Old 27-09-2008, 01:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default best value water tanks??

"bassett" wrote in message

This is true. You must make sure your plumbing is good, especially
polypipe joints are not as reliable as metal. As well as wasting water
and soaking somewhere you don't want soaked a leak or tap left on may
burn out the pump motor if it runs dry. My garden tank is turned off at
the valve and the motor switched off when not in use for this reason.

David

What a load of paranoid rubbish, how do you think it works for people
with only a tank water supply and a pressure pump.

The same way it does for for my 45 kl house system which is on all the time.
But the plumbing there is high pressure polymer or copper and has been
pressure tested and it is protected by the house structure. I know people
who have had exactly the problem that I described with garden and stock
systems, this is not something that I imagined. I don't know of a case
where the motor burnt out personally but my plumber advised me that it can
happen.

And a modern pressure pump is worth something like $120 , or there free
when you buy some tanks.
They don't need to be big or expensive.

For the garden no they don't need to be big or high pressure and my 10kl
system isn't. But the cheapos don't give mains pressure. I didn't say the
pressure.

So tell us , how long have you had a tank water supply.

Since I built the house.

Your playing games
with a **** arsed little tank and a garden hose.

Why go to the gym when you can get all your exercise jumping to conclusions?
Why the intemperate language? You do seem to have rather an emotional
investment in your limited experience.

You have no bloody idea.
All my solar water fittings are poly type and I,ve never had a problem.
with water pressure blow outs.

Good for you but I don't think that proves very much in this context. Have
you had a horse decide to play with your plastic fittings? They have big
teeth that can disconect a waterer that is not well shielded. I doubt the
risks outside a domestic system. Perhaps carelessly driving a stake through
a buried pipe is a more likely example.

Poly fittings are simply not as reliable as metal or the crimped sort on
high pressure tube, especially the push fit types (as opposed to nut and
olive) that are mainly used on 12, 19 and 25 mm poly pipe which are common
sizes for garden use. Some push joiners will blow out just on a low
pressure pump without outside interference unless they are also clamped.

Add together the lower reliabilty of the (most common) fittings and that
there are other hazards found out doors and there is a real risk of pumping
a tank dry due to a leak.

David

Old 27-09-2008, 01:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"bassett" wrote in message

"bassett" wrote in message

(snip) As for being thicker at the base, that's a load of bullshit, and
the guy that suggested that has no bloody idea.
How do I know all this. I've been on tank water for the last 25 years,
and all by tanks are now Poly.

What rot.

Tanks with thicker plastic at the bottom and lower part of the walls is
preferred by experienced rural dwellers as many farmers have found that
poly tanks that aren't thicker on the bottom and lower walls split.

Name a brand of tank that has a thicker wall at the base,

Bushman

David

Old 27-09-2008, 08:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

"bassett" wrote in message

"bassett" wrote in message

(snip) As for being thicker at the base, that's a load of bullshit, and
the guy that suggested that has no bloody idea.
How do I know all this. I've been on tank water for the last 25 years,
and all by tanks are now Poly.

What rot.

Tanks with thicker plastic at the bottom and lower part of the walls is
preferred by experienced rural dwellers as many farmers have found that
poly tanks that aren't thicker on the bottom and lower walls split.

Name a brand of tank that has a thicker wall at the base,

Never heard of google? I just did a quick search and Clark Tanks, Toowoomba
Plastics polytanks, Rainwater Tank Company, Action Tanks and Lifestyle tanks
were some of the ones that popped up whihc all claim that the thicker lower
walls is adds strength. and of course such a claim amkes sense given that
is where the maximum pressure would be.

And David mentioned Bushmans. I didn't see those tanks in my hunt, but it
was only a very quick and dirty google.

As for splitting
that's only likely if you attempt to move the thing while partly full, and
most of the reputable brands have a 25 year guarantee

As a number of people have already pointed out, a 25 year guarantee means
little as numerous people have found out over the years for all sorts of
reasons and for all sorts of products. And there can be multiple failures
for tanks and moving a half full tank may not be one of them.

Old 27-09-2008, 08:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

"bassett" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Pressure pumps, while giving the convenience of mains pressure, have

Mains pressure will be a big expensive pump. Cheaper ones with less than
mains pressure are OK for the garden.

a sinister side: while you are at work they can completely empty your
tank, and if you are really unlucky, dump it all onto your bathroom
floor. An advantage of placing the pressure pump where you will hear
it in operation is so that in the middle of the night you can ask
yourself, "Why is that pump going?!" and in short time discover that
someone has left a garden tap turned on.

