GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bouganvillea/a cuttings, transplanting, etc (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/178603-bouganvillea-cuttings-transplanting-etc.html)

terryc 15-09-2008 12:34 AM

Bouganvillea/a cuttings, transplanting, etc

I'd like to relocate our two bouganvilleas from their present loction.

I'v suggested striking cuttings and planting those out,but the head
gardener says that it is virtually impossible.

Looking for similar/contrary opinions and tips ifyou have been
successfull in the past.

T.i.A.

kris anthem um 01-10-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryc (Post 815768)
I'd like to relocate our two bouganvilleas from their present loction.

I'v suggested striking cuttings and planting those out,but the head
gardener says that it is virtually impossible.

Looking for similar/contrary opinions and tips ifyou have been
successfull in the past.

T.i.A.

soft tip cuttings will strike in spring, hardwood cuttings are more difficult and prone to root rot but you should get a 2 in ten ratio to strike, the softwood cuttings are much the better option and should get u close to a 100% strike rate. if the plants are not overly large..say less than 2m tall you should be able to cut back severely and then transplant. it helps to push your spade to a depth of six inches or so all round plant and then leave for a day or two to lesses shock. hope i have been of some assistance cheers