Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
Don Don is offline

Default Pittospurum dying

Folks

as like most of you we are in really dry conditions. I have a garden of
many different types of Pittospurums and have been limited in water. I live
in a cool to cold (Adelaide hills) very wet area (normally around 1400mm pa
rain). I have two 6 year old pittospurums that are starting to die from
within. There are branches and leaves within the plant that have gone
completely dead. They have dried off to a crinkly brown and the branches
just snap off. The trees in question are maybe 15 foot high and the rest of
the leaves etc look fine. Any ideas?

regards

Don

Old 09-03-2008, 07:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Don" wrote in message
Folks

as like most of you we are in really dry conditions. I have a garden of
many different types of Pittospurums and have been limited in water. I
live in a cool to cold (Adelaide hills) very wet area (normally around
1400mm pa rain). I have two 6 year old pittospurums that are starting to
die from within. There are branches and leaves within the plant that have
gone completely dead. They have dried off to a crinkly brown and the
branches just snap off. The trees in question are maybe 15 foot high and
the rest of the leaves etc look fine. Any ideas?

I don't know if it will help you at all but there has been a number of
widespread reports of pittosporums dieing suddenly in the past few years
(which seems to have co-incided with our drought conditions).

I did a hunt and found this article:
http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/stories/s1914648.htm

The remedy to try would be long deep watering, followed by an application of
seaweed emulsion and more long deep watering. Dunno how you can manage that
in drought conditions though. If it is phytophora then I think it might be
a case of "goodnight nurse".

Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Don wrote:
Folks
I have two 6 year old pittospurums that are starting
to die from within.

which particular one(species)?

We lost the one at home (P undulatum) when the borers got in and slowly
pruned it back to a tall stump,

Could be drought as the local native ones all like moist gullies.

Our P revolutum haven't survived 6 years yet, so could be a end of
natural life cycle, althought they are only a bush really.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
Don Don is offline

thanks for the article reference. Mine are mainly bush to small tree
variety and I think its a water problem. Will see how they pick up if we
ever get a deep soaking (assuming they hang on long enough)

regards

Don

"Terryc" wrote in message
Folks

Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 10:13 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Dying phal! Claude Orchids 1 25-01-2003 09:08 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM