GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   edible leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/17668-edible-leaves.html)

John Savage 25-04-2003 11:56 PM

edible leaves

On the tele the other day they were talking about the edible leaves:
mulberry, sweet potato, and hibiscus. The sampler reported mulberry as
not tasting very nice, sweet potato to be quite sweet, but hibiscus was
best of all. Can't say I've tried any, but the way sweet potatoes thrive
in even poor soil, they might be a good prospect! I once planted a white
sprouting sweet potato in rich soil, and the runners spread to fill half
the yard. Towards the end of summer I decided I'd dig a small area each
couple of days, depending how many kg of tubers I found. :-)

I started digging, and dug and dug. Within an hour I'd dug the whole
plant out, and the only tuber I found was the original one I'd planted!

I recall that the violet leaf is edible, reputedly having some medicinal
properties.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Just a little bit 26-04-2003 01:44 PM

edible leaves

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:47:13 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

On the tele the other day they were talking about the edible leaves:
mulberry, sweet potato, and hibiscus. The sampler reported mulberry as
not tasting very nice, sweet potato to be quite sweet, but hibiscus was
best of all. Can't say I've tried any, but the way sweet potatoes thrive

I must say that hibiscus beetles agree that hibiscus leaves are delicious! ;-)

John Savage 01-05-2003 02:44 AM

edible leaves

Just a little bit writes:
I must say that hibiscus beetles agree that hibiscus leaves are delicious! ;-)

I believe that silkworm lavae say the same about mulberry leaves!
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Barrie Mather 21-05-2003 09:08 AM

edible leaves

John Savage wrote:

On the tele the other day they were talking about the edible leaves:
mulberry,

Quite a lot of plants have edible leaves. Rocket and warrigal greens for
starters. They almost have the status of vegetables. Things like fennel
and chickory could be thought of as vegetables gone feral. Mallow grows
in the autumn. Others include purslane, sorrel, nettles,

Barrie