Old 26-07-2008, 08:56 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default Apple tree

We have an apple tree with a few main stems and a few suckers (soon to go).
My aim is to make the tree fan shaped, with only one stem and a darn sight
less branches than now.
My problem I have never pruned an apple before. Any advise other than ground
levelling is welcome & sought.
Jim in warm Toowoomba (the fire is on at the moment)

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 26-07-2008, 01:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:56:27 +1000, SG1 wrote:

We have an apple tree with a few main stems and a few suckers (soon to go).
My aim is to make the tree fan shaped, with only one stem and a darn sight
less branches than now.
My problem I have never pruned an apple before. Any advise other than ground
levelling is welcome & sought.
Jim in warm Toowoomba (the fire is on at the moment)

Well,from what I remember of Peter cundals on Gardening Australias, you
basically brought the single main stem up a coupleof eet fron the ground,
then branched it. he was doing a cup frame, to open the middle for
sunlight (or was that other fruit.

Usually if you do a fan and want it flat you tie/stake it to a flat
serface or tellis to train it.

Old 27-07-2008, 12:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "SG1"
wrote:

We have an apple tree with a few main stems and a few suckers (soon to go).
My aim is to make the tree fan shaped, with only one stem and a darn sight
less branches than now.
My problem I have never pruned an apple before. Any advise other than ground
levelling is welcome & sought.

Try the Gardening Australia website. Which reminds me -- it's pruning time
for roses and fuchsias, and I've never pruned my fuchsia hard. Must look it
up.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 27-07-2008, 02:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message
We have an apple tree with a few main stems and a few suckers (soon to
go). My aim is to make the tree fan shaped, with only one stem and a darn
sight less branches than now.
My problem I have never pruned an apple before. Any advise other than
ground levelling is welcome & sought.
Jim in warm Toowoomba (the fire is on at the moment)

i was quite worried before i ever pruned anything, too! in fact, you'll find
it's all quite logical once you start.

you need to choose which will be the "main" stem & then you have to choose
branches or buds to be the other remaining branches. be aware that you're
normally looking for outward-facing buds to be the new branches - at any
rate when you have your shape in mind, prune down to the buds that will grow
into branches facing where you want them to grow to, & do this on every
branch. prune off everything you really don't want. voila!

you can also rub off buds growing in the wrong place - much easier than
pruning them later (same with suckers).

my best advice is to step back often & check you're making the right shape
overall! it's easy to go too far if you are micro-focussing :-)

normally, the only things you'd prune this time of year are roses & grape
vines; so unless the "rules" are different in qld, wait until early spring
is better, that way the tree will be growing again & will recover easily. at
this point, there will be flower buds too probably - not to be confused with
leaf buds. leaf buds are pointy & flower buds are round, so that is quite
simple too.
kylie

Old 27-07-2008, 12:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message

Which reminds me -- it's pruning time
for roses and fuchsias, and I've never pruned my fuchsia hard. Must look
it
up.

Only in warm climates. Roses shouldn't be pruned now in cold climates (more
like late August) and fuschias are all still tucked up under cover if they
are the more modern varieties.

Old 31-07-2008, 12:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Chookie" wrote in message

Which reminds me -- it's pruning time
for roses and fuchsias, and I've never pruned my fuchsia hard. Must look
it
up.

Only in warm climates. Roses shouldn't be pruned now in cold climates (more
like late August) and fuschias are all still tucked up under cover if they
are the more modern varieties.

Sorry -- forgot you aren't so fortunate as to live in Sydney.

Old 31-07-2008, 12:54 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Chookie" wrote in message

Which reminds me -- it's pruning time
for roses and fuchsias, and I've never pruned my fuchsia hard. Must
look
it
up.

Only in warm climates. Roses shouldn't be pruned now in cold climates
(more
like late August) and fuschias are all still tucked up under cover if
they
are the more modern varieties.

Sorry -- forgot you aren't so fortunate as to live in Sydney.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/

Do people actually live in sinney??? I thought they meerly existed!!!!!

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "SG1"
wrote:

Do people actually live in sinney??? I thought they meerly existed!!!!!

What, with our wonderful museums, galleries, the beaches, the beautiful
national parks around us, the botanical gardens, good conditions for
gardening... certainly I can live here, and live well!

The only problem is the noxious weeds infesting Macquarie Street, but those
aren't all indigenous. For example, I believe the Spiky Costa is an import
from Newcastle.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article , "SG1"

wrote:

Do people actually live in sinney??? I thought they meerly existed!!!!!

What, with our wonderful museums, galleries, the beaches, the beautiful
national parks around us, the botanical gardens, good conditions for
gardening... certainly I can live here, and live well!

The only problem is the noxious weeds infesting Macquarie Street, but
those
aren't all indigenous. For example, I believe the Spiky Costa is an
import
from Newcastle.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/

Sorry Chookie I left Newcastle in 1979 and NSW in 1980 headed north. Then
norther (Darwin) then the southern oasis (Melb) eventually found Qld again
for the last 18 years. Lived in the western subs of sinney in the 1960s.
Would not trade all that culture for the freedom that is Qld......

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 02-08-2008, 04:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 20:35:34 +1000, SG1 wrote:

Would not trade all that culture for the freedom that is Qld......

Sadly, we regularly see freedom in Qld featured on the news, where the
Qld police demonstrated they are still as stupid as the time they beat up
a monk at the train station.

Apparently he must have been a dangerous subversive as he was wearing a
brown cassock.

Otherwise, yer, Qld could be a nice place to live. all that sun is
mightily attrctive as the bones get older.