Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default vegies in pots

I'm desperately trying to grow tomatoes and eggplants in large pots without
success. The pots are those large ones called tomatoe pots and I use a good
quality potting mix. The few tomatoes that emerged were as tasteless as the
store bought and only a small eggplant emerged. This last result is typical
of several attempts so I'm wondering if there's a way to grow good quality
vegetables, not just the two mentioned, in a pot. I'm not interested in
hydroponics.
thank you
John

Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

"John" wrote in message
I'm desperately trying to grow tomatoes and eggplants in large pots without
success. The pots are those large ones called tomatoe pots and I use a good
quality potting mix. The few tomatoes that emerged were as tasteless as the
store bought and only a small eggplant emerged. This last result is typical
of several attempts so I'm wondering if there's a way to grow good quality
vegetables, not just the two mentioned, in a pot. I'm not interested in
hydroponics.
thank you
John

What was the typical temperature where you were trying to grow them? Tomatos
like it warm, eggplants like it hot .

Were they in full sun or at least half a day of full sun and the rest bright
light? How long was the day? Without enough sun they will be weak and spindly
and not fruit correctly.

Once established did you feed them with some fertilser every few weeks? Veges
are mostly heavy feeders, even if the pot is a bit small you can grow them if
you prevent them from drying out by regular watering and feed them. Small
pots do tend to dry out in the sun, this can be a problem if you don't water
often enough.

In general yes you can grow veges in pots if the conditions are right.

David

Old 02-03-2008, 01:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

I appreciate both responses and take all on board. I like the sound of
plastic garbage bins for size, tomatoe pots take about 40litres of soil,
with lots of seasoned compost and keeping the water up. Correct me if I'm
wrong but I assume a few holes need to be drilled through the bottom of the
bins. Noone mentioned the quality of their vegetables, but they can't be
worse than what the greengrocers have on offer.
thank you
John

Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John" wrote in message
I appreciate both responses and take all on board. I like the sound of
plastic garbage bins for size, tomatoe pots take about 40litres of soil,
with lots of seasoned compost and keeping the water up. Correct me if I'm
wrong but I assume a few holes need to be drilled through the bottom of the
bins.

Yes

Noone mentioned the quality of their vegetables, but they can't be
worse than what the greengrocers have on offer.
thank you

Flavour is more related to the cultivar that you grow and picking at optimum
ripeness. Supermarket veges are usually cultivars selected for any other
quality (durability, appearance, short bearing period etc) than flavour and
they are picked at optimum time for transport and storage.

David

Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John" wrote in message
[...]

have a look at this and see if it meets your needs.
http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf
rob

Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"John" wrote in message
I appreciate both responses and take all on board. I like the sound of
plastic garbage bins for size, tomatoe pots take about 40litres of soil,
with lots of seasoned compost and keeping the water up. Correct me if I'm
wrong but I assume a few holes need to be drilled through the bottom of the
bins.

Yes

Preferably at the bottom, on the sides, the bottom can get blocked when
its not on pebbles or similar.

Eucalypts and vegies Timbo Australia 1 27-04-2005 10:29 AM
How are the vegies, everyone? Chookie Australia 15 28-07-2004 11:47 PM
where did all those wild vegies go ? Michelle Texas 40 05-02-2004 04:02 PM
where did all those wild vegies go? Michelle Gardening 26 31-01-2004 06:42 PM
winter vegies Luke Australia 6 13-05-2003 03:32 PM