Old 21-08-2008, 12:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default lettuce seeds

Hi all,

I've recently planted some lettuce seeds in the hopes of them
sprouting into lovely plants ..
Perhaps I'm a little anxious, but the seeds have not yet sprouted and
I'm worried it might be a bit too cold for them at the moment ..
I've been keeping the growing medium moist and have kept them outside
but undercover, away from the rain..

In Melbourne we've been having 10-12 degree days so I'm thinking that
might be the reason I've not seen any lettuce action as yet ..

Can someone suggest whether they'll eventually come up, or I should
just wait for the days to get warmer before trying this again?

Thanks!
Old 21-08-2008, 03:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ivan wrote:

Hi all,

I've recently planted some lettuce seeds in the hopes of them
sprouting into lovely plants ..
Perhaps I'm a little anxious, but the seeds have not yet sprouted and
I'm worried it might be a bit too cold for them at the moment ..
I've been keeping the growing medium moist and have kept them outside
but undercover, away from the rain..

In Melbourne we've been having 10-12 degree days so I'm thinking that
might be the reason I've not seen any lettuce action as yet ..

Can someone suggest whether they'll eventually come up, or I should
just wait for the days to get warmer before trying this again?

Thanks!

It seems to take weeks for anything to sprout.
I have never grown anything before except the wheat on the wet cotton wool
experiment. And I remember that was very fast.
Someone told me that cereals are very quick to germinate.

--
faeychild
Old 21-08-2008, 05:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:17:19 -0700 (PDT), Ivan wrote:

I've recently planted some lettuce seeds in the hopes of them
sprouting into lovely plants ..
Perhaps I'm a little anxious, but the seeds have not yet sprouted and
I'm worried it might be a bit too cold for them at the moment ..
I've been keeping the growing medium moist and have kept them outside
but undercover, away from the rain..

In Melbourne we've been having 10-12 degree days so I'm thinking that
might be the reason I've not seen any lettuce action as yet ..
[...]

They'll pop up soon, I'd guess. Mine took some couple of weeks, in the
middle of winter - i.e. with night temperatures in single figures and
daytime temps in the low teens. Maybe not as cold or miserable as
Melbourne, but lettuce is a winter / cold weather crop so don't worry.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed." - Gandhi
Old 21-08-2008, 01:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Ivan" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've recently planted some lettuce seeds in the hopes of them
sprouting into lovely plants ..
Perhaps I'm a little anxious, but the seeds have not yet sprouted and
I'm worried it might be a bit too cold for them at the moment ..
I've been keeping the growing medium moist and have kept them outside
but undercover, away from the rain..

In Melbourne we've been having 10-12 degree days so I'm thinking that
might be the reason I've not seen any lettuce action as yet ..

Can someone suggest whether they'll eventually come up, or I should
just wait for the days to get warmer before trying this again?

Thanks!

Lettuce do quite OK in cooler weather it may take some time.

David

Old 22-08-2008, 04:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Aug 22, 6:15*am, mulligrub ] wrote:
Ivan wrote:

Hi all,

I've recently planted some lettuce seeds in the hopes of them
sprouting into lovely plants ..
Perhaps I'm a little anxious, but the seeds have not yet sprouted and
I'm worried it might be a bit too cold for them at the moment ..
I've been keeping the growing medium moist and have kept them outside
but undercover, away from the rain..

In Melbourne we've been having 10-12 degree days so I'm thinking that
might be the reason I've not seen any lettuce action as yet ..

Can someone suggest whether they'll eventually come up, or I should
just wait for the days to get warmer before trying this again?

Thanks!

Just last weekend I did this for the first time in many years, mainly to see
if the hybrid lettuce I bought would germinate something from seed.
I will report back when I see green. Perfect growing weather so the
results should be forthcoming within a week or so,

--

* * ()-().----. '. * ' * *' *. ' .. '. ^/

Hi there!

