Old 25-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Mylorace

Default Potato's in old tires ?

Hi, I dont have a lot of space , but want to grow a few spuds , saw something ,
do not remember where, about successful growing in old car tires, can someone
please put me on the right track with a website or other info on this matter,
Thanks in advance
Mylo.
Old 25-04-2003, 09:20 AM
len brauer

g'day mylo,

there is something about growing potatoes in tyres on the following
link, go to the 'vegetable profiles' and look under 'potatoes'.

http://www.thevegetablepatch.com/

also then go to the the 'how to guides' he has many ideas on container
growing.

for me i wouldn't use old tyres for edible crops, as there could be
leaching of chemicals and no research has been done to show one way or
the other so i err on the side of caution.

i tried growing potatoes in large containers as suggested by many
gardening gurues, and all attempts failed miserably, my best results
came from plantinf the seed potatoes into my raised beds.

On 25 Apr 2003 05:19:19 GMT, (Mylorace) wrote:

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 27-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Mylorace

Thanks a lot, very helpful, am not to worried about leaching of chemicals from
modern tyres, and the tip about the site was very handy, thanks a lot.
Mylo.
Old 27-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Dwayne

Dont water them too much. I did and they rotted. I forgot that the tires
filled with water and kept it wet down inside longer. If I were going to do
it again, instead of using tires, I would use a tomatoe cage (a 6 foot long
and 3 or 4 feet high, piece of fence, rolled into a circle and fastened.
That way the extra water would drain out and not cause any problems.

Have fun. Dwayne

Old 30-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Bushy

Just drill a couple of holes in the side of the tyre so that when you lie it
down the water that would sit can drain.

I use a bit of old potting mix or whatever old organic mater that's about
and a bit of dirt and then kick the tyres out to harvest.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old 03-05-2003, 03:09 AM
Mylorace

Hope this helps,
Peter

Yes it does, thanks Peter.
Old 21-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Barrie Mather

Mylorace wrote:

Hi, I dont have a lot of space , but want to grow a few spuds , saw something ,
do not remember where, about successful growing in old car tires, can someone
please put me on the right track with a website or other info on this matter,
Thanks in advance
Mylo.

I've tried to make this trick work several times, but without success.

Similarly the one where you put seed potatoes under a couple of feet of hay

Hope you have better luck than I did.
Barrie

Old 21-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Lyndon Thomas

Get a strong plastic sack like a compost sack, put a few inches of compost
on the bottom place your spuds on this and cover with compost, as soon as
the potatoes sprout and come through the compost cover them with more
compost keep doing this until the sack is full. Leave the potatoes to grow
and when the leaves start dying back cut the sack open and you should have a
some good spuds. This is how i grow mine every year with good results.
Lyndon

Old 10-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Neil Barnett

Hi,
I did this once in the space between the house and side fence. Simply put
you put soil/compost in a tyre on the ground and plant the spuds. When the
shoots appear through the soil add another tyre and fill it with the
soil/compost. As plant grows up keeping adding tyres to a convenient (and
safe) height. When ready to harvest you have spuds all the way down.
Neil