Old 25-04-2008, 08:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Life's a bog

It's still raining. 290mm (11 1/2 in) this month so far including 80mm (3
1/2in) last night. It seems we have our own private east coast low sitting
just out to sea.

The dam overflow is running backwards - that is the river is running into it -
it will part of the river soon. Normally the river is 10m (30ft) wide and
30cm (1ft) deep. Now it is 100m (320ft) wide and 13m (42ft) deep. The road
is cut both ways. The horses had a silly spin when they went down to drink
'cause the floodwaters made everything look different. Lucky they one of them
didn't slip over and hurt his stupid self or fall in and drown.

The garden has water running through it (it's on a hill). I found an Eastern
Longneck Tortoise and a Water Dragon trying to escape, they can swim but the
flood flushes them out of the comfy little holes and fishing places. As for
working in the garden forget it. But we did ask for La Nina so went can't
complain too much.

David

Old 25-04-2008, 11:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day David

Was wondering how you were going...I think we are the only two people in
this area who frequent this group? I'm never one to complain about rain
but gee it's getting hard to resist...hasn't it tumbled down?

I had to phone the SES yesterday because after a horrendous downpour
around 8am (which had to be have been several inches) water was coming
through a bedroom ceiling. 'Never' had this happen before and I've been
in this house for almost 16 yrs. The intersection where I live was
underwater with water level at car headlight height and I am listening
to the ocean as I type and it's still roaring.

One day we'll see the sun again!! ....maybe!!
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 25-04-2008, 11:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Should have added that a village not far from here had 260mm in 21 hours
over Wed/Thurs early am. Not sure what they had for the other 12 days.

;-)
Old 25-04-2008, 01:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

It's still raining. 290mm (11 1/2 in) this month so far including 80mm (3
1/2in) last night. It seems we have our own private east coast low
sitting
just out to sea.

Stop skiteing David!

I've done everything I can think of to make it rain as we've recently had
days of overcast weather. I've washed the car, left it out: put washing on
the line till the line was full, left if there for days: left out gardening
tools (secateurs, gloves, hand tools and every tool I can find with a wooden
handle): even left out my straw hat. Not a bloody sausage!

[...]

You complain and I'll throw something at you! Just send some south will ya?
Please, pretty please.

Old 25-04-2008, 01:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message

Should have added that a village not far from here had 260mm in 21 hours
over Wed/Thurs early am. Not sure what they had for the other 12 days.

Greedy sods. Haven't they heard of sharing?

Old 25-04-2008, 02:00 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

I'm sure they would love to share...at the moment lots of
roads/bridges/etc are cut by rising floodwaters. Just hope their homes
and lives are OK. No time to build an ark!

;-)

Old 25-04-2008, 02:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:

G'day David

Was wondering how you were going...I think we are the only two people in
this area who frequent this group? I'm never one to complain about rain
but gee it's getting hard to resist...hasn't it tumbled down?

I had to phone the SES yesterday because after a horrendous downpour
around 8am (which had to be have been several inches) water was coming
through a bedroom ceiling. 'Never' had this happen before and I've been
in this house for almost 16 yrs. The intersection where I live was
underwater with water level at car headlight height and I am listening
to the ocean as I type and it's still roaring.

One day we'll see the sun again!! ....maybe!!
Bronwyn ;-)

Where's 'here'? I'm in Newcastle and my back yard is virtually flowing
down the block and out onto the street! All the local canals and drains
have risen level with their banks and if it doesn't clear up soon, we'll
have a repeat of the floods we suffered last year! Yick!

Not to belittle your ceiling problem, but it's been raining in my back
room for a week now. Three buckets and a very nasty feeling when
raindrops keep falling on my head as I type this! We have a tin roof, so
of course the rain manages to blow itself forcibly underneath to pool on
the ceilings. Yes, the sound of rain on a tin roof can be charming, but
not the way it's been lately. They're predicting sun for the end of next
week, which is good: local Scouts are having their Aviation Activities
weekend.

We hope...

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 25-04-2008, 02:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:45:12 +1000, FarmI wrote:

I've done everything I can think of to make it rain as we've recently had
days of overcast weather. I've washed the car, left it out: put washing on
the line till the line was full, left if there for days: left out gardening
tools (secateurs, gloves, hand tools and every tool I can find with a wooden
handle): even left out my straw hat. Not a bloody sausage!

you forgot to try watering the garden.
Works everytime here (well almost).

Old 25-04-2008, 03:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
HC wrote:

[...]

If you get sunshine there, sometimes we get rain in Melbourne. Here's
hoping. Its after twelve midnight, and its trying to rain. Its
pathetically trying... I dont think it knows how to ...Its been so long.
As far as being the only two on this aus.gardens Were watching ya...

Old 27-04-2008, 01:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:45:12 +1000, FarmI wrote:

I've done everything I can think of to make it rain as we've recently had
days of overcast weather. I've washed the car, left it out: put washing on
the line till the line was full, left if there for days: left out gardening
tools (secateurs, gloves, hand tools and every tool I can find with a wooden
handle): even left out my straw hat. Not a bloody sausage!

you forgot to try watering the garden.
Works everytime here (well almost).

Wel lI watered the garden (on my alloted day of course, and its rained.
My dust gauge read 10 measly points overnight. (of water)
Old 27-04-2008, 03:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:01:50 +1000, Jonno wrote:

Wel lI watered the garden (on my alloted day of course, and its rained.
My dust gauge read 10 measly points overnight. (of water)

Yep, just about right too.

Bare root strawberries (shelf life, indoor life - to survive in thefrost, ready to plant outside)? gar_newbie Gardening 5 25-03-2009 09:20 PM
Bog Plants - deer resistant? Ken and Nancy Quantock Ponds 3 27-06-2003 05:44 PM
Bog Plants - deer resistant? Ken and Nancy Quantock Ponds (alternative) 1 30-03-2003 09:08 AM
tech VF-bog question John Rutz Ponds 8 05-03-2003 11:03 PM
Problem Area - Bog Garden? Bot Grl Gardening 9 24-02-2003 02:51 AM