Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Laura at theGardenPages wrote:

I know, I hate to see all that water to down the drain too! I've used
my laundry water for the lawn and shrubs with no problem. I haven't
tried it on veggies.

If you use boi-degradeable SOAP not detergent you can use the wash
water. The rinse water is fine by you have to be careful about that
fabric softener.

Plus, deep watering is better for shrubs than a sprinkling anyway.
Good for you!

Perfect storm indeed. We had good rain Nov. to March and then the driest
March-April ever. We are looking at sever water rationing at the same
time the price of food is skyrocketing. I think I need a water tank.
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related

All my piped wastewater goes to the leech field via the septic tank. Due to
the low permeability of my local soil, I opted for an above ground leech
field. It the size of a very large putting green. Soil depth is too deep
to have any concern of grass rootage affecting the leech piping. But, at
the same time, enough water is drained to keep the grass from drying out in
drought periods...

And I'll bet it's REALLY green! :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Any recipes for crappie minnows?;-))

Just eat 'em whole! Sushi.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.
That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Trout are also a good alternative, but it rooly depends on the size of
the tank.
Mossies are not really problem. Just put in some fly screens mesh (in
the tank stoopid) not in the windows.
Really some people have no imagination, and neither have they got a
sense of humus...er humour? you git my vote omelet. Bacon with that?

Indeed... Gotta fry the fish in bacon grease. ;-d

A little veggie or mineral oil on top of the water kills skeeter larvae
too.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
"enigma" wrote in message

lee contemplating windmills

What are you contemplating windmills for? To pump water
from your well?

electricty generation. i'm on a ridge & there is always some
breeze. i don't expect to make money, but if i can offset the
US$300+/month in electric bills a little, i'd be happy.

What a co-incidence! Today my husband and I went to a Festival in a small
village reasonably near us. Dear, scruffy little village just off the
highway and we have often stopped there to go to the loo in the village park
rather than use the disgusting overused toilet facilities available on the
highway rest areas/clip joints. The last few times we'd been there we'd
noticed a couple of small electric generating windmills on one particualr
house along with a solar array.

Today we specifically went for a walk so we could check out this house and
it's set up as I was hoping to be able to read a name on the windmills -
sadly nothing but a coat of paint. It been a very still, gorgeous Autumn
day, with what we thought was no breze but these little guys were still
turning and still generating - they were impressive.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message

[...]

Ye gods a toilet inspector. Also a wind expert, and now a electrical
name inspector. And a commentator. What will they think of next...

Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

Yup, and kerosene works even better. Wonder what it does to the plants
though.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

That is why I suggested a neutral oil. g

All it does is prevent them from breathing so they suffocate.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

Yah, I was thinking to fry the little critters (g)
You are so cruel. Fire is faster. Dont take much to give dem fish lung
cancer...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:33 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

In that case... see above.
Peanut oil is good too. Coat the fishies lightly in spiced up corn
starch and DEEP FRY!
Bacon grease. ;-D

Old 04-05-2008, 02:33 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Jonno wrote in
u:

"enigma" wrote in message

[...]

ye gods! an inane commentator adding nothing to the convo.

yes, the small windmills don't need a whole lot of breeze. 4-
6kph is enough. we get that fairly steady most of the year (&
higher frequently). i guess it makes up for this latitude's
low sun angle
BTW, Fran, could you pop me off an email? i have some cancer
questions for you.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always
eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Any recipes for crappie minnows?;-))

Just eat 'em whole! Sushi.

I like my fish well done and flakey and who you callin' Sushi? Is that a
speech impediment or somethin'?;-)
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 04-05-2008, 06:26 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy
their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always
eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Any recipes for crappie minnows?;-))

Just eat 'em whole! Sushi.

I like my fish well done and flakey and who you callin' Sushi? Is that a
speech impediment or somethin'?;-)

Sashimi... ;-)

Old 04-05-2008, 07:01 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
Jonno wrote in
u:

"enigma" wrote in message

[...]

That was an attempt at humour. This subject is so boring.
Windmills like this can be imported directly and cheaply from China
these days....Is that adding to the conversation?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:10 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sashimi... ;-)

Oh, my god.

Sashimi is a Japanese delicacy primarily consisting of very fresh raw
seafood, sliced into thin pieces . . .
A reputed motivation for serving wasabi with sashimi (and also gari,
pickled ginger), besides its flavor, is killing harmful bacteria and
parasites that could be present in raw seafood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

I was going to have breakfast, now I have to wait for the room to
stop spinning:-P

Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sashimi... ;-)

Oh, my god.

Sashimi is a Japanese delicacy primarily consisting of very fresh raw
seafood, sliced into thin pieces . . .
A reputed motivation for serving wasabi with sashimi (and also gari,
pickled ginger), besides its flavor, is killing harmful bacteria and
parasites that could be present in raw seafood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

I was going to have breakfast, now I have to wait for the room to
stop spinning:-P

Sorry. ;-)

While I like cooked fish, sometimes I'm just in the mood for really
"fresh" food...

Steak Tartar is the most obvious one, but there are others using thinly
sliced raw beef in a salad, but I can't remember what it's called. The
trick to making it really good is using really _lean_ beef as, to me,
raw beef fat is nasty. :-P

Sometimes I just crave raw beef. I probably need the iron. It's a girl
thing.

I generally use Top round:

http://i16.tinypic.com/5xywje1.jpg

Dipped in a bit of soy sauce and/or raw egg yolk. ;-d