GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seed potatoes, Sydney, NSw, Australia, where? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/171038-seed-potatoes-sydney-nsw-australia-where.html)

Terryc 12-02-2008 01:44 AM

Seed potatoes, Sydney, NSw, Australia, where?

Need to purchase some new seed potatoes.
Recommendations?

Not Diggers as I understand you need to be a member.

David Hare-Scott 12-02-2008 02:51 AM

"Terryc" wrote in message
Need to purchase some new seed potatoes.
Recommendations?

Not Diggers as I understand you need to be a member.

You don't need to be a member to buy but they get a discount. Aside from
that try Eden's or your local feed and produce store.

David

George W. Frost 12-02-2008 03:31 AM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Terryc" wrote in message
Need to purchase some new seed potatoes.
Recommendations?

Not Diggers as I understand you need to be a member.

You don't need to be a member to buy but they get a discount. Aside from
that try Eden's or your local feed and produce store.

David

Any hay and corn store will have them, but
go to the supermarket, pick out some potatos you like,
take them home and leave them in a cardboard box
they will sprout and then plant them out

Terryc 12-02-2008 04:35 AM

George W. Frost wrote:

Any hay and corn store will have them, but
go to the supermarket, pick out some potatos you like,
take them home and leave them in a cardboard box
they will sprout and then plant them out

First problem is finding a "hay and corn store"
Second problems will be customs.
Third problem is that spuds sold at supermarket comes from a different
climate.
Fourth, I was hoping to grow a different variety for taste.

Terryc 12-02-2008 04:54 AM

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

Need to purchase some new seed potatoes.
Recommendations?

Not Diggers as I understand you need to be a member.

You don't need to be a member to buy but they get a discount. Aside from
that try Eden's or your local feed and produce store.

Eden and Green Harvest do not do potatoes.

I might look at Diggers again in Jun which is when they say tubers will
be available, but really need another source. 6/7 varieties from diggers
have not done well here, aka they die off fast.

George W. Frost 12-02-2008 10:59 AM

"Terryc" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:

Any hay and corn store will have them, but
go to the supermarket, pick out some potatos you like,
take them home and leave them in a cardboard box
they will sprout and then plant them out

First problem is finding a "hay and corn store"

Sorry, showing my age, a produce store or anywhere they sell stuff to
farmers

Second problems will be customs.

Think they closed the custom gates between states years ago

Third problem is that spuds sold at supermarket comes from a different
climate.

Yes, usually, but pick out the spuds you want, then take them home Think you
will find they will grow almost anywhere

Fourth, I was hoping to grow a different variety for taste.

There are heaps of different spuds out there, Safeway sometimes have a
gourmet rack of potatos,

just sort through them and try a few of each till you find the one you like
better.

Only thing is instead of paying a few cents a kilo, you would be looking at
a couple of dollars per kilo

Terryc 12-02-2008 10:48 PM

George W. Frost wrote:

Only thing is instead of paying a few cents a kilo, you would be looking at
a couple of dollars per kilo

I get my supermarket spuds for nix already sprouted. Bloke up the road
buys 20kg bags, for 2, with inevitable results. None of them do well,
hence the hunting around.

FarmI 12-02-2008 11:44 PM

"George W. Frost" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:

Any hay and corn store will have them, but
go to the supermarket, pick out some potatos you like,
take them home and leave them in a cardboard box
they will sprout and then plant them out

First problem is finding a "hay and corn store"

Sorry, showing my age, a produce store or anywhere they sell stuff to
farmers

Second problems will be customs.

Think they closed the custom gates between states years ago

LOL. Good one! But come and clean up my mointor and keyboard, it's now
wearing my coffee!

Third problem is that spuds sold at supermarket comes from a different
climate.

Yes, usually, but pick out the spuds you want, then take them home Think
you will find they will grow almost anywhere

They will, but Sydney isn't really the right place to be growing spuds
anyway given it's climate. Spuds like cooler, less humid conditions than
Sydney so I'm not surprised that Terry is finding they cark it early.

I doubt very much that Terry will be able to find any spuds in Oz that are
grown as seed spuds in a climate similar to Sydney as all the areas where
seed spuds are grown (like Crookwell and in Victoria) don't have a climate
anything like Sydney's.

Fourth, I was hoping to grow a different variety for taste.

