Old 08-09-2008, 12:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Damn aphids!

Hi all
I am at my wits end with trying to destroy aphids, you name it I have tried
it, when I think I have them all gone next day there is another infestation.
My guess is it is the time of the year & shortly they will disappear. I am
in Perth West Aust.
What a great day it was today, it brought the rotten little suckers out on
my roses, I am becoming obsessed with them.
cheers
Sandra

Old 08-09-2008, 07:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day sandra,

anyhow roses?? ok look for the ants hey, they will be there so target
the ants as in get them to move on whatever and then the aphids wil
die out, or once the ants ahve gone they can be knocked off the um
roses with s trong spray not jet of water.

you could also try applying a layer of vaseline around the trunk near
the base so the ants can't climb up the plant, be sure the plant
touches nothing else or they will find that route. there is some
product yo can buy for this purpose one is a tape the other a gel that
orchadists use.

other than that they realy won't do that much damage.

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 19:24:01 +0800, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 09-09-2008, 03:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

Thanks for the vaseline idea, Len! Now why didn't *I* think of that!
It's brilliant!

Another good way of knocking off aphids is a cheap one-inch paintbrush.
You have to have the patience of a saint, but it's worth it to finally
see healthy new shoots on your roses!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day trish,

there is also a particular lady beetle that eats them or their larva.

good if you can attarct them into the yard, but stop the ants theya re
the main culpret just applied some vaso' to a citrus boy were the ants
surprised expect to see the aphids deminish now.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered User

Location: australia

The vaseline idea is fine IF the aphis are being transported to the plant by ants. I doubt this is the case with your roses, most likely the females have flown in. Aphis reproduction is truly phenomenal and entire colonies can be replaced overnight. There are two very easy ways to get rid of them; blast them with the hose, they cannot crawl back, nor up the stems; buy a "systemic" insecticide. This is taken up by the roots, therefore cannot be made redundant by the weather. Take note: aphis are apart of gardening life, and cannot be eradicated.
Kind Regards Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Brown View Post

Old 14-09-2008, 04:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandra Bodycoat" writes:
I am at my wits end with trying to destroy aphids, you name it I have tried

One part methylated spirits + 4 parts water
spray onto the tender tips of roses and citrus, etc., where the
aphids gather. The aphids die instantly. If you wish them to be out
of sight, you can hose the corpses away after 10 mins. I have been
surprised to see others don't move in to take their place, though YMMV.

I have not found it to harm any plants, but to be cautious test it
on one branch to start with and wait for a couple of days.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Damn aphids! Solution?

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
Hi all
I am at my wits end with trying to destroy aphids, you name it I have
tried it, when I think I have them all gone next day there is another
infestation.
My guess is it is the time of the year & shortly they will disappear. I am
in Perth West Aust.
What a great day it was today, it brought the rotten little suckers out on
my roses, I am becoming obsessed with them.
cheers

Hello Sandra,
I used Kevin Walsh, ABC radio, receipe for controlling garden pests

He includes
1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of biodegradable liquid detergent
500ml of water

Mix the ingredients together in a small sprayer. Always shake thoroughly
before each use.
Spray around seedlings and base of plants, and under leaves to ensure spray
actually contacts the insect it is trying to control.
Use to control many garden pests including aphids, pear and cherry slug,
caterpillars, whitefly, mealybugs, etc.
Do not store made up spray. Thoroughly wash sprayer after use.

I used it for my roses - they are about 10+ years old now to control aphids.
Seems successful I use it once a week or when I see the buggers.

However, I've only tried this for about a month - have not studied the long
term effects. But so far so good. And it smells nice.

Please use this mix in the late evenings- otherwise the mixture will cause
the plant will burn in the hot sun.