Old 29-07-2008, 07:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Sick eggplants

My eggplants grew well for a while, then they started to get this lacy
sort of dieback. They never really recovered and this would appear to
be the final stage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_f/2712262067/

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I can see no bugs,
no cocoons, no fungus. This is in Perth.

The cabbages, lettuce and broadbeans around them seem vigorous,
although the capsicum don't seem to have amounted to much.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"brucef" wrote in message
My eggplants grew well for a while, then they started to get this lacy
sort of dieback. They never really recovered and this would appear to
be the final stage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_f/2712262067/

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I can see no bugs,
no cocoons, no fungus. This is in Perth.

The cabbages, lettuce and broadbeans around them seem vigorous,
although the capsicum don't seem to have amounted to much.

Any advice appreciated.

Perth is having a cold wet winter. Eggplants like warm weather. If they can
survive to mid August when the frosts have gone they might perk up. Same
goes for your capsicums. Tomatoes are of the same family and you won't have
much success with those outside either.

Old rule with tomatoes, capsicums, eggplants and chilis don't plant until
the soil is warm enough to sit on with a bare bum.

Old 29-07-2008, 10:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Jul 29, 3:55*pm, "Loosecanon" wrote:
Perth is having a cold wet winter.

Is it really? Seems pretty mild to me. We only started using the
heater
a few weeks ago, and I have been walking around in a tshirt.

Eggplants like warm weather. If they can
survive to mid August when the frosts have gone they might perk up. Same
goes for your capsicums.

Fair enough, guess I will try again in a month or so. I really know
bugger all about gardening, but the vege patch is coming along in
spite of me.

Tomatoes are of the same family and you won't have
much success with those outside either.

What about potatoes? I was going to plant some spuds, but maybe I
should leave them a bit too?

Old rule with tomatoes, capsicums, eggplants and chilis don't plant until
the soil is warm enough to sit on with a bare bum.

Okay, I just hope nothing bites me...
Old 29-07-2008, 12:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

brucef wrote:
My eggplants grew well for a while, then they started to get this lacy
sort of dieback. They never really recovered and this would appear to
be the final stage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_f/2712262067/

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I can see no bugs,
no cocoons, no fungus. This is in Perth.

The cabbages, lettuce and broadbeans around them seem vigorous,

These are winter vegetables, so do well.

although the capsicum don't seem to have amounted to much.

Any advice appreciated.

For a start "the picture" is overexposed. Try taking the picture earlier
in the morning, wen its not so bright.

As far as eggplant diseases go, what sort of weather have you been having?
The previous answers by others cover it well.
Too cold, no grow. Youre doing well getting them to start at all. Theyre
a summer vegetable.
As far as other vegies go. Normal beans (not broad beans or scarlet
runners which are winter growing) can be started (germinate) when days
are 20 Celcius (centigrade) so are summer vegies too. Tall or dwarf.
Dwarf are great for starters as the need only minimal support. Peas
should be planted "around" now, and carrots should also be looked at.
They tend to germinate rather slowly if at all in colder weather, but
need moisture. Cucumbers (Summer) need lots of water and sunlight.

Its best if youre starting a garden, to work out the warm spots, and
plant warmth loving plants there, (tomatoes egplants peppers Zuchinis)
and keep the varieties that need cooler spots for them. (Potatoes
Silverbeet)How can you tell? Experience usually. I'm still getting to
learn about my "zones" and preferences.
Hopes that helps you a little...
Old 29-07-2008, 12:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

brucef wrote:
My eggplants grew well for a while, then they started to get this lacy
sort of dieback. They never really recovered and this would appear to
be the final stage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_f/2712262067/

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I can see no bugs,
no cocoons, no fungus. This is in Perth.

The cabbages, lettuce and broadbeans around them seem vigorous,

These are winter vegetables, so do well.
Cauliflower any one? Also Brussels sprouts need a frost to grow so it
may not be good for you there.
although the capsicum don't seem to have amounted to much.

Any advice appreciated.

For a start "the picture" is overexposed. Try taking the picture earlier
in the morning, when its not so bright.

As far as eggplant diseases go, what sort of weather have you been having?
The previous answers by others cover it well.

Too cold, no grow. Youre doing well getting them to start at all. Theyre
a summer vegetable.

As far as other vegies go. Normal beans (not broad beans or scarlet
runners which are winter growing) can be started (germinate from seeds)
when days are 20 Celcius (centigrade) and so are summer vegies too. Yo
ucan get them Tall or dwarf. Brown beauty are a great variety.
Dwarf are great for starters as the need only minimal support. The tallo
nes need less pspace but need a trellis oof some sort. Peas
should be planted "around" now, and alos need support. Carrots should
also be looked at.
They tend to germinate rather slowly if at all in colder weather, but
need moisture. Spring is probably better. Cucumbers (Summer) need lots
of water and sunlight.

Its best if youre starting a garden, to work out the warm spots, and
plant warmth loving plants there, (Cucumbers tomatoes egplants peppers
Zuchinis)
and keep the varieties that need cooler spots for them. (Potatoes
Silverbeet etc) How can you tell? Experience usually. I'm still getting to
learn about my "zones" and preferences.
Hopes that helps you a little...
Grab a Yates garden guide (over priced at $45 these days) and that will
keep you informed..

Old 29-07-2008, 12:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Jul 29, 6:38 pm, Jon wrote:
brucef wrote:
For a start "the picture" is overexposed. Try taking the picture earlier
in the morning, when its not so bright.