There are heaps of different spuds out there, Safeway sometimes have a
gourmet rack of potatos,

That is how I got my Purple Congos and Kipflers.

Terryc 13-02-2008 12:21 AM

FarmI wrote:

They will, but Sydney isn't really the right place to be growing spuds
anyway given it's climate. Spuds like cooler, less humid conditions than
Sydney so I'm not surprised that Terry is finding they cark it early.

Most varieties do not produce much, aka 100gm seed gives 10gm spud.

Kiplers are the only ones that have hung in there, but I suspect we have
inadvertently kept selecting the smaller ones each year. So, we will
probably buy new seed stock of them.

Funnily, the best method here, seems to be the old tyre stack, so we
will try more of that in future. I also have to fill the upper tyres
with dry straw and nothing else.

I doubt very much that Terry will be able to find any spuds in Oz that are
grown as seed spuds in a climate similar to Sydney as all the areas where
seed spuds are grown (like Crookwell and in Victoria) don't have a climate
anything like Sydney's.

This is why heritage varieties/strains are important. They often grow in
wider environments than modern, pampered varieties.

That is how I got my Purple Congos and Kipflers.

We also have tried Desiree, Toolangi Delight, Pink Eye(?) and others
(the dreaded clean up monster threw out the bags). Pink eyes might be
worth another go in the tyres as it slowly petered out.

Thankfully, we have a new permaculture group locally and seed sharing is
happening, so we might be able to obtain a good local variety there.

OTOH, I've managed to get some nice corn growing this year. Just
wondering how long after the silk dries off before I should try picking?
And does a corn plant produce cobs concurrently or consecutively?

FarmI 13-02-2008 01:31 AM

"Terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

I doubt very much that Terry will be able to find any spuds in Oz that
are grown as seed spuds in a climate similar to Sydney as all the areas
where seed spuds are grown (like Crookwell and in Victoria) don't have a
climate anything like Sydney's.

This is why heritage varieties/strains are important. They often grow in
wider environments than modern, pampered varieties.

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Seed spuds, whether of heritiage or newer varieties, are all grown in the
same areas in Australia so the source is the same whether they are pampered
or heritage. In NSW those seed spuds are grown in places like Crookwell,
Orange and Guyra.

That is how I got my Purple Congos and Kipflers.

We also have tried Desiree, Toolangi Delight, Pink Eye(?) and others (the
dreaded clean up monster threw out the bags). Pink eyes might be worth
another go in the tyres as it slowly petered out.

Thankfully, we have a new permaculture group locally and seed sharing is
happening, so we might be able to obtain a good local variety there.

You should be able to find out from them which varieties people have found
have done well for them in the local area, but I would be absolutley amazed
if they have not sourced their spuds at some time or another from the seed
potato growing areas in one or other State of Australia.

OTOH, I've managed to get some nice corn growing this year. Just wondering
how long after the silk dries off before I should try picking?

Corn is one of the very few plants which can be picked even before it ripens
and thus when the silks are green. It isn't optimum at that stage but the
worst thing is to let it go too long after the silk has turned brown -
better to pick the lot and freeze it than leave it on the stalks. To long
and it's only good to throw to the chooks.

Dan[_8_] 13-02-2008 08:26 PM

Terryc wrote:

Funnily, the best method here, seems to be the old tyre stack, so we
will try more of that in future. I also have to fill the upper tyres
with dry straw and nothing else.

That makes sense, potato roots like a cool moist, but well drained, soil
that is rich in compost, but the top of the plant prefers a warm dry
environment.

The method you describe should make the most of the climate in Sydney, just
make sure the stacks are in a very sunny spot with good airflow and keep
the soil just moist. If you cover the tires with something white it will
help keep the roots cool and reflect the light up into the leaves where it
is needed.

If you get the microclimate perfect you will get the most out of the plants,
even if they die back faster than they would in an ideal climate.

If you want to find a spud that grows well in your area then you could try
growing them from seed (yes SEED) the first year you will only get tiny
potatoes, but the genetic diversity with be very high, then select the best
performers to plant (the tubers) for the next year. it could take you a few
years to get a better adapted plant, but it is possible.

Check out this web site,
http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.co...erminated.html

0tterbot 13-02-2008 09:51 PM

"Terryc" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

Need to purchase some new seed potatoes.
Recommendations?

Not Diggers as I understand you need to be a member.