This is true. You must make sure your plumbing is good, especially
polypipe joints are not as reliable as metal. As well as wasting water
and soaking somewhere you don't want soaked a leak or tap left on may
burn out the pump motor if it runs dry. My garden tank is turned off at
the valve and the motor switched off when not in use for this reason.

What a load of paranoid rubbish, how do you think it works for people
with only a tank water supply and a pressure pump.

I live, and have lived, with tank water supply and pressure pumps for about
4 decades. I thought that what David said made sense.

And a modern pressure pump is worth something like $120 , or there free
when you buy some tanks.
They don't need to be big or expensive.

So tell us , how long have you had a tank water supply. Your playing
games with a **** arsed little tank and a garden hose. You have no bloody
idea.

Based on my 4 decades of living with water tanks and owning 2 farms which
are both on tank water, I'd say there was nothing wrong with his advice or
comments.

All my solar water fittings are poly type and I,ve never had a problem.
with water pressure blow outs.

Lucky you. We've had lots of incidences of water loss and for various
reasons.

I've just counted how many water tanks we have on our 2 farms. We have 7.
All but one are concrete.

We have 2 tanks on the other farm (both concrete) - they gravity feed the
house and garden there. When the header tank runs low we use a fire
fighting pump to move water from the tank on the house up to the header tank
on the hill.

At this farm we have 3 concrete water tanks solely for house water. In
addition, for the garden and very occassional stock use, I have one concrete
tank and the plastic tank. These are supplied with water from a dam and a
bore.

We have 3 pressure pumps and a fire fighting pump. We've never had a
problem with the fire fighting pump but have had to replace all three
pressure pumps. We've lost 2 full tanks of house water (that I can recall)
and lost so many tanks of gardening water that I wouldn't be able to give
even a rough guesstimate of the number. Reasons include: cow eating poly
pipe, cow eating tank fitting, stock trough failure due to cow eating
fitting, stock trough failure due to stock trough fitting failure, pump
failure, multiple and differing human failures.

Shit happens.

Old 27-09-2008, 11:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
snip
[...]

Interesting thread, despite the arguing

Dare I ask about pros and cons of the various brands of pressure pumps
commonly available?

Are they all more-or-less the same or do some stand out as better (price
ranges being similar). More importantly - any to stay away from?

Cheers

Old 28-09-2008, 02:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks everyone for all the posts, looks like plastic is the way to
go, but I was asking about best value - Im on a budget of about $2000.
Want to get the biggest tanks I can get delivered for that. No pump, I
live on a slope so will gravity feed driplines.

Dynaplas seem to have a store on ebay!
delivery syd is only $95

looking at this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4350L-RAIN-WA...2.m153.l1 262
They seem to be joining 3 tanks via polypipe to make up 4350l of
storage. Splitting storage into 3 tanks must be easier to
install and handle but wondering if there is a disadvantage.

sellers store http://stores.ebay.com.au/yourippa-Truck-4wd-car-van

thanks
George
Old 28-09-2008, 04:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

"tuppy" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for all the posts, looks like plastic is the way to
go, but I was asking about best value - Im on a budget of about $2000.
Want to get the biggest tanks I can get delivered for that. No pump, I
live on a slope so will gravity feed driplines.

Dynaplas seem to have a store on ebay!
delivery syd is only $95

looking at this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4350L-RAIN-WA...2.m153.l1 262
They seem to be joining 3 tanks via polypipe to make up 4350l of
storage. Splitting storage into 3 tanks must be easier to
install and handle but wondering if there is a disadvantage.

I must admit that I wouldn't be keen on the polypipe connections. The
upside is that they are visually reasonably good looking.

I must also be getting old and tight because for the amount you have
allowed, we got a 9,000 ltr concrete tank not so many years ago.

I have been planning to make up at least one of what the Poms would call
"water butts" from used 220 ltr olive containers and chemical containers
like these:
http://cracker.com.au/canterbury-ban...755/advert.htm

I even have the olive barrels which IIRC correctly cost me $20 each, and the
taps which have a gasket on either side and a screww that tightens up and
forms a seal on each side of the barrel wall. All I have to do is drill a
hole. Just haven't got around to finding my "round tuit" tool.

Old 28-09-2008, 04:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message

Dare I ask about pros and cons of the various brands of pressure pumps
commonly available?

Are they all more-or-less the same or do some stand out as better (price
ranges being similar). More importantly - any to stay away from?

