Old 28-06-2008, 01:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Growing cordylines

Hi All

When you buy Cordylines their tags states full sun does that mean they can
cope with our (West Aust) hot summers as well?
My understanding of these plants is that they are from New Zealand so they
wouldnt really be able to cope with our heat?
Any suggestions for growing them/
Thanks
Sandra

Old 28-06-2008, 09:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day sandra,

i always treat them as tropicals as they feature in islander culture
landscapes, so not sure about the nz factor at all?

if the tag says full sun then full sun is exactly that where ever you
may live, of course if teh plant isn't sun hardened then the leaves
will get some sun damage but they will over time be replaced by new
sun hardened leaves.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:42:00 +0800, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 30-06-2008, 07:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Jun 28, 9:42 pm, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:
Hi All

When you buy Cordylines their tags states full sun does that mean they can
cope with our (West Aust) hot summers as well?
My understanding of these plants is that they are from New Zealand so they
wouldnt really be able to cope with our heat?
Any suggestions for growing them/
Thanks
Sandra

What type of cordyline? Cordyline australis takes full sun in
Melbourne with temps up to 40oC so I imagine the same could be said
for WA. In my hands, the fruticosa varieties fry under anything more
than semi-shade.
Old 30-06-2008, 01:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

Hi
I will need to go & check, I know I had the plant "red fountain " growing &
the sun burnt it & it was bought from a nursery that sun hardens its plants.
As well I have found flax's aren't meant for our heat.
cheers
Sandra
. au...