Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default killing off IVY

Hi..
need to kill off IVY (the weedy thing, not a person).
Other established trees around it.
What is the best way .... don't want to really try digging it out...
Have on objection to chemicals :-)
Thanks
tony

Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

Tangy wrote:
Hi..
need to kill off IVY (the weedy thing, not a person).
Other established trees around it.
What is the best way .... don't want to really try digging it out...
Have on objection to chemicals :-)
Thanks
tony

Your first objection should be the Ivy.
Its known to cause major allergic reactions removing it by hand, and
poisoning the thing would be best way and only to get rid of it. Dont
bother spraying it though.
Get a dab on applicator from Bunnings or garden nursery.
The idea is to use secateurs , cut a piece about a foot above ground
level, then quickly dab it with Zero or Roundup. Apparently the sap
sucks it back into the vine itself when cut, but you have to dab it on
inside 3 seconds for it to be effective in sucking the poison into the vine.
Otherwise it wont work.
This is only advice I heard on out local radio station, I have yet tto
try it myself.
Spraying the stuff on only makes it laugh at you...
I used top strenght and also applied detergent to make it stick "No way"
it said.

My next door neighbor got pretty ill trying to remove it by hand and
will probably keep his allergy. But funny enough not all people suffer
immediately from the allergic reaction, but after then it can become
severe.

Yep its ivy I'm writing about not poison ivy....
Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

--

repeated doses of boiling water doesn't do it much good
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

faeychild wrote:
Tangy wrote:

Hi..
need to kill off IVY (the weedy thing, not a person).
Other established trees around it.
What is the best way .... don't want to really try digging it out...
Have on objection to chemicals :-)
Thanks
tony

--

repeated doses of boiling water doesn't do it much good

A blowtorch then. Wonder though if both these methods are not more
dangerous....than dabbing the vine with Zero?
Old 13-08-2008, 02:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jon" wrote in message
faeychild wrote:
Tangy wrote:

Hi..
need to kill off IVY (the weedy thing, not a person).
Other established trees around it.
What is the best way .... don't want to really try digging it out...
Have on objection to chemicals :-)
Thanks
tony

--

repeated doses of boiling water doesn't do it much good

A blowtorch then. Wonder though if both these methods are not more
dangerous....than dabbing the vine with Zero?

Zero doesn't work, it's far too weak. I've foudn it only knocks it back for
a while and it then starts off again. I've been trying to eradicate a huge
wad of from a large bed for at least 10 years and the only thing that seems
to work is tree and blackberry poison which has 50g/L TRICLOPYR present as
Butoxyethanol Ester.

Old 13-08-2008, 02:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Zero doesn't work, it's far too weak. I've foudn it only knocks it back for
a while and it then starts off again. I've been trying to eradicate a huge
wad of from a large bed for at least 10 years and the only thing that seems
to work is tree and blackberry poison which has 50g/L TRICLOPYR present as
Butoxyethanol Ester.

I was writing about cut and dab on cut part within 5 seconds, as it then
sucks it into the plant..
Did you try spray as well as me?
Haven't tried it myself, and using soep as a surfactant doesnt seem to
make much more difference.
I will try it again this month, while the saps flowing.
Old 14-08-2008, 09:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

Zero doesn't work, it's far too weak. I've foudn it only knocks it back
for a while and it then starts off again. I've been trying to eradicate
a huge wad of from a large bed for at least 10 years and the only thing
that seems to work is tree and blackberry poison which has 50g/L
TRICLOPYR present as Butoxyethanol Ester.

I was writing about cut and dab on cut part within 5 seconds, as it then
sucks it into the plant..
Did you try spray as well as me?
Haven't tried it myself, and using soep as a surfactant doesnt seem to
make much more difference.
I will try it again this month, while the saps flowing.

I tried spraying it with both a soap and metho added to try to get through
the waxy coating. I also tried dabbing this mix on cuts too, although I
couldn't vouch for it getting on a cut within a 5 second time frame. The
blackberry and tree killer does work but it also takes a fair amount of time
and I mix it at a higher dose rate than is recommended. Trouble is, the
patch is so big that I can't do the whole sodding lot at one go and by the
time I get back to it, a lot of it has regrown. There are certainly
disadvantages to having such a big garden.........

Old 14-08-2008, 09:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

[...]

I reckon a goat may the the way to tackle this..
I'm for the goat method..
Actually, with all the new migrants coming over, we should buy shares in
any company which is involved with "goateries"
Old 21-08-2008, 06:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jon
I reckon a goat may the the way to tackle this..
I'm for the goat method..
Actually, with all the new migrants coming over, we should buy shares in
any company which is involved with "goateries"

As kids we had a few pet sheep. They all loved ivy (and pumpkin vines,
potato plants, passion vine, honey suckle, orange trumpet flowers,
dandelions, etc., etc.) In short, most flowers and anything with green
leaves!

Alas, if you read pastoral journals you will see that ivy is regarded as
carcinogenic, the likely cause of stomach cancer in stock that feed on it.

Speaking of sheep ... if you watch a sheep grazing you will see why the
wild sorrel in fields is known as sheep sorrel. Sheep can't walk past
a blade of it without snipping it off.
Old 30-08-2008, 04:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
Zero doesn't work, it's far too weak. I've foudn it only knocks

it back
for a while and it then starts off again. I've been trying to

eradicate
a huge wad of from a large bed for at least 10 years and the

only thing
that seems to work is tree and blackberry poison which has 50g/L
TRICLOPYR present as Butoxyethanol Ester.

I second this. Zero is a waste of time. Spraying the leaves is a
waste of time.

Wear a mask and long sleeves. Shower afterwards.

Cut the ivy back to about 30cm stalks above the ground. Paint the
stalks with tree/blackberry killer. If any more pops up, paint it too.

Be prepared to do it 2-3 times at 6 month intervals.

I *hate* ivy, but at least it composts OK.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia

Old 20-10-2008, 10:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"Andrew Gabb" wrote in message
I *hate* ivy, but at least it composts OK.

Does Ivy compost easily? The strong ivy runners surely must be hard to
decompose?

Old 22-10-2008, 08:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"YMC" wrote:

"Andrew Gabb" wrote in message
I *hate* ivy, but at least it composts OK.

Does Ivy compost easily? The strong ivy runners surely must be hard to
decompose?

Hah. MOre like they'd start sprouting in your heap.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"YMC" wrote:

"Andrew Gabb" wrote in message

I *hate* ivy, but at least it composts OK.

Does Ivy compost easily? The strong ivy runners surely must be hard to
decompose?

Hah. MOre like they'd start sprouting in your heap.

Not in my heap. I compost anything up to about 10 mm.

And I haven't had any ivy coming up in my garden.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia
phone: +61 8 8342-1021
-----

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Killing Ivy Colin Gardening 26 11-02-2011 04:34 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM
Killing Ivy Pioden United Kingdom 4 09-06-2005 07:32 PM