GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   seed potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/177976-seed-potatoes.html)

k 20-08-2008 12:42 AM

seed potatoes

where in wa (south metro) can i buy seed potatoes

Liam 20-08-2008 12:51 AM

seed potatoes

"k" wrote in message
where in wa (south metro) can i buy seed potatoes

Nurseries like Dawsons, Waldecks etc. Even Bunnings if you're desperate.

Liam.

k 20-08-2008 01:57 AM

seed potatoes

thank for that i already tryed bunning$ but thay are out of stock at
spearwood ill try dawsons ;-)

Ivan 28-08-2008 02:38 AM

seed potatoes

"Liam" wrote in message

"k" wrote in message
where in wa (south metro) can i buy seed potatoes

Nurseries like Dawsons, Waldecks etc. *Even Bunnings if you're desperate.

Liam.- Hide quoted text -

I bought some from Bunnings last weekend and they seemed to be of
decent quality ....
Whilst some of them really really small, some of them were decent, and
we'll see over the next couple of weeks whether something comes up..

John Savage 03-09-2008 06:47 AM

seed potatoes

Ivan writes:
I bought some from Bunnings last weekend and they seemed to be of
decent quality ....
Whilst some of them really really small, some of them were decent, and
we'll see over the next couple of weeks whether something comes up..

While it's tempting to select big seed potatoes in the hope they'll
give plants that produce big potatoes, it is a fallacy. On ABC's
Landline some years ago they dealt with an Australian grower who
was set to make millions of dollars after developing a secret
technique for growing small seed potatoes. Apparently this is the
holy grail of the big spud growers: why pay for 100 tonnes of seed
potatoes when 10 tonnes of the tiny taters will do identically well?
It's the genetics within the seed potato that determine the size
of the crop, and today's seed potatoes are deliberately grown to
be small even though the resulting crop will be of large sized tubers.

So don't discard your small seed potatoes.