Old 15-10-2008, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Pattersons' Curse

Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

Old 15-10-2008, 12:46 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Linda" wrote in message
Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

If you do not want to call it Patterson's curse, you can call it Salvation
Jane. Goats go absolutely nuts over the flowers, they will go thru a paddock
and only eat the flowers. Beekeepers love it as well.

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 15-10-2008, 05:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

Linda wrote:
Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

ROTFL!!! Weeds make *great* specimen plants and Paterson's Curse is no
exception. Keep in it a pot in case it feels like taking over your yard.
You'll be interested to know one of its European names: Viper's Bugloss.
Isn't that great?

I've currently got a white clover in a hanging basket. It makes a lovely
show, spilling over the basket and eventually making a bridal veil of
honey-scented flowers!

A few weeks ago, I noticed some Red Clover growing on the roadside verge
at the Beresfield Interchange, near Maitland. My long-suffering DH
drove me out there and we parked precariously on the verge while
rush-hour traffic passed us by. Drivers were looking at us most
curiously as we busily dug up a half-dozen Red Clovers to take home.
I've got them in pots and they're flowering beautifully. They don't seem
to have the same growth habit as the White Dutch (which is a trailing
plant). Instead the Red Clover grows upright as a low (two foot or so)
shrubby herb. It's so pretty! Now, the search is on for a Strawberry
Clover. I used to see quite a bit of it when I lived in Armidale, but
haven't seen any near N'cle. Haresfoot Trefoil is interesting too.

Let us know how your Paterson's Curse gets on, won't you? ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 16-10-2008, 02:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

F...ing ghastly. But then I live on a farm and we spend a lot of time and
herbicide trying to eradicate each and every one.

But, having said that, it is a garden escapee, so it came here as a
decorative plant, so it does have garden value. Depends on where you live
I guess. If you live in the middle of farmland then don't plant it or your
neighbours will hate you. If you live in the city, then go ahead.

Reminds me of a story. Years ago, a friend of Scots origins was having her
40th birthday. My husband, who has a wickedly dry sense of humour, took my
welding gloves, went off to the back paddock and came back with a huge bunch
of Scotch thistle flowers. We went to her party and he presented her with
the sheaf of Scotch thistles. She laughed and everyone else there whooped
and hollared and poured scorn on my husband. Our friend put them in a big
vase anyway and put them in the middle of her sideboard.

About an hour later a family from Sydney arrived, saw the Scothch thisles
and went in raptures about these gorgeous flowers. Where did she get them?
How much did they cost? (They must have been expensive!) They must have
them in their garden!

All we rural dwelling people were simply dumbstruck.

Old 16-10-2008, 09:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:07:04 +0800, "Linda"
wrote:

Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

Yep, it sure is a beaut colour.

But don't praise it too loudly in farming areas, where they spend
untold amounts, to no avail it seems, to get rid of it.

You may get lynched for propogating it further.

Manya farm paddock is completely overrun with it.

Old 16-10-2008, 09:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Linda wrote:
[...]

LOL I so enjoyed reading your post :-) Thank goodness I am not alone in
thinking that weeds have so much to offer as well as being easy to grow!
Will keep you posted!
Linda (Perth WA)

Old 16-10-2008, 09:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
[...]

I totally understand where you are coming from after all, this is your
livelihood we're talking about!
I guess it's true though 'one mans weed is another woman's treasure'...or
something like that.
May your crops be fruitful
Linda (Perth WA)

Old 16-10-2008, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

Yep, it sure is a beaut colour.

But don't praise it too loudly in farming areas, where they spend
untold amounts, to no avail it seems, to get rid of it.

You may get lynched for propogating it further.

Manya farm paddock is completely overrun with it.

Oh bugger I don't want to be a trouble maker!
I promise not to let it spread like what happened to the tadpoles- frogs.
Once on my evening walk, suddenly everyone had frogs croaking in there front
yard after my tadpoles left home.
I was so excited when they got legs!
Linda (Perth WA)

Old 16-10-2008, 03:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

Yep, it sure is a beaut colour.

But don't praise it too loudly in farming areas, where they spend
untold amounts, to no avail it seems, to get rid of it.

You may get lynched for propogating it further.

Many a farm paddock is completely overrun with it.

