

In article , Andrew G wrote:
The black PVC will help get the temperatures up, as will the compost itself.
If your compost doesn't get hot then it will not kill the seeds.
The only problem with this method is ensuring the seed/weed gets into the
centre of the compost where all the heat is.

I'm not sure that you can gaurantee that it'll be hottest in the centre.
There are other physical factors to take into consideration.

Weeds themselves should not be a problem. Weeded properly by getting most of
the soil (not leaving a big clump of soil attached) off the roots by giving
it a quick shake and those weeds should die. I have never seen a weed start
growing again after being pulled out, unless the roots are partially buried
in the soil.

Most weeds do die when their roots are exposed to the atmosphere, though
what about hardy weeds like couch grass?

Old 23-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Andrew G

"Jeremy Lunn" wrote in message

I'm not sure that you can gaurantee that it'll be hottest in the centre.
There are other physical factors to take into consideration.

The hottest part of a good compost pile is always on the inside, toward the
middle.
If the outside of the compost is warm (due to sun, ambient temp) and the
inside quite cool, then the compost isn't composting and it's not working at
all.
Dig a hole to the centre in a compost pile that is a week or 2 into breaking
down, stick your hand in it, and I guarantee if it's a good one you won't be
able to hold your hand there too long :-)

Most weeds do die when their roots are exposed to the atmosphere, though
what about hardy weeds like couch grass?

Good point to bring up.
Ok, I know the description of a "weed" is "something growing where you don't
want it". I was thinking along the lines of general garden bed weeds. Any
pulled out grasses with runners should be left out of compost piles/left out
of putting them back into the garden.
These grasses can be grown from "sprigs". Part of a node touching the soil
or composted material, right temperature, right moisture, and it will take
off. Also this grass will not die easily.
Grasses caught in a catcher from mowing can be used in compost piles at
times. This alone will create heat when breaking down, and should not give
any trouble, careful with Kyke though.

Old 23-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Jeremy Lunn

In article , Andrew G wrote:
Most weeds do die when their roots are exposed to the atmosphere, though
what about hardy weeds like couch grass?

Good point to bring up.
Ok, I know the description of a "weed" is "something growing where you don't
want it". I was thinking along the lines of general garden bed weeds. Any

Never had a couch grass lawn here, though the stuff seems to be all over
the place, where ever it can get. It's the worst thing to possibly get
rid of. Just leave a small amount behind and it'll be just as bad a
year later.

Old 23-04-2003, 06:21 PM
J. Morrow

I guess another idea, taken from Andrew, would be to use a black trash bin
(one of those 2 feet in height for easy sake) and line it with a black
plastic bag. Place the weeds inside then tight up the plastic bag. Adding a
cup of water would also help too I guess. Then leave the bin with lid closed
in the sun. That should kill everything I think.

Old 24-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Andrew G

"J. Morrow" wrote in message
I guess another idea, taken from Andrew, would be to use a black trash bin
(one of those 2 feet in height for easy sake) and line it with a black
plastic bag. Place the weeds inside then tight up the plastic bag. Adding

cup of water would also help too I guess. Then leave the bin with lid

closed
in the sun. That should kill everything I think.

You just reminded me.
I have a feeling it was here, but I may be wrong, perhaps it was on TV.
But I recall reading about something like a weed soup or similar.
All the weeds get placed into a bin/container, then covered with water. Not
sure how long it took, but you could drain the water off (not getting any
seeds or weeds in it), and use it as a fertliser, from the nutrients that
came out of the weeds.
Well just another possibility worth looking into.
I'm guessing the leftover "slop" would still have some viable seeds in it
though. Some may rot too.

Old 24-04-2003, 04:56 PM
J. Morrow

Someone from another ng recommened the weed soup mix. But it involved a bit
of stirring and using a gasmask or whathaveyou to ward off the stench.

Old 26-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Jane VR

If you moisten everything and then spread it in the sun some days later,
the seeds should break dormancy and then die. I don't know if this works
with weeds, or if it's feasible on the scale you need, but it's what I
do to the sawdust that comes out of the birdcage, before putting it on
the garden so the birdseed doesn't sprout.

jane

Old 14-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Wingnut

I'm trying the "weed soup" idea, myself, which seems to be working. I have a
garbage bin full of "chook-poo tea" to which I've thrown in the left-over
vege plants from last season (seeds and all).

Been there a few weeks now and it's a pretty nasty smell but the liquid is a
great fertilizer and it basically "drowns" the seeds, getting them so
waterlogged, they are unable to germinate.

I'll just leave it there for another month or 2 and then throw all of the
remaining solids into the compost. I've heard this works.

Steve