Old 07-05-2008, 01:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Growing Trees

Hi,

I'm about to join Trees For Life so that I can grow some trees for my in
laws 5 acre property in Mannum , South Australia. I've been given a
reasonable sized list of trees to choose from and am now pondering what to
choose. Alot of the trees are Mallee's and I was under the impression that
these grew relatively slowly compared to other trees. Anyone here know if
the mallees are a slow growing tree? What Australian native trees are quick
growers and have a height of at least 3-4m?

Cheers
Luke

Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Luke" blah@blah wrote in message
Hi,

I'm about to join Trees For Life so that I can grow some trees for my in
laws 5 acre property in Mannum , South Australia. I've been given a
reasonable sized list of trees to choose from and am now pondering what to
choose. Alot of the trees are Mallee's and I was under the impression that
these grew relatively slowly compared to other trees. Anyone here know if
the mallees are a slow growing tree? What Australian native trees are
quick growers and have a height of at least 3-4m?

Cheers
Luke

I have found wattles are good but fairly short lived (8 years). Acacia
mearnsii, A. decurrens A. melanoxylon and A. dealbata will see you out
though.

But before going the native route I recommend you read a book called "Back
from the brink" by Peter Andrews which is printed by ABC print. It is more
on trees that build up soil fertility over time which sadly Dry Temperate
Australian Natives fail to do.

Cheers

Richard

Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day luke,

5 acres not a huge piece of land and there will be infrastructure to
consider.

so genearlly on that size i would be thinking no tall forest type
trees.

also would suggest to keep it simple just go for indemic type trees be
they mallee or something else, they are going to grow more
sustainably, and at planting time mulching will keep moisture about
the root systems and insulate the yung developing root systems.

On Wed, 7 May 2008 20:34:15 +0930, "Luke" blah@blah wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to join Trees For Life so that I can grow some trees for my in
laws 5 acre property in Mannum , South Australia. I've been given a
reasonable sized list of trees to choose from and am now pondering what to
choose. Alot of the trees are Mallee's and I was under the impression that
these grew relatively slowly compared to other trees. Anyone here know if
the mallees are a slow growing tree? What Australian native trees are quick
growers and have a height of at least 3-4m?

Cheers
Luke

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Luke" blah@blah wrote in message
Hi,

I'm about to join Trees For Life so that I can grow some trees for my in
laws 5 acre property in Mannum , South Australia. I've been given a
reasonable sized list of trees to choose from

is it a list of trees that grow well locally, or some other list?

you really are best off going with trees that grow well in the area. you'll
save yourself a lot of pain.

and am now pondering what to
choose. Alot of the trees are Mallee's and I was under the impression that
these grew relatively slowly compared to other trees. Anyone here know if
the mallees are a slow growing tree? What Australian native trees are
quick growers and have a height of at least 3-4m?

i'm pretty vague on trees in general, but the most astonishing tree at my
place for growing quickly and spreading with gay abandon is the black
wattle. it's incredible.

having said that, it might not go well where you are (although i believe
it's rather adaptable). at my place, the only thing stopping it from being a
weed is the necessity of firewood!!

that's not really a recommendation though. :-)

consult a good local nursery or govt tree whatnot (whatever they are
called). in _every_ area there are trees which grow well & naturalise
easily - the trees that were there prior to clearing.
kylie

Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 7 May 2008 20:34:15 +0930, "Luke" blah@blah wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to join Trees For Life so that I can grow some trees for my in
laws 5 acre property in Mannum , South Australia. I've been given a
reasonable sized list of trees to choose from and am now pondering what to
choose. Alot of the trees are Mallee's and I was under the impression that
these grew relatively slowly compared to other trees. Anyone here know if
the mallees are a slow growing tree? What Australian native trees are quick
growers and have a height of at least 3-4m?

Cheers
Luke

Here a starting point:-

http://asgap.org.au/

Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

having said that, it might not go well where you are (although i believe
it's rather adaptable). at my place, the only thing stopping it from being
a weed is the necessity of firewood!!

that's not really a recommendation though. :-)

And it blunts the chainsaw real quick!