Old 24-04-2008, 11:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default re-potting succulents

I have a couple of succulents in pots purchased from commercial
nurseries.

I would like to re-pot them into something bigger.

What sort of potting mix should I use? Standard over the counter stuff?
Old 24-04-2008, 12:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

Polly the Parrot wrote:
I have a couple of succulents in pots purchased from commercial
nurseries.

I would like to re-pot them into something bigger.

What sort of potting mix should I use? Standard over the counter stuff?

Yeah why not. Succulents will forgive you.
You can be mean and nasty with most of these.

Just dont let them get wet feet and dont use any water retaining
crystals etc.

Don Burke says The ideal potting mix for succulents in containers
should contain half coarse sand and half free-draining potting mix. Keep
the mix barely moist when planting and don't water for the first week.
Here are some good link to make it even easier...

http://tinyurl.com/6xbn9v

http://tinyurl.com/5pthx4

And dont worry about them, If you dont, they will get on with life, and
you can admire them as they do their "thing"!
Old 24-04-2008, 08:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:14:25 +1000 Jonno
wrote:

Just dont let them get wet feet and dont use any water retaining
crystals etc.

Better bring them in out of the constant Sydney rain then?
Old 25-04-2008, 01:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:15:18 +1000, Polly the Parrot
wrote in aus.gardens:

I have a couple of succulents in pots purchased from commercial
nurseries.

I would like to re-pot them into something bigger.

What sort of potting mix should I use? Standard over the counter stuff?

Succulents are the most forgiving of plants even I can grow them and
even make their cutting grow.

I use your basic Bunnings $2 mixture for plants and cuttings - seems
to work OK but like all wood based potting mixes needs changing every
year or so.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius
Old 25-04-2008, 07:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

Just dont let them get wet feet and dont use any water retaining
crystals etc.

Better bring them in out of the constant Sydney rain then?

Well if that whats happening, you should be so lucky. Its only just
starting to sprinkle here. Send some over...

Old 25-04-2008, 07:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in aus.gardens:

I have a couple of succulents in pots purchased from commercial
nurseries.

I would like to re-pot them into something bigger.

What sort of potting mix should I use? Standard over the counter stuff?

Succulents are the most forgiving of plants even I can grow them and
even make their cutting grow.

I use your basic Bunnings $2 mixture for plants and cuttings - seems
to work OK but like all wood based potting mixes needs changing every
year or so.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

I would rather grow them in garbage than give Bunnings $2.

But youre right, they are forgiving. But I'm not....
Over priced and a lot of rubbish... Actually I would be growing them in
rubbish wouldnt I?