GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   oranges & when ripe (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/175894-oranges-when-ripe.html)

Sandra Bodycoat 14-06-2008 06:49 AM

oranges & when ripe

14th June 08
Hi to all

I know this sounds a logical question, I have a orange tree that is laden
with fruit & my husband keeps picking the odd orange as they appear ready
but there not how will we know?
Thanks
Sandra

terryc 14-06-2008 07:57 AM

oranges & when ripe

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:49:55 +0800, Sandra Bodycoat wrote:

14th June 08
Hi to all

I know this sounds a logical question, I have a orange tree that is laden
with fruit & my husband keeps picking the odd orange as they appear ready
but there not how will we know?

Taste as you are finding out.
You have to watch them closely.
With my navels, I wait until the navel starts to really open. with the
valenciasit is more no green on the end and looks wellcoloured.

Give it a fortnght between taste picks, but you can try anything that
falls off.

Caveat, some years you just get dud crops.

Chookie 18-06-2008 12:24 PM

oranges & when ripe

In article ,
"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote:

I know this sounds a logical question, I have a orange tree that is laden
with fruit & my husband keeps picking the odd orange as they appear ready
but there not how will we know?

My next-door neighbour says that you need to wait for a frost to sweeten them.
I don't know what varieties she has.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/

cruzing 22-06-2008 08:00 AM

oranges & when ripe

On Jun 14, 2:49*pm, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:
14th June 08
Hi to all

I know this sounds a logical question, I have a orange tree that is laden
with fruit & my husband keeps picking the odd orange as they appear ready
but there not how will we know?
Thanks
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
My Mother in Law always said that citrus should not be picked untill
after the 1st frost. and the fruit was always sweet.

John Savage 23-06-2008 02:47 PM

oranges & when ripe

wrote:
14th June 08
Hi to all

I know this sounds a logical question, I have a orange tree that is laden
with fruit & my husband keeps picking the odd orange as they appear ready
but there not how will we know?
Thanks
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
My Mother in Law always said that citrus should not be picked untill
after the 1st frost. and the fruit was always sweet.

Laden with fruit? Maybe Sandra has a Seville orange? Quite inedible even
though they appear to be a perfectly coloured orange! Gather the jam
jars ready for making marmalade in that case!

Otherwise, like the others suggested, pick one every 2 or 3 weeks and
see what it's like.