Old 30-09-2008, 07:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default best value water tanks??

Hi, 2 x $880 Bunnings tanks will give me 10000l for $1600 (.16/l)
probably the best Ill do at this price.

thanks for the info!

George

thanks
George

Bunnings have a 5000 litre job for $880. 2 of them and a bit of change.

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --- Hide quoted text -

Old 30-09-2008, 11:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"tuppy" wrote in message
Hi, 2 x $880 Bunnings tanks will give me 10000l for $1600 (.16/l)
probably the best Ill do at this price.

thanks for the info!

George

Not a problem may even be getting 1 for myself

Old 30-09-2008, 03:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

terryc writes:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:01:02 +0000, John Savage wrote:
If you have a high house and want to raise the tank onto a stand, then the
stand is likely to cost more than the tank!

Why not just sit it on the ground and buy a taller tank? Pressure is a
factor of the "head" (height of water above the tap), assuming you've
used at least 1/2" pipe and not a long run.

Best to ask those who sit tanks on stands. But a tank sitting on the
ground right outside your window can block a lot of view. If yard space
is at a premium, a water tank on a high stand can still allow you to see
out, and it will not block cooling breeze from that direction. Security
would come into it, too, you may not want a tank to block your line of
sight to the garage, street, neighbours, etc., or to offer cover to some
one trying to break in. Where the stand already exists, it might have a
garden or storage shed underneath. Some farm tanks have a gravity fed
shower underneath or alongside.

Filling a high tank from a well or an underground cement tank might be
preferred as a fire safety measure, offering a supply of low-pressure
water even should the electricity fail.

But a high tank means that you
are not held hostage to a pressure pump for gardening, and a reliable
240 supply during hosing down during bushfire weather.

Reliable mains and bushfires do not go together.

Which is why I didn't mention mains.
Old 30-09-2008, 03:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

"bassett" writes:
Anyone who buys a gal-tank these days has rocks in there heads.

Maybe, maybe not. The OP didn't say exactly what he/she wanted it for
or where he intended to locate it. But he did indicate that he lived in
the mountains.

I do know that after house fires there are usually two structures left
standing: the firebrick chimney, and the gal tank, and no one has
successfully seen out the loss of a house in a firestorm by taking refuge in
their chimney!

As for concrete tanks, Sure there OK, IF you can afford a large crane to
install the thing and if you can get the thing into the back yard in the
first place.

The OP never mentioned a yard, or a back yard, AFAIR so I made no assumptions.

When I was buying a tank 4 years ago, for the size we wanted we could get a
prefab concrete tank delivered ready to site on a lowloader with crane for
about the cost of a poly tank half its capacity. The concrete tank likewise
had a long life guarantee, and a guarantee that it would not be cracked
during install. I may be wrong, but I reckon that a cement tank should keep
the water cooler, in scorching summer heat, than does a PVC tank.

But I would agree that todays steel tanks are probably a mere shadow of the
quality of those that were manufactured 50 years ago. Though they must still
offer some advantage or they wouldn't be still being sold. Fire resistance
or melting point may well be one.

I think it cost around $500 for our pressure pump; quite a robust unit and of
capacity more than required for 98% of the time but the tank was to be used
for house, laundry and 2 garden taps simultaneously at times.
Old 30-09-2008, 04:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:04:41 +0000, John Savage wrote:

Best to ask those who sit tanks on stands.

There ain't no such one thing.

In urbn settings the household tank was usually situated so the bottom was
equal to or slightly higher than the kitchen sink tap and the top allowed
a gutter feed. most tanks were also around the back of the house.

I am yet to see any modern installaions where the rainwater tank is in the
front yard.

Anything else involves pumping.