Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Is it possible to keep mushroom farm for next year?

I just bought a mushroom farm. I'm wondering if it is possible to let a
mushroom spore and grow them again next season?

thanks

Lionel
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:26:13 +1000, none wrote:

I just bought a mushroom farm. I'm wondering if it is possible to let a
mushroom spore and grow them again next season?

If like all gardens you replace the nutrients, aka completely rebuild the
mushroom farm. basically it is a pile of wet straw and dynamic lifter
that is innoculated with the spore.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"none" ""lionel\"@(none)" wrote in message
I just bought a mushroom farm. I'm wondering if it is possible to let a
mushroom spore and grow them again next season?

thanks

Lionel

Yes you can collect the spores. Lay glossy paper around the base of a big'un
as it opens. You will get a pattern of black/brown that you can roll up and
keep in a dry place until you have new compost and the temperature is right.

David

Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"none" ""lionel\"@(none)" wrote in message
I just bought a mushroom farm. I'm wondering if it is possible to let a
mushroom spore and grow them again next season?

thanks

Lionel

Yes you can collect the spores. Lay glossy paper around the base of a big'un
as it opens. You will get a pattern of black/brown that you can roll up and
keep in a dry place until you have new compost and the temperature is right.

Great, I'm gonna give it a crack when it comes time .

Thanks

Lionel.
Old 23-06-2008, 04:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

none ""lionel\"@(none)" writes:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
"none" ""lionel\"@(none)" wrote in message
I just bought a mushroom farm. I'm wondering if it is possible to let a
mushroom spore and grow them again next season?

thanks

Lionel

Yes you can collect the spores. Lay glossy paper around the base of a big'un
as it opens. You will get a pattern of black/brown that you can roll up and
keep in a dry place until you have new compost and the temperature is right.

Great, I'm gonna give it a crack when it comes time .

Do mushrooms have 'seasons'? I thought they'd grow all year 'round if you
have a suitable basement, disused railway tunnel, whatever. If your saved
spore loses its potency, just buy a large flat mushroom from the green-
grocer's about a week before you want to plant the spore. If you store the
'shroom in the brown paper bag you buy it in, the inside of the bag will
develop a circle of dark grey spore underneath the gills.

Old 23-06-2008, 11:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:01:03 +0000, John Savage wrote:

Do mushrooms have 'seasons'? I thought they'd grow all year 'round if you
have a suitable basement,

Top of the off-peak water heater worked for us.

Old 25-06-2008, 06:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
none ""lionel\"@(none)" writes:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

They have no season as such, all they need is fresh compost, moisture and the
right temperature for the particular type. The business of keeping them in
the dark is not in itself important, it's just that dark places may be easier
to keep at the right temperature and humidity, and light is not required like
green plants. Field mushrooms grow in full sun.

David