Old 25-04-2003, 11:56 PM
John Savage

Default Gallipoli: pink flowering succulent

On Anzac Day SBS TV ran a program on John Simpson Kirkpatrick (Simpson
and his Donkey). Among the serried white headstones, the Turkish gardeners
tended a variety of perennials. There were some beds of a low spreading
succulent with deep-pink flowers quite like a glossy purple daisy bloom.
This may have been a native, it was difficult to judge. Anyway, my Mum has
this same plant growing in her garden and doesn't have a name to fit to it.
Did anyone see the SBS program and recognise the plant? It has stems or
'leaves' about as thick as a woman's little finger.

In the interim, I'll dub it Simpson's Succulent. :-)
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 PM
J. Morrow

i've seen something similar growing near melbourne beaches like 90 mile
beach etc..

Old 26-04-2003, 07:32 PM
M. Tiefert

In article , John Savage wrote:
There were some beds of a low spreading
succulent with deep-pink flowers quite like a glossy purple daisy bloom.
This may have been a native, it was difficult to judge. Anyway, my Mum has
this same plant growing in her garden and doesn't have a name to fit to it.
Did anyone see the SBS program and recognise the plant? It has stems or
'leaves' about as thick as a woman's little finger.

I didn't see the program, but it sounds like some sort of "ice plant" -
which used to be all Mesembryanthemums, but that has been divided into
at least 10 new genera. Hope that helps!

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Coleridge shop: http://www.cafeshops.com/coleridgestore
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/

Succulent Plants Giuliano Gentili Plant Science 1 03-09-2003 07:22 PM
Succulent identification please. Tony Bond United Kingdom 4 21-06-2003 11:20 PM
cacti/succulent whiteMemphis Plant Science 5 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
Succulent expert EBG Gardening 0 10-03-2003 03:32 PM
succulent cuttings Iris Cohen Gardening 1 10-02-2003 09:25 AM