You don't need to be a member to buy but they get a discount. Aside
from
that try Eden's or your local feed and produce store.

Eden and Green Harvest do not do potatoes.

I might look at Diggers again in Jun which is when they say tubers will be
available, but really need another source. 6/7 varieties from diggers have
not done well here, aka they die off fast.

i got some from diggers with the same result (in fact, i'm a tad
disenchanted with diggers all around, but that's another story). bear in
mind their nursery is located in a virtual plant heaven - where most of us
live, it's not, really :-)

potatoes are rather a mystery to me, & they caused me some outright panic
last year (but i talked myself down ;-) i hope more experience will help
with this ;-)

my best taties this year are the "volunteers" from last year (yes, i know i
should have killed them, but i didn't). i also have sebagos growing in a
flower bed & can't seem to find the end of them. which would be fine, except
i'm not really into sebagos. nevertheless, clearly _they_ like it here,
which seems to be the key. besides the sebagos, have tried 4 varieties, all
of which were a little disappointing for one reason or another, the odd
individual plant being exceptions.

the best ones were desirees from the ag shop, even though they got scab they
ended up the best. the worst two were from diggers (royal blue & another so
underwhelming i've forgotten what they were).

in short, you might have to just keep trying different varieties until you
get a good result!!

but personally, i'd either just be a cheapskate & save them myself, OR, get
them at the ag shop; only because they're more likely to have come from
somewhere closer. you are unlikely to get much of a choice of varieties
though. however, i personally decided that they are so little trouble that
if you get a small crop or something goes wrong, it's really not the end of
the world. it works out, or it doesn't. some nurseries will sell them too.

as an aside, i was watching a yank medical show one time, where a patient
had cadmium poisoning from smoking pot grown in car tyres. because of that,
i have been nervous about growing taties in car tyres lest we all get
cadmium poisoning. is there any information on this?! (am i just being
hysterical?)
kylie

George W. Frost 13-02-2008 11:05 PM

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

[...]

You only get hysterical and paranoid when you smoke that green stuff

Terryc 14-02-2008 01:02 AM

0tterbot wrote:

potatoes are rather a mystery to me, & they caused me some outright panic
last year (but i talked myself down ;-) i hope more experience will help
with this ;-)

I think everything is a mystery until you actually grow it in your plot
of land. Around here, we grow stuff that others struggle with and we
struggle trying to grow their easy stuff.

And then the weather changes and you are left scratching your head again.

my best taties this year are the "volunteers" from last year

This is probably part of the reason we have small spuds anyway. We have
volunteers that must start from extremely small left overs as we very
thoroughly sift the soil for each crop.

in short, you might have to just keep trying different varieties until you
get a good result!!

That is the basic plan.

but personally, i'd either just be a cheapskate & save them myself,

The desired outcome.then I know I have a strain that grows well in my soil.

OR, get them at the ag shop;

We have a feed place nearby and I'll try them as the months go by.

only because they're more likely to have come from somewhere closer.

Trouble is that I do not know of any commercial or large scale growers
around here. Dormitory suburbs abound. The only growers are further out
and definitly asian market gardeners from what we can see.

as an aside, i was watching a yank medical show one time, where a patient
had cadmium poisoning from smoking pot grown in car tyres. because of that,
i have been nervous about growing taties in car tyres lest we all get
cadmium poisoning. is there any information on this?! (am i just being
hysterical?)

Various problems
1) TV medical show =/= reality.
2) Growing pot; cue shock horror promo like teen flick horror movie
3) Reusing =/= commie subversive to american way of life.

Anything on a TV show is suspect right from the start. TV is for
entertainment and propaganda. Far more interesting TV if it involves
shock horror; POT.

Practically, different plant, different family, take up different
nutrient, etc. Age of tyres, make of tyres, type of tyres, where were
the tyres manufactured. Why is cadium added to tyres?

If it really was cadium, it most likely was a contaminant in fertilisers
used. My last pack of trace elements had more contaminants that
nutirients including mercury, cadium, etc, etc, etc

FarmI 15-02-2008 12:57 AM

"0tterbot" wrote in message

but personally, i'd either just be a cheapskate & save them myself, OR,
get them at the ag shop; only because they're more likely to have come
from somewhere closer.

Just for info: I have asked at jeremy's shop where they get their spuds and
they told me that they were grown locally. I buy spuds there every time I
go in because they are such good spuds.