Old 18-07-2008, 01:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Lawn care

18th July

Hi all
My question is what should I be doing or putting on my lawn to promote deep
rooted lawn with less weeds?
I am in Western Australia Perth South, I have couch ( spelling is wrong)
lawn.
thanks to all
Sandra

Old 18-07-2008, 08:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day sandra,

it's all in the cutting of the lawn.

the taller you cut the grass the deeper the roots will be, getting
some fine humus type organic material and raking it around will help
the soil to hold better moisture.

and leave the clip on the lawn never use a catcher, lwan clipping
provide the easiest and simplest source of nutrients and amendments.
we even don't use catcher type plades on our mower but instead blades
that have no lift or suction so the top soil doesn't get disturbed.
catching grass can remove a lot of soil over time.

but apart from use your grey water to water it, don't waste too many
resouces on an otherwise resource wastefull folly of manicured lawns.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:06:26 +0800, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 20-07-2008, 07:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Sandra - I live about 10 minutes drive from you. I've been trying to improve
my lawn for several years now. Mixed results but getting there, I get the
occassional compliment.
I would second part of Len's advice - cutting is key and leaving the clip on
the lawn is generally better than binning it.
I use my mulching plug almost every time.
However, for me the key is to take a small amount off regularly. In summer I
mow EVERY weekend - more if I could. If you take a large amount off
infrequently then you get a patchy lawn. If you take a small haircut
regularly then it grows think and healthy and keeps out weeds, pests and
diseases.
Generally a deep soak rather than a light spray - no need to add water at
all at the moment. For me (with a bore) three deep drinks a week in the
middle of summer. You could maybe get by with two but the lawn shows some
stress. That can be phased in from zero in winter going up to one, then two
waterings and three when it needs it. (Ok, I know you'll all get stuck in
about wasting our most precious resource on grass! You know you're all just
jealous of a gorgeous green sward! ;-) I'd also add water early morning, not
late in the day or evening - better not to leave the grass damp and cold
overnight if you can avoid it.
Apart from that I do the odd weed and feed, generally one in spring, one in
autumn. I use a wetting agent in the spring. Otherwise I just try and keep
an eye on it when I mow and do the occassional spot treatment for
ants/beetles, dry patches etc. I'm thinking about giving it a vertimow this
spring.
Good luck.

wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Garden Gnomes care about the environment? Obviously not! Take legal action against fishing groups, under the duty of care rule. Brian[_9_] United Kingdom 0 07-02-2007 08:01 PM
lawn care prices. sp500 Lawns 2 29-03-2003 02:32 PM
Great Lawn Care Web Sites? gilgantic Lawns 1 24-02-2003 08:59 AM
Year Around Lawn Care Tips? gilgantic Lawns 1 19-02-2003 10:10 PM
North Carolina Red Dirt Lawn Care gilgantic Lawns 1 03-02-2003 06:22 PM