Old 29-09-2008, 04:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default eucalyptus oil to control garden pests aphids....

Hi,

Has anyone else tried using Kevin Walsh, ABC radio, receipe for controlling
garden pests?

He includes

1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of biodegradable liquid detergent
500ml of water

Mix the ingredients together in a small sprayer. Always shake thoroughly
before each use.
Spray around seedlings and base of plants, and under leaves to ensure spray
actually contacts the insect it is trying to control.
Use to control many garden pests including aphids, pear and cherry slug,
caterpillars, whitefly, mealybugs, etc.
Do not store made up spray. Thoroughly wash sprayer after use.

Ingredients: 100% pure eucalyptus oil.

I thought of using it on my azaelas which have small black bugs underneath.

Old 29-09-2008, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

Has anyone else tried using Kevin Walsh, ABC radio, receipe for
controlling garden pests?

He includes

1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of biodegradable liquid detergent
500ml of water

Mix the ingredients together in a small sprayer. Always shake thoroughly
before each use.
Spray around seedlings and base of plants, and under leaves to ensure
spray actually contacts the insect it is trying to control.
Use to control many garden pests including aphids, pear and cherry slug,
caterpillars, whitefly, mealybugs, etc.
Do not store made up spray. Thoroughly wash sprayer after use.

Ingredients: 100% pure eucalyptus oil.

I thought of using it on my azaelas which have small black bugs
underneath.

I have been fighting aphinds here, I'm about 8km from Perth. Tried the
remnants of "bug Gun" and a "pyrethrum" trigger pack. Were still there a few
days later. Tried a mix of neem leaf extract, pyrethrum and methylated
spirits and still there 3 days later. Got the hose out and blasted them off
and 3 days later back again. Got the eucalyptus oil out and made up this mix
and will see how it goes. I have never notice aphids this bad. I used to
have one bush that got affected while the others remained virtually
untouched. I wandered next door to have a look at what was happening there
and the story is aphids down at least 3 inches under every bud. Something
has made it the aphids time. I just hope I have them knocked off before the
thrips arrive. I am looking forward to the first blooms after pruning in
late July and I am so disheartened by the numbers of aphids and just hope
the flowers will be ok.

Old 30-09-2008, 02:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"Loosecanon" wrote in message
news:48e0b7fb$0$22558$5a62ac22@per-qv1- I have been fighting aphinds here,
I'm about 8km from Perth. Tried the
remnants of "bug Gun" and a "pyrethrum" trigger pack. Were still there a
few days later. Tried a mix of neem leaf extract, pyrethrum and methylated

You could buy mix the mixture yourself using the stuff that sells at the
gardening shops to treat the aphids. Just make it a wee bit stronger.

In the meantime, the eucalyptus oil + soap combo seems to be working in my
garden. I checked it out - and there are only a very few aphids left. But
I'd suspect I'd have to spray the plants again on Friday - and then follow
it up every week.

Oh and by the way, spray in the evening. My neighbor sprayed his roses
during the hot day - and ended up scorching the leaves. Not pretty.

Old 30-09-2008, 02:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" writes:
Has anyone else tried using Kevin Walsh, ABC radio, receipe for controlling
garden pests?

He includes

1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of biodegradable liquid detergent
500ml of water

Mix the ingredients together in a small sprayer. Always shake thoroughly
before each use.
Spray around seedlings and base of plants, and under leaves to ensure spray
actually contacts the insect it is trying to control.
Use to control many garden pests including aphids, pear and cherry slug,
caterpillars, whitefly, mealybugs, etc.
Do not store made up spray. Thoroughly wash sprayer after use.

Ingredients: 100% pure eucalyptus oil.

I thought of using it on my azaelas which have small black bugs underneath.

I know nothing of it. But I'll point out that I've seen large bottles of
eucalyptus oil in the laundry area of supermarkets, where it is sold for
killing dust mites in the wash.

Try your spray on just one branch first off. Late afternoon might be a
good time, since it's oil based.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"John Savage" wrote in message
I know nothing of it. But I'll point out that I've seen large bottles of
eucalyptus oil in the laundry area of supermarkets, where it is sold for
killing dust mites in the wash.

Try your spray on just one branch first off. Late afternoon might be a
good time, since it's oil based.

That's what I'm using. Its actually intended for laundry use.

I used a cap full in a 1 litre spray the other day with some detergent soap
mixed inside.

I had a cut on my hand that day- and didn't want to use the normal pesticide
mix I usually use.

Let you know the results in a month's time of use.

Old 19-10-2008, 12:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Hi,

Having used the eucalyptus oil home made spray for over a month now... it
works. But...
I've found that the aphids seem to be coming back, especially on one Iceberg
whites. However the Mr Lincoln rose seems largely immune to the aphids
including the older 15 year old "Peace" rose.

The oil I think must still be killing them as you can see the dead black
aphids on the rose stems.

I increased the dosage 3 fold - using 3 small capfuls (teaspoons) instead of
one.

Perhaps its due to the hot weather we've been getting - more aphids seem to
be popping up. I had to spray the roses three times this week. Nonetheless,
it seems to be effective on most of the roses - and it does smell very
pleasant and its also easy to work with.

I have about 10 roses - roughly 10 years old.

I'm deploying an AQUA rose spray I bought from Bunnings - 1.5 litres for $3
and its even got metal parts for the plunger and nozzel. I'm amazed - 15
years back the same type was well over we10 times the price. I use one or
two fills for the roses. Easy to apply.

Old 20-10-2008, 02:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
[...]

I tried the suggestion of smearing vaseline around the stems of the
roses, but it didn't work (probably because I hadn't got much vaseline
left and didn't use enough for it to be effective). Instead, I tried
smearing with Vicks (of which I have a huge pot, being the mother of two
excessively snotty children). Guess what? No more aphids! I am *such* a
happy camper and thank the original vaseline poster (sorry, I forget who
you were) from the heart of my bottom! ;-D

PS. It's the ants, see. They cart the aphids up to the rose tips and
'farm' them for their honeydew. If you can stop the ants, you stop the
aphids! So, if the rose bush is in contact with anything the ants can
march on, find a way to make a barrier (vaseline or Vicks should work)
or tie the offending branch back. Good luck!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 20-10-2008, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
I tried the suggestion of smearing vaseline around the stems of the roses,
but it didn't work (probably because I hadn't got much vaseline left and
didn't use enough for it to be effective). Instead, I tried smearing with
Vicks (of which I have a huge pot, being the mother of two excessively
snotty children). Guess what? No more aphids! I am *such* a happy camper
and thank the original vaseline poster (sorry, I forget who you were) from
the heart of my bottom! ;-D

PS. It's the ants, see. They cart the aphids up to the rose tips and
'farm' them for their honeydew. If you can stop the ants, you stop the
aphids! So, if the rose bush is in contact with anything the ants can
march on, find a way to make a barrier (vaseline or Vicks should work) or
tie the offending branch back. Good luck!

--

Hmmm... never tried Vicks or Vaseline before. Will give that a go too!
Inventive!

Thanks.