Old 23-08-2008, 12:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default organic garden spray

hi
I as wondering if anyone had a recipe for organic
garden spray.
I have beautiful organic vege garden beds but
the white butterfly are starting to come about.
hoping someone can help me
cheers
Nancy

Old 24-08-2008, 04:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Nancy" wrote in message

I as wondering if anyone had a recipe for organic
garden spray.
I have beautiful organic vege garden beds but
the white butterfly are starting to come about.
hoping someone can help me
cheers

There are a couple of ways to deal with them.
1) They are territorial and I have had good success rates by cutting out
fake cabbage butterflys from a 2 litre milk carton, utting a black dot on
then with texta and then putting them on sate sticks on the top of bamboo
canes amongst my crucifer plants.
2) catch a few of the moths (or later the catepillars) and mash them up,
leave to ferment for a couple of days, mix with water, then spray the plants
with the mix.

Old 24-08-2008, 06:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Nancy" wrote in message
. au...
hi
I as wondering if anyone had a recipe for organic
garden spray.
I have beautiful organic vege garden beds but
the white butterfly are starting to come about.
hoping someone can help me
cheers
Nancy

If the damage is caused by the grubs from the butterfly then BT (Dipel) will
deal with them.

David

Old 31-08-2008, 03:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 19:13:59 +0800, Nancy wrote:

hi
I as wondering if anyone had a recipe for organic
garden spray.
I have beautiful organic vege garden beds but
the white butterfly are starting to come about.
hoping someone can help me

On ABC Gardening australia today they suggests a spray of chillies and
soapflakes for the cabbage white butterfly grubs.

Finally found a use for all those chillies.
Now to find soap flakes.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message

Finally found a use for all those chillies.
Now to find soap flakes.

If you can't find Lux Flakes then you could always grate up some Sunlight
soap.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Soap flakes.
I just use the green soap water after hand washing.
Does the same thing, but you have to get up a lather....then mix it.
Why anyone would want to make a salad by using pepper for grubs is
beyond me though. The soap would help wash their tiny mouths out, after
the hot peppers makes them swear...
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

In an earlier reply I wrote:

"Nancy" writes:
hi
I as wondering if anyone had a recipe for organic
garden spray.
I have beautiful organic vege garden beds but
the white butterfly are starting to come about.
hoping someone can help me

For butterfly larvae, I'd have thought the bacterial spray Dipel
would be ideal. No chemicals, just a bacteria that makes these types
of caterpillars very sick. The same type of spray is marketed under
another brand name. Maybe someone can remind us?

I have been reminded. Yates market theirs as "Success".