GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   recommendations for... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/171088-recommendations.html)

0tterbot 13-02-2008 10:07 PM

recommendations for...

sorry, i know these "recommendation" threads can be a bit tiresome :-)

has anyone any ideas on either a shortish vine (to 3m) or perhaps a visually
interesting bush of some sort, that could be planted thusly:

1: total shade, never gets sunny, never really warm (south side of the
house, corrugated tin wall)
2: in a pot (the ground there is concreted)
3: copes with cold & frost (to perhaps -6 or -7 in winter at the worst) &
practically no eaves
4: reasonably quick-growing
5: if a vine, not strong - i don't want it pulling it's trellis down or
anything like that - the wall wouldn't cope!

is there such a thing?

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
kylie

neil 14-02-2008 12:21 AM

recommendations for...

"0tterbot" wrote in message
sorry, i know these "recommendation" threads can be a bit tiresome :-)

has anyone any ideas on either a shortish vine (to 3m) or perhaps a
visually interesting bush of some sort, that could be planted thusly:

1: total shade, never gets sunny, never really warm (south side of the
house, corrugated tin wall)
2: in a pot (the ground there is concreted)
3: copes with cold & frost (to perhaps -6 or -7 in winter at the worst) &
practically no eaves
4: reasonably quick-growing
5: if a vine, not strong - i don't want it pulling it's trellis down or
anything like that - the wall wouldn't cope!

is there such a thing?

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
kylie

This is a tricky one... My thought would be to try a sasanqua camellia and
maybe espalier onto the trellis. I have one in total shade on the south
side of my house and it does well. And once they get started they are quick
growing.

Good luck.
Neil.

Trish Brown 14-02-2008 12:30 AM

recommendations for...

neil wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

That's a good idea! I've got three japonicas in almost total shade and
they're doing pretty well too, only somehow I think it's only by accident...

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

0tterbot 16-02-2008 11:27 PM

recommendations for...

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
neil wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

thanks people. i'll have to investigate those suggestions! cheers.
kylie