Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default To many flowers on a lemon tree?

I have been struggling for a couple of years to get a small lemon tree
to flower then fruit. Finally got the soil in order and this year the
tree has generated a very large number of flowers, far too many for
them all to fruit.
My question is, do I allow the tree to go through a natural selection
process, or should I nip some of the buds early before the fruit
starts to set.
thanks
james

Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jpd1009" wrote in message
I have been struggling for a couple of years to get a small lemon tree
to flower then fruit. Finally got the soil in order and this year the
tree has generated a very large number of flowers, far too many for
them all to fruit.
My question is, do I allow the tree to go through a natural selection
process, or should I nip some of the buds early before the fruit
starts to set.
thanks
james

I would leave it alone for quite some time as many flowers and budding
fruits will fall naturally. Once the fruit get to about walnut size you
could thin them if there seems too many for the branch to hold if they all
grow full size.

David