Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Treating Bracket Fungi

Hi,

I have some form of Bracket Fungi in a tree of mine (unsure of the type of
tree), a pic of the fungi can be seen here
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...spirit/055.jpg . Just curious if
there is a treatment for this, I've read that if it has rotted the tree away
too much then the tree needs to be cut down. The tree is a good 10m high,
with branches over my house and a neighbours garage. I have actually gouged
out all the fungus this morning and in a couple of spots it has rotted into
the tree about3-4 inches. I have sprayed triforine on it, I realise it is a
rose fungicide but thought it may help. Any suggestions prior to me getting
an arborist to come out and have a look? There are about 8 outbreaks over
the tree if that makes any difference.

Regards
Luke

Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:42:31 +0930, Luke wrote:

Hi,

I have some form of Bracket Fungi in a tree of mine (unsure of the type of
tree), a pic of the fungi can be seen here
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...spirit/055.jpg . Just curious if
there is a treatment for this, I've read that if it has rotted the tree away
too much then the tree needs to be cut down.

The bracket fungi does not rot away the tree/ it grows on the dead wood
that is inside the tree, and just about every treee has dead wood.

In Australia, our larger native trees typically rot out from the core. so
instead of being like a solid bar of metal, they become like a pipe.
pipes only become weak when there are too many holes in the sides and if
they are overload, the pipe kinks and collapses.

the propblem with a piped tree it trunk damage and carrying too much
crown in too strong a wind.

The tree is a good 10m high, with branches over my
house and a neighbours garage.

If you are worried and want the tree gone, IME most councils will give you
permssion to lop it if you want to, especially if you point out it has
fungi growing on it.

Otherwise, check your house insurance and enjoy the natural shade and
summer cooling it is giving you.

You could also trim the load(crown), but how much really depends on how
much damage has been done to the trunk.

What species is it and how often does it drop branches?

I have big gums on my boundaries and if need be, I could take down the
dead branches before they fall, but we don't.

Perhaps that is all you need to do. a dead limb is going to be enormously
lighter than trimming a living one.

I have actually gouged out all the fungus this morning and
in a couple of spots it has rotted into the tree about3-4 inches.

All you have gouged out is the fruiting body. just like taking an apple
off an apple tree.

I have sprayed triforine on it, I
realise it is a rose fungicide but thought it may help. Any suggestions
prior to me getting an arborist to come out and have a look? There are
about 8 outbreaks over the tree if that makes any difference.

Sounds like the tree might be reaching the end of its life.
See commets about council permission.
Otherwise, drill right through the trunk and measure how much wood is
around the pipe wall.

I have seen 100metre trees that were 6' across dropped and they had only
12" of trunk left. since they were on the crown of a hill and the forest
around them had been clear felled, they were considered highly likely to
fall in the next few years from strong winds, but that wasn't the reason
they were cut down.

Regards
Luke

Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Jul 3, 11:12 am, "Luke" blah@blah wrote:
I have sprayed triforine on it, I realise it is a
rose fungicide but thought it may help.

Fungicides probably won't do much to solve the problem. Systemics are
transported through living tissue. As the heartwood of the tree is
essentially dead, a systemic fungicide is unlikely to reach the fungi
causing the problem. Even spraying the surface that you've just
pulled the fruiting body from will not kill the fungi deep inside the
tree.