Yep ... you should see those paddocks in the Swan Shire just north of
Perth where appropriate control measures have not been taken. Looks
pretty, but has ruined a lot of pasture paddocks. It is a declared
"noxious weed".

Having just spent three weeks helping a friend clean this rubbish off
the hay and pasture on his farm (and this is a three year effort before
you can be reasonably sure the land is clean, I can support the "lynch
'em" reaction to anyone propagating this stuff Patterson's Curse
strangles other worthwhile plants and can be poisonous to stock. Seeds
picked up from adjacent proprties can be dropped back on your clean land
by birds and foxes.

However, better than I can put it:
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/PW/WEED/DECP/patersons_curse_fn.pdf
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/PW/WEED/DECP/patersons_curse_fn.pdf
http://www.seedquest.com/News/releases/2007/may/19227.htm
http://www.seedquest.com/News/releases/2007/may/19227.htm

Apologies for coming on a bit strong, but while I too think the flowers
pretty, and can remember wondering back in the 1960s at the beauty of
the purple hills north of Adelaide, this plant is up there with the
weeds strangling waterways etc. It is loved by beekeepers for
production of quality honey, but is loathed by farm folk. Once
established, it is extremely difficult to eradicate.

avagoodone
giovani
Old 16-10-2008, 03:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

Yep, it sure is a beaut colour.

But don't praise it too loudly in farming areas, where they spend
untold amounts, to no avail it seems, to get rid of it.

You may get lynched for propogating it further.

Manya farm paddock is completely overrun with it.

Oh bugger I don't want to be a trouble maker!
I promise not to let it spread like what happened to the tadpoles- frogs.
Once on my evening walk, suddenly everyone had frogs croaking in there front
yard after my tadpoles left home.
I was so excited when they got legs!
Linda (Perth WA)

Nothing wrong with lots of frogs, unless they are Cane Toads
While frogs can be very noisy, they are an indicator of a healthy
environment. You are to be congratulated for spreading them.

Unfortunately, with the expansion of the urban environment and the
increasing use of "nasty" sprays, frogs are dying out in nature.
--
avagoodone
giovani

Old 16-10-2008, 10:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"giovani" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Yea the poor old frogs have about as much future as the Dockers or Eagles.
Hehehehe

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 17-10-2008, 05:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Linda" wrote:

Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

Rool, rool bad. Plenty of it in Western NSW. One of the farmers we stayed
with told us that the CSIRO have brought out a bug against it, which is
reasonably effective though slow to start. The stuff will grow in uniform
sheets if you let it, without a blade of grass to be seen between the plants.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 17-10-2008, 08:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I sorry but it only takes one plant to cause havoc. I am a weed officer in
local government and have dealt with weeds for many years. Please anyone
reading this, no noxious weeds should be grown at home. The cost to
Australia is huge.

Old 18-10-2008, 04:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

VERY BAD.

it will reproduce at a frankly astonishing rate, it will colonise anywhere
(even rock-hard, bone-dry clay), it crowds out plants you want, and many of
us spend effort getting rid of the horrible stuff - whereas spreading it
requires almost no effort whatsoever. jackie french says one plant can
colonise 50 square metres, or something like that (i'd back that, we had a
small problem with it in our orchard but did nothing about it for 18
months - so now it's on teh verge of becoming impossible to deal with
manually, so we've moved on it this spring & are pulling every single plant
prior to flowering where possible, (and are likely to be doing so with new
ones for a few years yet) - whereas when we first came to our house there
were only a couple of plants of it - presumably recently arrived). even
chickens won't eat it, it's vile. if you only slash it, it reflowers close
to the ground so you can't slash it successfully again. in closing, the
hairy stems can irritate your skin if you've been in contact. there is
nothing good to be said of it whatsoever!!!

many weeds can be quite pretty, and some are even ok because they can't
spread beyond certain conditions - but paterson's curse doesn't have these
ameliorating qualities :-)
kylie

Old 18-10-2008, 05:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
"giovani" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Given this is a gardening ng and not a.s.aussie-rules, presume you are
using a trowel rather than a spoon to dig and stir? ;-P
The WA teams will bounce back.

Apologies to others in this ng for straying OT
--
avagoodone
giovani