Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Compost Worms

Where's the best place to buy compost worms? Bunnings etc?

What sort should I get?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

where ever you can get them at a good price ymc,

do for red wrigglers or tigers the night crawlers are that by name and
nature.

if you knew someone with a worm farm you could get some from them.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 18:29:48 +1000, "YMC"
wrote:

Where's the best place to buy compost worms? Bunnings etc?

What sort should I get?

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 18:29:48 +1000, "YMC" wrote:

Where's the best place to buy compost worms? Bunnings etc?

What sort should I get?

Where are you?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

These people will send you all the worms you want.
I dont think I want worms.
I had to take some awful medicine to get rid of them.

Link
http://tinyurl.com/69mpvy
Old 07-09-2008, 03:24 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"len gardener" wrote in message
where ever you can get them at a good price ymc,

do for red wrigglers or tigers the night crawlers are that by name and
nature.

if you knew someone with a worm farm you could get some from them.

Thanks. I'm living in Warrandyte. Victoria. I think I'll just swing around
to Bunnings and get a bucket. But it cost about $59 for a 1000+ compost worm
bucket.

My hesistation is cos in the past I used to buy the worms and find them gone
into about a years time.

Then I realize its cos the compost piles are in direct sun. And during
Summer the worms die. So I relocated the bins to a shady spot.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

$45 delivered from Worm farm! Why go to Bunnings?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message

You are using compost piles and your compost isn't in compost bins?

Pardon. I have a compost pile and a compost bin in the sunny spot.

I've got a fairly large garden - and a large nature strip lawn area to
cover.

Ideally I should have 6 compost bins.

If so you would not be able to keep the piles sufficiently moist enough
for compost worms to survive particularly if in the full sun.

Point taken. But can the compost piles work if I put a tarpulin plastic
sheet over it?

I have the conventional worm farms in shady spots but I have also
established compost worms in two compost bins one of which is shaded,
the other is in the full sun and worms have survived in both for several
years so far.

Hmmm... I'm in Victoria - the black compost bins turn super hot in Summer
when the temperatures hit 30+. I've found the worms scrambling to the top
rim of the lid cover during that time. They can't come out and they die.

The phenonmenon only occurs during Summer. During Winter, the worms are very
happy campers.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
That would probably work OK since the piles are in the shade and the
plastic tarpaulin would probably stop a lot of evaporation.

The compost pile heaps is in the sunny spot, due to the layout of the
garden... mmm... come to think of it - it may get pretty dry. But I think
what I'll do is to place a tarpulin over it and underneath wet newspaper...

perhaps another problem is that the area gets a fair bit of black ant
activity during summer and I suspect they would be attacking and eating the
worms.

I'll see how I go over the Summer and try your advice.

I'm in Victoria also. During the summer I check both compost bins daily
and add a bucket of water when I think the compost is starting to dry
out too much. When I add vegetable peelings, garden cuttings or lawn
clippings etc. I cover them with three or four sheets of wet newspaper
to help keep the bins moist inside.

I don't immediately add large quantities of new garden cuttings or fresh
lawn clippings to my compost because of the heat generated, I prefer to
store cuttings and clippings on its own for two or three weeks before
adding it to my compost bins/worm farms.

You seem to have the right idea there. I usually put in raw lawn clippings
into my compost bins. And that would probably increase the temp a fair bit.

I've relocated my black compost bins in the shady spot - and will house the
compost worms there in the safety of the shade. The compost piles however,
are exposed to full sun and a West facing brick wall. And there's not much I
can do about it - due to the garden layout.

Lets' see how it goes over the summer period. I'll get back to the forum
again.

Old 22-09-2008, 02:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Has anyone used the company "worms downunder"?

$99 delivered for 4000 worms. Seems a pretty good deal.

http://www.wormsdownunder.com.au/wor...timonials.html

"Jon" wrote in message
u...
$45 delivered from Worm farm! Why go to Bunnings?