Yeah, it is a bit crap. The large version is a bit clearer:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/...019d819b_b.jpg

Too cold, no grow. Youre doing well getting them to start at all. Theyre
a summer vegetable.

I was following the guide on the seedling box. Guess I need to be more
skeptical.

Peas
should be planted "around" now, and alos need support.

Sounds like that will be my next attempt.

Its best if youre starting a garden, to work out the warm spots, and
plant warmth loving plants there,

I only really have the one bed. I don't think there is much
temperature variation, I just try to put the taller stuff on the
south.
Old 29-07-2008, 01:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

brucef wrote:
On Jul 29, 6:38 pm, Jon wrote:
brucef wrote:
For a start "the picture" is overexposed. Try taking the picture earlier
in the morning, when its not so bright.

Yeah, it is a bit crap. The large version is a bit clearer:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/...019d819b_b.jpg

Too cold, no grow. Youre doing well getting them to start at all. Theyre
a summer vegetable.

I was following the guide on the seedling box. Guess I need to be more
skeptical.

Dont be too worried. At least you got it worked out what sort of zone
youre in....

Peas
should be planted "around" now, and alos need support.

Sounds like that will be my next attempt.

Its best if youre starting a garden, to work out the warm spots, and
plant warmth loving plants there,

I only really have the one bed. I don't think there is much
temperature variation, I just try to put the taller stuff on the
south.

Thats the idea.. But youre already making a wind break for smaller
plants in the northern part in your garden, which will then get a break
from cold winds from there... an example of a zone...

I'm only renting my place, but having been there for ten or so years,
and find a vege garden, being seasonal is a great idea.
The flower garden is great as well, but you need to have a good lease to
put any effort or money into that.

The vege garden takes very little time except for watering and initial
setup.
Even a small garden has its hot and cold spots. Near a wall for
instance, or a water tank that exposed to the sun during the day is
enough to retain temperature to help plants which suffer from cold..

Some hothouses use a water container of sorts to keep temperatures more
stable at night.....
Brrrr. Just got the latest overnight temperature in Melbourne. My area
is in for 1 below Nasty...
Old 29-07-2008, 08:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day bruce,

yes i'd go with the "wrong season" for eggplants, also if i can make
an objective comment i would suggest you get a little more serious in
using mulch, this way you add nutrients, conserve moisture and also
keep teh soil warmer in the winter, up here on qld i manage to
overwinter our capsicums no worries, even though we do get some
frosts, got a tomato this year as well, we mulch very heavily av' 8"s,
and use the green spoilt hay type mulches.

so you may even save those plants, also suggest you cover them on the
nights when there could be a frost and uncover for the sun each day.
if you can get them through winter it will put you ahead for next
seasons fruiting. covering could be by throwing some loose hay over
them.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:04:12 -0700 (PDT), brucef
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 29-07-2008, 10:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

Yay, you love mulch dont you Len
Youre right of course.
But then I couldnt get weeds to grow and keep the misssus busy...

Old 30-07-2008, 07:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"brucef" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 3:55 pm, "Loosecanon" wrote:

Eggplants like warm weather. If they can
survive to mid August when the frosts have gone they might perk up. Same
goes for your capsicums.

Fair enough, guess I will try again in a month or so. I really know
bugger all about gardening, but the vege patch is coming along in
spite of me.

Perhps the most important thing to learn as a gardener for veggies is that
everything has a season and if you plant things out of season, you won't get
the results you would really like.

Old 30-07-2008, 09:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"brucef" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 3:55 pm, "Loosecanon" wrote:

Eggplants like warm weather. If they can
survive to mid August when the frosts have gone they might perk up. Same
goes for your capsicums.

Fair enough, guess I will try again in a month or so. I really know
bugger all about gardening, but the vege patch is coming along in
spite of me.

Perhps the most important thing to learn as a gardener for veggies is that
everything has a season and if you plant things out of season, you won't get
the results you would really like.

He got one result. He learnt what the plants didnt like.
I found people are like this too!
We learn by our mistakes...
He should move to Darwin if he want to grow these plants. (grin)
Old 30-07-2008, 10:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jon" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"brucef" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 3:55 pm, "Loosecanon" wrote:

Eggplants like warm weather. If they can
survive to mid August when the frosts have gone they might perk up.
Same
goes for your capsicums.

Fair enough, guess I will try again in a month or so. I really know
bugger all about gardening, but the vege patch is coming along in
spite of me.

Perhps the most important thing to learn as a gardener for veggies is
that everything has a season and if you plant things out of season, you
won't get the results you would really like.

He got one result. He learnt what the plants didnt like.
I found people are like this too!
We learn by our mistakes...
He should move to Darwin if he want to grow these plants. (grin)

Move! Think of the effort involved. Much better to just wait till it's
their season methinks :-))

Old 30-07-2008, 12:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"brucef" wrote in message
[...]

Moving is better.
Plants cant do it...
We are better adap ted.
Darn, thats the gypsy in me!
Old 30-07-2008, 09:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:30:11 +1000, Jon wrote:

Yay, you love mulch dont you Len
Youre right of course.
But then I couldnt get weeds to grow and keep the misssus busy...

lol lol many other ways to keep her busy hey chuckle.

Old 31-07-2008, 07:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Jul 30, 2:04 am, len gardener wrote:
so you may even save those plants, also suggest you cover them on the
nights when there could be a frost and uncover for the sun each day.

Do we get frost here? Average min temp is about 8C. Wouldn't it need
to get down to 0C for a frost?