Can't really help you too much there. Onga and Davey seem to be the most
common round here and we've (so far) had no problems from the Onga pumps we
have.

Old 28-09-2008, 05:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"tuppy" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for all the posts, looks like plastic is the way to
go, but I was asking about best value - Im on a budget of about $2000.
Want to get the biggest tanks I can get delivered for that. No pump, I
live on a slope so will gravity feed driplines.

Dynaplas seem to have a store on ebay!
delivery syd is only $95

looking at this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4350L-RAIN-WA...2.m153.l1 262
They seem to be joining 3 tanks via polypipe to make up 4350l of
storage. Splitting storage into 3 tanks must be easier to
install and handle but wondering if there is a disadvantage.

sellers store http://stores.ebay.com.au/yourippa-Truck-4wd-car-van

thanks
George

Bunnings have a 5000 litre job for $880. 2 of them and a bit of change.

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 29-09-2008, 12:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:02:09 -0700, tuppy wrote:

They seem to be joining 3 tanks via polypipe to make up 4350l of storage.
Splitting storage into 3 tanks must be easier to install and handle but
wondering if there is a disadvantage.

The best storage is the largest, tallest, circular tank you can install in
he space. Anything else is inefficent use of land space or an attempt to
maximise storage in weird spaces (side walkways, etc.

Old 29-09-2008, 12:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:16:09 +1000, wrote:

George, First up and yes, !!harsh!!, using Goggle Gropers as Usenet access
is not smart, at all.

"Goggle gropers" is usenet

Old 29-09-2008, 04:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Jeßus" wrote in message

Dare I ask about pros and cons of the various brands of pressure pumps
commonly available?

Are they all more-or-less the same or do some stand out as better (price
ranges being similar). More importantly - any to stay away from?

Can't really help you too much there. Onga and Davey seem to be the most
common round here and we've (so far) had no problems from the Onga pumps we
have.

No worries at all and thanks, it was mainly pure curiosity for the time
being.

I have a 5000 gal tank here, couldn't even tell you the brand of pump
offhand (was already set up when I bought the property).

But I am thinking about a much larger tank later down the track - I have
a permanent creek down the back of the property - water quality appears
excellent (although I haven't had it tested). Its the same water that
they use for the town water anyway.
Beyond the creek is all uphill to about 50m, so I'm thinking gravity
feed would work extremely well.
Old 29-09-2008, 08:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

We have 3 pressure pumps and a fire fighting pump. We've never had a
problem with the fire fighting pump but have had to replace all three
pressure pumps. We've lost 2 full tanks of house water (that I can recall)
and lost so many tanks of gardening water that I wouldn't be able to give
even a rough guesstimate of the number. Reasons include: cow eating poly
pipe, cow eating tank fitting, stock trough failure due to cow eating
fitting, stock trough failure due to stock trough fitting failure, pump
failure, multiple and differing human failures.

Shit happens.

I certainly hope it did, with little bits of poly fittings in. Or do cows not
survive eating plastic bits?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 29-09-2008, 09:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

I wrote:
If you have a high house and want to raise the tank onto a stand, then
the stand is likely to cost more than the tank! But a high tank means
that you are not held hostage to a pressure pump for gardening, and a
reliable 240 supply during hosing down during bushfire weather. The
poly tanks are happy to sit on a bed of builder's sand (the stuff that
has clay in it, and sets like cement with time). Make sure that the
edges can't get eroded over the years, and protect the tank from
accidental scraping from passing tractors, etc.

On reflection I think I used "decomposed granite", not builder's sand.

There have been cases during drought of someone returning home to find
that their precious store of rainwater has been spirited away by a tanker
truck during their absence.

Not the whole tank went missing, just its contents. :-)
Old 29-09-2008, 01:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

We have 3 pressure pumps and a fire fighting pump. We've never had a
problem with the fire fighting pump but have had to replace all three
pressure pumps. We've lost 2 full tanks of house water (that I can
recall)
and lost so many tanks of gardening water that I wouldn't be able to give
even a rough guesstimate of the number. Reasons include: cow eating poly
pipe, cow eating tank fitting, stock trough failure due to cow eating
fitting, stock trough failure due to stock trough fitting failure, pump
failure, multiple and differing human failures.

Shit happens.

I certainly hope it did, with little bits of poly fittings in. Or do cows
not
survive eating plastic bits?

We haven't lost one yet to poly pipe but I know of producers who have had
thier animals die from eating the stuff. The sodding things just love it
for some reason. They also like to chew bones too.