Old 28-04-2008, 12:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Blue Browallia?

I have a plant in our garden that is flowering at this time of the year,
with a very pretty mauve/blue trumpet style flower (similar in colour to the
lovely Blue Plumbago)

The leaves of the plant are oval shaped and kind of "furry". It
self-propagates very prolifically by seed (almost to the weed stage!), and
only flowers for a couple of weeks annually.

It is very hardy and reasonably drought resistant.

I have always known this plant as Blue Browallia, and was surprised to find
when I Googled this that my plant looks nothing like the photos of Browallia
available (mainly overseas)!!

My plant does look a bit like Browallia jamisonii - the orange flowering
one, but the flowers are as mentioned before, quite a lovely blue/mauve.

I've had a hunt through my many gardening books to positively identify it,
and have asked a number of friends, who tell me they have also always known
this plant as Blue Browallia.

Can any of you gardening gurus enlighten me as to the botanical name of this
plant?

Thanks..... in anticipation.

~Roberta~ in Geraldton Western Australia