Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens,aus.gardens

Default Fodder - note the cross post

Thought of you folks. Looking about the only fodder plant I have is
comfey. Our oaks are a natural source of acorns too.

These folks look like they have done a lot of work in this area.

http://www.mtg.unimelb.edu.au/publications/des_ch5.pdf

Always more at

http://www.google.com/search?client=...der+plants&ie=
UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Enjoy

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,aus.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
Thought of you folks. Looking about the only fodder plant I have is
comfey. Our oaks are a natural source of acorns too.

These folks look like they have done a lot of work in this area.

http://www.mtg.unimelb.edu.au/publications/des_ch5.pdf

I've seen one farm where extensive tree/shrub plants has been done for both
fodder and stock shelter. It went from being a lunar like landscape where
every wind blew away top soil, to now being a lush, well protected and
fertile farm where the animals are in great condition and where stocking
rates have gone up as ground area was lost to plantings. Absolutley
inspirational as just over the fence in the neighbouring paddocks still look
like a lunar landscape.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,aus.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
Thought of you folks. Looking about the only fodder plant I have is
comfey. Our oaks are a natural source of acorns too.

These folks look like they have done a lot of work in this area.

http://www.mtg.unimelb.edu.au/publications/des_ch5.pdf

I've seen one farm where extensive tree/shrub plants has been done for both
fodder and stock shelter. It went from being a lunar like landscape where
every wind blew away top soil, to now being a lush, well protected and
fertile farm where the animals are in great condition and where stocking
rates have gone up as ground area was lost to plantings. Absolutley
inspirational as just over the fence in the neighbouring paddocks still look
like a lunar landscape.

Are you letting on who or where, or is there any published material that
describes it in more detail?

David

Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Well I would have given the details at the time of posting if I could have
remembered its name. I thought it was part of the Open Garden Scheme and so
I did a hunt through my back copies of the book. Page 22 of the 2006-7 book
or if you don't keep your old copies see:
http://www.gunningnsw.com.au/index.php/articles/483