Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default broken standard rose

hi,
the wild winds we are currently having have
snapped the top off one of my 3 standard blushing
pink icebergs
is there anyway to repair it? or is it beyond help????

thanks in advance

:-(
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

nagem67 wrote:
hi,
the wild winds we are currently having have snapped the top off one of
my 3 standard blushing pink icebergs
is there anyway to repair it? or is it beyond help????

thanks in advance

:-(

I'm no expert, but the exact same thing happened to a gum tree (the same
one I was asking about in an earlier post). I splinted the break with
two wooden school rulers and some teflon tape and now, thirty years
later, the tree is very large and in robust health! It might be
important to catch the damage quickly (that is, maybe it's a bit late
now?) but you could try.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

"nagem67" wrote in message
hi,
the wild winds we are currently having have snapped the top off one of my
3 standard blushing pink icebergs
is there anyway to repair it? or is it beyond help????

thanks in advance

:-(

If it has snapped below the graft it is stuffed. Only choice available then
is to tbud the pink iceberg back on. Also consider how you stake the plant.
You have to be able to support the weight of the top growth. The stem of a
standard after a few years just hasn't got the guts to do it.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
"nagem67" wrote in message
hi,
the wild winds we are currently having have snapped the top off one of my
3 standard blushing pink icebergs
is there anyway to repair it? or is it beyond help????

thanks in advance

:-(

If it has snapped below the graft it is stuffed. Only choice available then
is to tbud the pink iceberg back on. Also consider how you stake the plant.
You have to be able to support the weight of the top growth. The stem of a
standard after a few years just hasn't got the guts to do it.

hi, thanks for all the suggestions,
the rose is completely stuffed !!! I'm so sad as
it was one of 3 from my kids.....
the poor thing just didn't have a chance and today
is all withered and really not happy..

now I"m off to look for a replacement ( I bet that
won't be easy, or cheap )

cheers
all