Just to pop by and leave some recent discoveries:
I looked closely into my growing medium and found that the seeds have
recently sprouted a small root-like thing.

I'm hoping to see more action over the next few days, but at least I
can be assured that the seeds aren't dead.

I'm growing this for the first time on a home-made hydroponic system,
so I was a little nervous.

I'll post with more news and pictures, if I take them!

Old 22-08-2008, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens

"faeychild" wrote in message

It seems to take weeks for anything to sprout.
I have never grown anything before except the wheat on the wet cotton wool
experiment. And I remember that was very fast.
Someone told me that cereals are very quick to germinate.

Try some rocket. At this time of the year it comes up quick and gives one
encouragement. I put in some a couple of weeks ago and they were up in
about5-7 days.

Old 28-08-2008, 02:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Aug 21, 9:17*am, Ivan wrote:
Hi all,

I've recently planted some lettuce seeds in the hopes of them
sprouting into lovely plants ..
Perhaps I'm a little anxious, but the seeds have not yet sprouted and
I'm worried it might be a bit too cold for them at the moment ..
I've been keeping the growing medium moist and have kept them outside
but undercover, away from the rain..

In Melbourne we've been having 10-12 degree days so I'm thinking that
might be the reason I've not seen any lettuce action as yet ..

Can someone suggest whether they'll eventually come up, or I should
just wait for the days to get warmer before trying this again?

Thanks!

They're alive!!

They say that watching paint dry is tedious.
Watching grass grow, apparently worse.

Well, watching these lettuce germinate was high up in the list!!

Anyway, after a painful two weeks of minimal action, I came home from
work the other day, and there are about twenty little sprouts in each
cup that the lettuce are growing in.

I'm thinking perhaps I put too many seeds on each. hehe
We'll see how it goes once they start growing properly.

Anyway, I'm so relieved that they're growing!

In other cups a
Chives
Basil
Oregano
Rocket
Raddish

Pictures coming soon to those interested!
Old 28-08-2008, 09:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

"faeychild" wrote in message

It seems to take weeks for anything to sprout.
I have never grown anything before except the wheat on the wet cotton wool
experiment. And I remember that was very fast.
Someone told me that cereals are very quick to germinate.

Try some rocket. At this time of the year it comes up quick and gives one
encouragement. I put in some a couple of weeks ago and they were up in
about5-7 days.

I have gone for silver beet, the green one and a multicoloured variety and
onions. Some are sprouting :-)

--
faeychild
Old 28-08-2008, 10:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"faeychild" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

"faeychild" wrote in message

It seems to take weeks for anything to sprout.
I have never grown anything before except the wheat on the wet cotton
wool
experiment. And I remember that was very fast.
Someone told me that cereals are very quick to germinate.

Try some rocket. At this time of the year it comes up quick and gives
one
encouragement. I put in some a couple of weeks ago and they were up in
about5-7 days.

I have gone for silver beet, the green one and a multicoloured variety and
onions. Some are sprouting :-)

--
faeychild

I always grow silver beet cabbage & caulis during winter/spring. That way I
have some goodies during winter.

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 28-08-2008, 11:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Ivan wrote:

[...]

You said "They're alive!!"
Having read your post I grabbed a torch and went and checked
for progress. Lo and behold, around 90% strike at maybe 12mm
out of the mulch with just two oval leaves like maybe 4mm in length.
Looks like lettuce to me, and in the row like little soldiers as I had
spread the seed. If I get time tomorrow I will plant some out into a bed.
The parent plant still has plenty of heads to harvest and sow.

Heads up for you?
dlmt recognition in Netscape is broken for you.
No idea on how you fix this error but you should not see any of my
sig when you do "reply" or "follow up".

Maybe there is a hint in the "hide quoted text" or "show quoted text"
function toggles?
Use aus.computers for help to sort this out, if that helps

--

** * ()-().----. '. * ' * *' *. ' .. '. ^/

Hey hey!

