Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What I am doing, Poisoning termite nest

I've been to Mitre 10 & Bunnings and dispaired at the pathetic
offerings.

Bunnings had some liquid from http://www.davidgray.com.au being
Bifennthinn (?) being $70 for 1L with gave 10L when mixed and wouldtreat
2m**3 of soil.

Mitre 10 had a similar liquid from the same at about half the
price.

The problem was one only talked about dipping fabric and all sorts of
other insects. It was only when I found the missing instructions at
Bungles and read through four pages that it was clear how to treat
termites; aka it doesn't it is just a barrier system and I'd need to drill
holes in the soil ever 150mm (6"). blah. i could see me ending up with not
much change out of $1,000 and goodness knows what drill bit you used or
what it would do to the drill.

Instead, I finally managed 9after walking the length and bredth almost
twice) to find someone (an older person, YEAH) who knew what creosote was,
but though they didn't have it but an alternative and that it might be in
aisle 45 (mutter walked up aisle 46 didn't I). Finally, after much
standing and thunking, managed to spot something that wasn't obviously
paint and it turned out to be a "safe creosote". Purchased a 10L drum for
$120. now all I need to do is use it.

Yes, it isn't a poison to kill off the nest, but it seems no such thing is
available retail. aka, they only sell usless crap incase some idiot lets
their children drink it.

Even the cousin on the farm doesn't have anything much these days. Did
light his suggestion of dropping a load of coals on a nest, although he
did warm that you could come back to a hole 2' deep and across in a few
weeks.

Thanks for the post on the termite trap. I have seen it before, but
forgotten about it. His system looks to be about 4200 for detector and
$175 for poison baits. there are other systems around. his conference
paper is interesing.

I'm going to build my own from 90mm pipe. Lol, I'll
use a bottle cutter that recently featured on ABC collectors as a mystery
object to make the clear tops from old bottles. The catch is going to be
getting an arsenic poison in powder form.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Poisoning termite nest

terryc wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:42:36 +1000, Jon wrote:

No No, dont bait the dwarves....Theyre cute.
There's one that lives near me he's got the biggest darn dog ever.
I reckon he could ride it. I reckon you 'd come of second best in a
fight. (with the dog that is)

Mastiff?
They rival a small horse in size.

Al I know is that I walk on one side of the road when I see him coming.
He walks where he likes. Great protection..

Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:48:00 +1000, Jon wrote:

Al I know is that I walk on one side of the road when I see him coming.
He walks where he likes. Great protection..

Naah, the bigger the dog, the friendlier they are. Its the little
neurotic yappers that youhave to watch.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:48:00 +1000, Jon wrote:

Al I know is that I walk on one side of the road when I see him coming.
He walks where he likes. Great protection..

Naah, the bigger the dog, the friendlier they are. Its the little
neurotic yappers that youhave to watch.

Well you try tell the dwarf that...He's the neurotic one...
Old 12-08-2008, 02:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:20:08 +1000, Jon wrote:

Well you try tell the dwarf that...He's the neurotic one...

Hope the dog s the intelligent one.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:20:08 +1000, Jon wrote:

Well you try tell the dwarf that...He's the neurotic one...

Hope the dog s the intelligent one.

Otherwise the situation couldnt work I guess.
Being small the dwarf would have reason to be neurotic.
Maybe thats why he got the dog..
I'm not game to ask if he wants to buy a saddle.
Old 14-08-2008, 02:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

mulligrub wrote:

What do people use to poison termites?

Prevention is one option.
Feed them their favorite food, cellulose.
Set aside a small plot away from the home
near the boundary of the lot.
Lay down two logs of natural timber of at least
25KGs each, a softwood and a hardwood.
Provide a water point nearby using metal pipe
and a ground soak.
Inspect every 3 months to determine the best tucker.
Keep feeding them the favorite as the wood is consumed.
Provide shade in summer for ambient above 27 degrees
Celsius.
Happy termites eat and live at home.

Yipes, when they run out of wood they lbe coming fur ya!
There s a lot to be said for making the house from steel these days.
Corrugated iron with insulation. The pioneers had it right...
Old 14-08-2008, 03:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:30:31 +1000, mulligrub wrote:

What do people use to poison termites?

Prevention is one option.
Feed them their favorite food, cellulose.

Feeding termitesis like feeding pets.
Pets grow and similarly, so does the size of the termite nest.
Sounds like keeping a tiger quite by feeding it.

Unfortunately, these termites are like humans, just excess to the needs of
the planet. {:-).
Old 14-08-2008, 03:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:30:31 +1000, mulligrub wrote:

What do people use to poison termites?

Prevention is one option.
Feed them their favorite food, cellulose.

Feeding termitesis like feeding pets.
Pets grow and similarly, so does the size of the termite nest.
Sounds like keeping a tiger quite by feeding it.

Unfortunately, these termites are like humans, just excess to the needs of
the planet. {:-).

Youre making me feel quite underwhelmed.
I reckon we should say some other humans.
We keep reading hearing about others that look like humans
but act like fireants
Old 14-08-2008, 08:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:54:01 +1000, Jon wrote:

snipped
Yipes, when they run out of wood they lbe coming fur ya!
There s a lot to be said for making the house from steel these days.
Corrugated iron with insulation. The pioneers had it right...

you should check the home we built jon, fits that catagory termite
resistant as well as fire resistant and warms itself in winter and
cools in summer.

but yes with the termites provide them a feeding station and keep it
well stocked an old preventative i learnt up rocky way many moons ago,
we did it had a home with wooden stumps never got termites. they like
the soft woods and plaster wall sheeting.
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 16-08-2008, 04:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc writes:
Feeding termitesis like feeding pets.
Pets grow and similarly, so does the size of the termite nest.
Sounds like keeping a tiger quite by feeding it.

Termites are natural mathematicians. They first multiply, then
they divide. :-)

To perform these calculations, they use drum roll logarithms.

Unfortunately, these termites are like humans, just excess to the needs of
the planet. {:-).

Tell that to Ernie the Echidna!
Old 16-08-2008, 04:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:02:56 +0200, John Savage wrote:

Tell that to Ernie the Echidna!

Do you know his email address?

The last one through here was almost two decades ago.

Old 17-08-2008, 06:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc writes:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:02:56 +0200, John Savage wrote:

Tell that to Ernie the Echidna!

Do you know his email address?

Sorry, but Ernie doesn't do email. Echidna communication has
not evolved beyond the quill (and ink).

The last one through here was almost two decades ago.

But is there any lunch there to attract them?

That Termite Question Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 4 26-01-2007 02:27 PM
Termite Advice TLR Texas 2 20-12-2006 02:43 PM
Termite-proofing redgum? Pat Australia 15 13-08-2006 09:22 AM
Poisoning snails - poisoning birds? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 31 10-04-2004 06:04 PM
Where can I buy termite poisons in Qld? ling Australia 3 20-07-2003 09:32 AM