It's all happening..
Two days after the first sprouts appeared, I'm getting a serious
increase in growth!

I've also planted some potatoes in the back yard ------ Nothing coming
up yet.
In fact, they've not even sprouted.

I'm hoping something will happen soon.. :S

Perhaps bunnings seed potatoes weren't as good as I had hoped for them
to be.

Old 29-08-2008, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Ivan" wrote in message
Hey hey!

It's all happening..
Two days after the first sprouts appeared, I'm getting a serious
increase in growth!

I've also planted some potatoes in the back yard ------ Nothing coming
up yet.
In fact, they've not even sprouted.

I'm hoping something will happen soon.. :S

Perhaps bunnings seed potatoes weren't as good as I had hoped for them
to be.

-
not to restart our habitual "bunnings sucks" argument again g but possibly
they're not so good. ;-)

however, 1: bunnings didn't grow them, they only sell them and 2: it takes
ages for them to come up & out of the dirt (up to 2 months ime). after that,
though, they go like the clappers.

you can chit them first indoors to save time waiting once they go outdoors,
but effectively there is no difference in actual time, of course.

it's too cold at my place to put taties in yet. you're lucky.
kylie

Old 29-08-2008, 07:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Ivan" wrote in message
On Aug 21, 9:17 am, Ivan wrote:

I've recently planted some lettuce seeds in the hopes of them
sprouting into lovely plants ..
Perhaps I'm a little anxious, but the seeds have not yet sprouted

They're alive!!
__________________

Cangratulations! All that pacing and smoking and drinking coffee and the
babies came all by themselves :-))

Next time you won't be such an overanxious parent.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ivan writes:
I've also planted some potatoes in the back yard ------ Nothing coming
up yet.
In fact, they've not even sprouted.

You planted seed potatoes without shoots? That is not recommended.
I'm not sure that you can depend on them all developing shoots while
underground.

I'm hoping something will happen soon.. :S

You may find that only a few turn into plants, and the others might
just stay dormant. It might be better to dig them up and keep them
until they have developed some shoots before replanting. Are they
not even showing swollen eyes?

What do other readers think?

Perhaps bunnings seed potatoes weren't as good as I had hoped for them
to be.

Taters are taters. They'll all grow, provided you wait till they've
developed shoots before planting.

I suggest that you don't follow the folklore of cutting larger seed
potatoes into a few pieces. This makes them much more vulnerable to
fungal attack, even after you've let the cut dry over. It is false
economy. Buy smaller seed potatoes, and plant them whole, and almost
even one should emerge.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sep 3, 3:47*pm, John Savage wrote:
Ivan writes:
[...]

John Savage * * * * * * * *(my news address is not valid for email)

Hi there..
Thank you kindly for your advise!
How would you recommend I'd encourage the potatoes to grow shoots?
As this is my first time planting these, I'm not sure what to do!

I did, however, plant them whole, and not cut them up .... Even though
it was recommended I do so by many sourses..
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
Ivan writes:
I've also planted some potatoes in the back yard ------ Nothing coming
up yet.
In fact, they've not even sprouted.

You planted seed potatoes without shoots? That is not recommended.
I'm not sure that you can depend on them all developing shoots while
underground.

i promise you, they do :-)

that's how you end up with volunteers everywhere - it's how they grow
naturally. chitting them first just makes it faster to show green (so you
feel better) and (presumably) reduces any risk of rotting while dormant.
kylie

Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (1/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 2 17-01-2018 04:48 PM
Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (0/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 08:10 PM
Newly germinated rocket lettuce seeds SandyAtkins Edible Gardening 1 14-07-2010 01:44 PM
Lettuce seeds Mike Edible Gardening 8 01-05-2009 11:49 PM
Winter Density lettuce seeds not germinating at all Chris United Kingdom 31 21-10-2005 11:10 AM